What if you caught a classmate cheating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgiagirl3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been searching the boards and have seen this question come up many times, but have yet to see an answer for it. I searched for answers but am having hard time finding them. I know there is not a correct answer, but there must be an answer that fits best when being interviewed for DPT school.

What is the appropriate type of answer when asked 'What would you do if you saw a classmate cheating?" What would you do if you saw your best friend cheating in class?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In high school my chemistry teacher caught a student who wanted to become a nurse cheating. He told her that someone could die because she cheated (of course I'm sure he meant cheating habitually even in college). While a person might not die if we cheat our way through school, we owe it to our patients to honestly get through the program so we don't advise them to do something that could cause long term damage. Even so, it would be difficult to "snitch" but when you look at from the patients perspective, you'd have to turn them in. At least that's how I would answer the question.

Members don't see this ad :)
We were 2 pages deep for this topic:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=791230
Hope it helps.

Short answer you follow academic guidelines for students if you are the "by the book type". No matter how you approach it academic dishonesty shouldn't be tolerated.

Hi there, thanks I did see that thread, but didn't see a clear cut answer that would be most appropriate for answering in an interview. So would it be best to talk to that student first, or simply report their name (no anonymity) to the professor on first offense?

Hi there, thanks I did see that thread, but didn't see a clear cut answer that would be most appropriate for answering in an interview. So would it be best to talk to that student first, or simply report their name (no anonymity) to the professor on first offense?

Personally I don't think there is a set answer for this. I think its totally up to the individual and how you feel about academic dishonesty and what you deem the best course of action would be. Try to see yourself in this exact situation and answer honestly. That's just my opinion though...

I don't think there is a "clear cut" answer. Just answer how you feel about it. For me I would confront the student and let them know that I saw them cheating and then explain the consequences of their actions. Then I would ask them why they were cheating because cheating in class is not going to help them pass the NPTE. I would then explain that if I saw them cheat again, I would be forced to tell the professor.

Cheating is definitely wrong, but I would not turn somebody in unless I was 100% sure that they were cheating.

I actually caught two people cheating in my AP chem class on Friday. I don't know who was helping who though. The both know I saw them. I just shook my head in disapproval. I have to go to school with both of them for four more months. One of them might be going to Philadelphia College of Pharmacy with me..

Personally I don't think there is a set answer for this. I think its totally up to the individual and how you feel about academic dishonesty and what you deem the best course of action would be. Try to see yourself in this exact situation and answer honestly. That's just my opinion though...

+1. There are not set right and wrong answers to a lot of these interview questions. When I interviewed, they really were just trying to get to know us better. Just think about what you would do. For instance, I personally think high school cheating and grad school cheating are totally different things.. Everything we learn is just so important now.. cheating just cannot be tolerated. Whether it's talking to that student about it, or turning them in.. that's your call.