What is a "Categorical Transitional Year"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elhalish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was searching for all transitional year programs today and some have the position listed as transitional year (categorical) or just Categorical (with the Specialty heading at the top saying Transitional Year). I thought "Transitional Year (preliminary)" was the standard. Are these just variations of the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone?! I am not trying to figure out the difference between a categorical and a transitional year. I am trying to figure out why some Transitional Year positions are listed as being (Categorical) and others as (Preliminary).

Thanks.

anyone?! I am not trying to figure out the difference between a categorical and a transitional year. I am trying to figure out why some Transitional Year positions are listed as being (Categorical) and others as (Preliminary).

Thanks.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the "Categorical TY" positions are for people who will take advanced residencies at that institution. But I'm just guessing. You could always call and find out.

Calling the program to ask is the easy way out. Gotta sweat it out on SDN until you get an answer.