What happen when your GPA is too low for med school? What alternative career can you pursue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ki-100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let say your GPA is bad and you are stuck with a biology degree. What are other career options you can pursue.

Members don't see this ad.

How low we talking?

For professional schools, I think that the bare minimum for most people is around 2.7-2.9 GPA to feel confident that they can continue on and will be accepted somewhere. This will get you access to Nursing schools, large Pharmacy schools, and depending on your MCAT, large Podiatry schools.

Next threshold is 3.0-3.3 minimums. This, depending on your tests scores, will get you into most Pharmacy, Podiatry, most Optometry, and maybe DO schools with a stellar MCAT and an otherwise good application.

Next tier is 3.4-3.6. This, depending on your entrance scores will get you into most DO schools with an acceptable MCAT, Pod schools with scholarship, Optometry schools, and depending on your DAT, Dental schools.

Next is 3.7+. This tier gives you access to MD schools if your MCAT is high enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Podiatry is doable with a 3.0 and 500 MCAT. Compensation for pods is going up but still nowhere near MD/DO for what is effectively the same length/residency to practice.
Dentistry/Pharmacy/Optometry will be around DO stats.

That being said reinventers on these forums have gotten into MD/DO after getting sub 3.0 GPAs from undergrad. I think theres a guy who pulled himself up from a 2.0 and is Matriculating this (last?) year. It does however take years of work.

Dentistry is a bit more difficult than DO to get into

Optometry only needs a 3.2 and a decent oat.

Pharmacy averages are wayyy down. 2.7-3.0 will get you into large schools.

Podiatry is doable with a 3.0 and 500 MCAT. Compensation for pods is going up but still nowhere near MD/DO for what is effectively the same length/residency to practice.

That being said reinventers on these forums have gotten into MD/DO after getting sub 3.0 GPAs from undergrad. I think theres a guy who pulled himself up from a 2.0 and is Matriculating this (last?) year. It does however take years of work.

Dentistry is a bit more difficult than DO to get into

Optometry only needs a 3.2 and a decent oat.

Pharmacy averages are wayyy down. 2.7-3.0 will get you into large schools.
Pharmacy is rapidly oversaturating, like Law. I've been told that up to five of the newer schools are either on or heading for probation. I think one of the newer schools had something like a 50% failure rate, and the accreditors had the school stop admitting new students until they cleaned up their act. Perhaps some the Pharm students on SDN can shed light?

Reactions: 1 user
You can also do an alternative route in healthcare and be a consultant for Epic or Cerner. I did that and traveled all over the nation and worked alongside physicians. Plus, there are chances to work abroad for a couple of months! My friend was pre-med, but loved the job and perks so much she decided to stay. The pay is pretty nice and you get to keep your travel points :) I fly for free still.

Pod is fine with a 3.0 and a 495 MCAT

3.0 and 494 = Pod
3.2 and 500 = DO (primarily new schools)
3.6 and 506 = MD (resident state)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good feedback

I feel like you are gonna need a 510+ MCAT w/ a 3.6 cGPA.

Obviously, it depends on several factors - upward trend? EC's, LOR's, etc.. Also depends on what state you live in, but say for instance you are coming from Massachusetts. Median cGPA is like 3.77 and median MCAT is 515 for in-state acceptances. That's tough cookies.

Reactions: 1 user
You can also do an alternative route in healthcare and be a consultant for Epic or Cerner. I did that and traveled all over the nation and worked alongside physicians. Plus, there are chances to work abroad for a couple of months! My friend was pre-med, but loved the job and perks so much she decided to stay. The pay is pretty nice and you get to keep your travel points :) I fly for free still.
Cann you elaborate more on epic consultant and Cerner? Thank you.

Cann you elaborate more on epic consultant and Cerner? Thank you.

Like what CJhooper123 said. You do a lot such meeting with clients to help build their EMR, train physicians and then help them when the system goes live. It's great experience.

Like what CJhooper123 said. You do a lot such meeting with clients to help build their EMR, train physicians and then help them when the system goes live. It's great experience.

Northeast Epic reps were pretty helpful w/ our transition to Epic notewriter lol.
#scribestruggle

I feel like you are gonna need a 510+ MCAT w/ a 3.6 cGPA.

Obviously, it depends on several factors - upward trend? EC's, LOR's, etc.. Also depends on what state you live in, but say for instance you are coming from Massachusetts. Median cGPA is like 3.77 and median MCAT is 515 for in-state acceptances. That's tough cookies.
What MCAT would you need to squeak in with a 3.9 GPA?

3.9 cumulative and science? 496 with boxes checked off at new DO schools.
You may be the most annoying person on these forums. You are on like every forum giving your “so called expert” advice. Why don’t you stick to the pod forums or what is it this week dental or optometry?

DO is doable with a 3.0 and a 500
Pod is doable with a 2.8 and a 494