What hospital positions are open to EMT-B and EMT-I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rrotz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for something in hospital care, nursing assistance. I am requalifying for my EMT Certificate and would like to spend a few years pre-hospital care then settle into a hospital environment.

I am also interested in getting a Surgical Tech certificate and or LVN/LPN. Has anyone gone this route? Thoughts on the Surgical Tech position?

Members don't see this ad.

Your sub text says "Flight Medic" ?????

Anyway, it really depends on the system. Some hospitals use EMT's as tech's...some don't. You will have to check with the hospital you want to work at.

EMT vs. LPN vs Surg Tech are completely different jobs. If your ultimate goal is to be a surg tech...do that and skip all the rest. You don't have to be one before the other.

dgmedic said:
Your sub text says "Flight Medic" ?????

Anyway, it really depends on the system. Some hospitals use EMT's as tech's...some don't. You will have to check with the hospital you want to work at.

EMT vs. LPN vs Surg Tech are completely different jobs. If your ultimate goal is to be a surg tech...do that and skip all the rest. You don't have to be one before the other.

I was a duster in the Army for 3 years.

I think I'm leaning towards Surg Tech or LPN but still want the EMT certificate to refresh my previous training. I've been out of the field for 7 years now.