Rural Hospital - Non-Surgical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SouthPod7

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently MSG employed in Florida. Currently looking into some rural work closer to where my family lives. There is one particular hospital that is interested but they are VERY rural and do not have an OR. How feasible is it for a Podiatrist to work full-time at such a location while also being non-surgical? I feel like a significant portion of the revenue that we generate (especially in rural locations) is OR based.

Super specific scenario but has anyone had experience with full-time rural hospital non-surgical employment?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently MSG employed in Florida. Currently looking into some rural work closer to where my family lives. There is one particular hospital that is interested but they are VERY rural and do not have an OR. How feasible is it for a Podiatrist to work full-time at such a location while also being non-surgical? I feel like a significant portion of the revenue that we generate (especially in rural locations) is OR based.

Super specific scenario but has anyone had experience with full-time rural hospital non-surgical employment?
What is the population of the area you would be serving? I think this would be the most helpful information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Less than 12k. Maybe 9k-10k or something like that.
Man it'd be tough to not even have the option of surgery. Seems crazy that a hospital couldn't at least start a 1 room OR outpatient surgery center or something to that effect. Of course, there's plenty of money in wound care--especially if you don't have the option to do a Keller--so you see that patient with the big toe wound until they turn 90 and die...

Reactions: 1 users
It is feasible. My two friends work for IHS in a very rural area of the country. They drive 2 hours to work. No call, 4 days a week and lots of days off. Both of them love it as it pays extremely well for the amount of work they do. Great quality of life. However they both feel that they closed many doors by taking that job. It would be tough to go from that to a surgical practice somewhere else. So think about that opportunity cost.

Do you think that patient population can give you sustained volume to generate income? I don’t think so.

Or is this a straight salary + work production bonus position?
Somewhere and I dont remember the source but I remember seeing 20k/DPM in the community is the recommended saturation level.

Anyone else heard this?

Reactions: 1 user
Somewhere and I dont remember the source but I remember seeing 20k/DPM in the community is the recommended saturation level.

Anyone else heard this?
I did like 1500 RVUs a year with a reach of about 12k....

Man it'd be tough to not even have the option of surgery. Seems crazy that a hospital couldn't at least start a 1 room OR outpatient surgery center or something to that effect. Of course, there's plenty of money in wound care--especially if you don't have the option to do a Keller--so you see that patient with the big toe wound until they turn 90 and die...

Whoa, you can do a Keller to fix a big toe wound?

-NP wound care provider

That is big enough to start an OR. Hospitals are a more willing to pay more in clinic if you do OR as well. It doesnt sound bad though, depends on the pay. They want you bad enough they will pay and not worry about OR.
I have a friend who does a lot of the OR stuff in office. Most bunions, hammer toes etc under local. There is a limit there, but just a thought.

Most bunions, hammer toes etc under local. There is a limit there, but just a thought.

My thought is you couldn't pay me enough to do that crap.

I mean, actually you probably could but...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Anyone else heard this?
This is commonly passed around, but a lot depends on payers and if the DPMs are part or full-time, offering all services, etc.

In actuality, I've never seen a city, especially a metro, with less than 1 DPM per 20k population... it's typically much higher. For example, if you look at the USA with 300M ppl and 20k DPMs (not exact numbers but for easy math), that's only 15k :1 ratio. Sure, some DPMs are part-time, but some people never go to doctors also. I'm sure the 'underserved' cities and towns exist, but personally, I have never found one. Ever. I would guess most of FL probably has a terrible ratio, but it works with all the DPM geriatric care. Most of the underserved highly rural areas are tiny and nowhere near 20k (like the one OP is looking at). Some areas are absolutely better to practice than others, but the 20k+ ppl to one DPM seems enigmatic just based on the hard population and DPM stats.

Also, for demographics, I would also count each area F&A ortho as 2 or 3 if you want to do surgery... so 100k city can support maybe 5-8 DPMs... or 3-4 DPMs and a F&A ortho (although they'd typically be in bigger metro than that, but you get the idea). If a DPM just wants to do PPMR stuff with derm and nail, wound, etc... then the F&A orthos or other orthos who do a lot of F&A work don't matter so much - but other DPMs matter even more to those non-op DPMs.

I think my currency city has 15k ppl, and there are 3 DPMs (all part time here... I'm busiest at 3d/wk), but there is also a sizable surrounding catch area of other towns and a bit from the nearest metro. The small metro of my other office nearby is maybe 125k, but it has probably close to 12-15+ DPMs (some part time there, including me)... but although it's technically way over-saturated by the numbers, it is nowhere near as bad as other places I've worked or looked at.

Personally, I think that you can compete anywhere if you have the offerings and are willing to go meet some PCPs. I wouldn't start up in a city of less than 10k or without reasonable catch area (so there's still plenty if a strong competitor moved in). It's a different story if a hospital wants to pay a DPM there and take all of the risk, though. It's sure easier with better payers, with less other DPMs, and once you get the referral patterns established.

The metros are really hard to get going in unless you want to see a lot of the crap payers to get up and running (and personally, I just dislike big cities, haha). The best locations, in my eyes, are usually the suburb cities maybe 30-60mins from the metro where you have growth of the suburb itself, growth of the associated metro, and good payers... but the groups from the metros haven't expanded there yet or only have a weak part-time presence since their providers and/or staff who live in the metro don't want to drive there. Those can work well (and can probably effectively give you a 20k+ ratio, especially if you draw a bit from the metro or other towns that are nearby to your suburb... but any growth area will attract competition eventually).

I don't mind the other DPMs, though... it tends to help you if they send you surgery or it will make you look good if you fix stuff they were bumbling with. I treat all of them good unless they give me a reason not to, and it works. I get second opinions from most in my area (either DPMs send to me, their PCP steers frustrated pts to me, or pts of other DPMs find me if they're not getting better)... and I'm sure it works the other way a bit also. In general, the competition usually limits itself since docs/groups who come in part-time can never make full-time if they're not doing good care and good networking.

If somebody has that 30k or 40k ppl per DPM place and it's not in Canada or some place with helligh weather or all medicaid, that's a unicorn!

Last edited:
This is commonly passed around, but a lot depends on payers and if the DPMs are part or full-time, offering all services, etc.

In actuality, I've never seen a city, especially a metro, with less than 1 DPM per 20k population... it's typically much higher. For example, if you look at the USA with 300M ppl and 20k DPMs (not exact numbers but for easy math), that's only 15k :1 ratio. Sure, some DPMs are part-time, but some people never go to doctors also. I'm sure the 'underserved' cities and towns exist, but personally, I have never found one. Ever. I would guess most of FL probably has a terrible ratio, but it works with all the DPM geriatric care. Most of the underserved highly rural areas are tiny and nowhere near 20k (like the one OP is looking at). Some areas are absolutely better to practice than others, but the 20k+ ppl to one DPM seems enigmatic just based on the hard population and DPM stats.

Also, for demographics, I would also count each area F&A ortho as 2 or 3 if you want to do surgery... so 100k city can support maybe 5-8 DPMs... or 3-4 DPMs and a F&A ortho (although they'd typically be in bigger metro than that, but you get the idea). If a DPM just wants to do PPMR stuff with derm and nail, wound, etc... then the F&A orthos or other orthos who do a lot of F&A work don't matter so much - but other DPMs matter even more to those non-op DPMs.

I think my currency city has 15k ppl, and there are 3 DPMs (all part time here... I'm busiest at 3d/wk), but there is also a sizable surrounding catch area of other towns and a bit from the nearest metro. The small metro of my other office nearby is maybe 125k, but it has probably close to 12-15+ DPMs (some part time there, including me)... but although it's technically way over-saturated by the numbers, it is nowhere near as bad as other places I've worked or looked at.

Personally, I think that you can compete anywhere if you have the offerings and are willing to go meet some PCPs. I wouldn't start up in a city of less than 10k or without reasonable catch area (so there's still plenty if a strong competitor moved in). It's a different story if a hospital wants to pay a DPM there and take all of the risk, though. It's sure easier with better payers, with less other DPMs, and once you get the referral patterns established.

The metros are really hard to get going in unless you want to see a lot of the crap payers to get up and running (and personally, I just dislike big cities, haha). The best locations, in my eyes, are usually the suburb cities maybe 30-60mins from the metro where you have growth of the suburb itself, growth of the associated metro, and good payers... but the groups from the metros haven't expanded there yet or only have a weak part-time presence since their providers and/or staff who live in the metro don't want to drive there. Those can work well (and can probably effectively give you a 20k+ ratio, especially if you draw a bit from the metro or other towns that are nearby to your suburb... but any growth area will attract competition eventually).

I don't mind the other DPMs, though... it tends to help you if they send you surgery or it will make you look good if you fix stuff they were bumbling with. I treat all of them good unless they give me a reason not to, and it works. I get second opinions from most in my area (either DPMs send to me, their PCP steers frustrated pts to me, or pts of other DPMs find me if they're not getting better)... and I'm sure it works the other way a bit also. In general, the competition usually limits itself since docs/groups who come in part-time can never make full-time if they're not doing good care and good networking.

If somebody has that 30k or 40k ppl per DPM place and it's not in Canada or some place with helligh weather or all medicaid, that's a unicorn!
75k:1 right here....close to Canada but eh. But I have to work for that 75k people

Last edited:
Wound care nurses should just treat sacral wounds and…sacral wounds.

They have no business managing lower extremity wounds. NONE.
If you cant debride a wound you shouldnt be treating one.

And if you dont know when a wound is surgical - you also shouldnt be treating one.

Reactions: 4 users
If you cant debride a wound you shouldnt be treating one.

And if you dont know when a wound is surgical - you also shouldnt be treating one.
Tell this to the pods that put on weekly piecemealed EpiFix and Grafix for months and months. And then brag about the big houses and fancy cars they drive.

• Haha

Part time work is interesting to me, did you go into this gig knowing it was part time? What's the word nowadays on part time salary offers?

I live in Northern NY and I took a job in very rural part of NY about 3 years ago. My salary is a non surgical podiatrist salary based on MGMA. I do have OR time once a month. My podiatry office is in the top 3 revenue makers for the hospital and I am mostly non surgical. When I told them I was leaving they would have gave me more money but I said there was nothing that could make me stay.

Reactions: 4 users
Tell this to the pods that put on weekly piecemealed EpiFix and Grafix for months and months. And then brag about the big houses and fancy cars they drive.
They have their place but I rarely use them.

The few times I've used Epifix it didn't work very well.

Puraply I have had great results with in chronic wounds that despite no matter what I do wont heal. But my experience is about 3 patients in 5 years.

Do you think that patient population can give you sustained volume to generate income? I don’t think so.

Or is this a straight salary + work production bonus position?

It would be straight salary. No option to bonus. It's like an IHS facility but independent/tribal hospital.

When I told them I was leaving they would have gave me more money but I said there was nothing that could make me stay.

Why did you leave?

It would be straight salary. No option to bonus. It's like an IHS facility but independent/tribal hospital.

Why did you leave?
If its above 250K I would say yes to that. I bet you could negotiate much higher though if there is a severe need. No surgery and a low population area? I doubt you would work very hard.

Part time work is interesting to me, did you go into this gig knowing it was part time? What's the word nowadays on part time salary offers?
I'm full time for a large PP pod group that has many offices... just part time in each city 3/2 split at two of their offices, block out some office mornings when surgery comes up.

...I just meant that I'm part time for each of my areas when considering the 20k ppl to 1 DPM full time ratio idea. I probably could've been more clear on that.

Why did you leave?
Mostly because of family. My wife does not like the area and requested to leave. She also stated she was going to move at some point and I could stay where I am which would be over 2 hours from her and the kids. I found a job the pays similar and I will be at one location 5 mins from where we bought our house in the suburbs.

In rural medicine, the population of the town you're practicing in doesn't matter. People will drive from 1.5-2 hours away to see you if we are talking true rural. So you really have to add up the population of all the little towns in that radius to come up with a patient base population--in some cases that could equal the big cities no problem. If that's what you meant, and it's still only about 12K, then yeah--that's the middle of nowhere...

In rural medicine, the population of the town you're practicing in doesn't matter. People will drive from 1.5-2 hours away to see you if we are talking true rural. So you really have to add up the population of all the little towns in that radius to come up with a patient base population--in some cases that could equal the big cities no problem. If that's what you meant, and it's still only about 12K, then yeah--that's the middle of nowhere...
Yes, for most places... you consider the whole catch area (office/hospital town + nearby smaller towns + nearby villages + maybe portion of other little towns that go you your office town or may go to other town providers also).

But in OP situation of IHS hospital, all that matters is the tribal population who use (or can use) that facility. The general population (Asian, white, black, Hispanic, etc) can't be seen at the IHS places (just the ER... then must f/u elsewhere), since the govt funds for the payers and the hospital, supplies, staffing, vehicles, etc are earmarked for care of only the CDIB card population. It's kinda a wacky situation.

There are some situations where the govt or govt-fund related facilities will pay docs well for not doing much... but just beware of bad admins, bad staffing, undersupplied, workload increases 50-100% or more if another doc leaves, etc. There are a lot of pitfalls, but less patients in the area is actually not a bad thing when it's straight salary. The bad things there are mainly desolate area and neutering your surgery/job prospects for the rest of your career if you take a non-op job. I would never consider that, but every situation and DPM is unique.

Yes. The county is what matters. And nearest big city. Although in rural medicine you need to redefine "big"

Yup my hospital draws from all over the county with has about 100k people in it and any county that touches it. But the town is only about 10k. My other main office is located in a village of 7k.

Ah, I didn't realize the OP was talking bout IHS. In that case, why worry about revenue? Don't you just see whoever shows up and make the same salary/benefits?

Last edited:
If you are salaried then population doesn’t matter and being a tribal clinic is even better because you won’t get anyone who isn’t a tribal member trying to schedule with you. As a salaried doc your job is to do as little as possible. The patient population will be frustrating on the Rez but then again, no OR means you send them to air bud when they need the amputation and the tribe pays him to do that.

Long story short, population is meaningless. The location and the pay are the only thing that matter if you’re salaried without production. Well, if you’re young then no OR means no ABFAS board cert which would probably make it a deal breaker…

First, thank you everybody for the great responses and discussion.

I guess my chief concern was like CutsWithFury was saying as in is there enough volume to justify a 200-250k salary? This is my first experience with government/IHS/tribe whatever so I guess I was afraid that they would bring me on, I would have like 3-5 patients a day and then after a year they would be like "Yeah, you're actually costing us money. Get out." That's why the lack of OR worries me because it will greatly limit my productivity. But I guess IHS doesn't care how productive you are?

I guess my chief concern was like CutsWithFury was saying as in is there enough volume to justify a 200-250k salary? This is my first experience with government/IHS/tribe whatever so I guess I was afraid that they would bring me on, I would have like 3-5 patients a day and then after a year they would be like "Yeah, you're actually costing us money. Get out." That's why the lack of OR worries me because it will greatly limit my productivity. But I guess IHS doesn't care how productive you are?
Ah OK, valid concern. I just don't think the government thinks that way (like in a business sense)...they'll probably see that you're bored seeing 3-5 patients a day and give you a raise so that you'll stick around longer. The government answer is to keep throwing more money at the problem (unless you're talking about Medicare), so I think you'll be good!

Here's to rural people.

1654727333135.png

When I walk in and find these sitting on the counter.

"Are these for me or would you like me to use them to do your procedure?"

Here's to rural people.

View attachment 356049

When I walk in and find these sitting on the counter.

"Are these for me or would you like me to use them to do your procedure?"
Oh yeah, I have been gifted many things like that. Hand carved knives, walking poles etc. The ultimate sign of respect is giving you access to their private land for fishing/hunting.

All you big city folk probably get stuff like "come by my store, I give you good deal on new rug."

IHS works more like this:

They get a truckload of money from govt (taxes).
If they don't use the money, their truckload may get smaller in future years.
They do their best to use the whole truckload.
Any money they actually make is good, but not too consequential.
You will see massive rich/poor gaps on the Rez and other similar places from the corruption of the funding. There are a ton of backdoor deals and shady things and weird politics going on (not unlike most private hospitals).

It is not their earned money, so they have plenty of over/underpaid docs. Efficiency and productivity are not really rewarded very much, so you see an interesting mix of young docs paying loans, incompetent docs who failed boards and wouldn't get a job hardly anywhere else, locums docs ranging good to poor, and a few talented "WTF are you doing here" docs also. The smart ones just keep their head down and find ways to block out clinic chunks and cash the checks and wait for seniority raises (I was not smart, did not enjoy the status quo of collective loafing).

That is also why the malpractice is capped for VA, IHS, etc... the 'insurance' $ pool and the hospital/docs money pool is basically all the same pool. They don't want people getting huge settlements since that would just be taken from the hospital/doc pool when that same tribal or veteran pool gave them the insurance/care to begin with.

10k for IHS is plenty, though. You have to realize that a huge % of population is unemployed or under... they all have insurance. It is different than regular PP. There is a lot of DM and wound care. You will be busier than you'd think (again, not the best thing if straight salary). I would be very surprised if they paid you $250k or even $200k for non-op (tribal doesn't have to do parity pay), but you never know if you don't ask. GL

Last edited:
IHS can get even trickier to understand when the tribe owns something like a casino that is wildly profitable. The tribe can use additional tribal money (aka casino profits) to cover their tribal members who may need services outside of the IHS system and/or when fed money runs out. Other tribes will have systems where they have a set amount of money to use for the year and when that money runs out, a local hospital system may not get paid for services that they provide for tribal members that aren’t covered by some state program (Medicaid) which tribal members may be members of. So when I was doing locums in one location, they would often times be able to bill and get paid for services from the tribe Jan-Oct and then nothing else for the last two months would be reimbursed.

I think if a tribal clinic is willing to pay a salary they will pay it as long as you are willing to provide coverage almost regardless of how productive you think you are/aren’t. But, as mentioned before, without logging cases board cert and even future surgical privileges (when you can’t show experience/recent volume) can get denied.

Reactions: 2 users