What factors will increase my chance of getting selected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RICEman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for a dental residency (endo or ortho) after dental school?

I was hoping that being a former enlisted guy would help (??)
Grades :Is it possible to finish dental school at the top (what percentile?) while in the HPSP?
Attend a top D-school?
Any tips?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt the school has anything to do with it. Probably class ranking will help. They'll definitely look at Board scores and the likes.

One of the biggest factors is how you've spent your military career. Ortho and endo are very competitive in the military as well as the civilian side. Those Colonels on the selection board will look to see what you've done. I was always told that doing your time "in the field" or "at sea" will certainly help you with everything on down the line. Promotion selection boards look at this for sure.

If I were on the board, I'd much rather send an officer to a competitive school that volunteered for Korea, spent 2-3 years in a field unit or was assigned to a carrier for a couple of years as opposed to one that "needed" to be put in a clinic at a post 30 miles from home so he/she wouldn't be too far from their mommy.

Just my opinion.....

JKM

I doubt the school has anything to do with it. Probably class ranking will help. They'll definitely look at Board scores and the likes.

One of the biggest factors is how you've spent your military career. Ortho and endo are very competitive in the military as well as the civilian side. Those Colonels on the selection board will look to see what you've done. I was always told that doing your time "in the field" or "at sea" will certainly help you with everything on down the line. Promotion selection boards look at this for sure.

If I were on the board, I'd much rather send an officer to a competitive school that volunteered for Korea, spent 2-3 years in a field unit or was assigned to a carrier for a couple of years as opposed to one that "needed" to be put in a clinic at a post 30 miles from home so he/she wouldn't be too far from their mommy.

Just my opinion.....

JKM

Thanks JKM...

My follow up question/s ....:
1. Are you saying that they will "count" my past enlisted deployment during OEF on an amphib ship (plus my neutral assignment in Japan for two years)

OR
2. That I need to volunteer for an operational tour first (to..any forward deployed unit..) after D-school?

Since dentists will be selecting you, I would bet they'll look at what you've done while you're a dentist. Any enlisted record will help, but I would bet that your officer career will count more.

Promotion boards (filled with medical and LINE officers) will probably weigh the enlisted record a little more heavily.

Just an opinion.....

I'd ask the O-6s when you get in what they would do.... they probably have a little more of their finger on the pulse on what's going on in the minds of other O-6s.

JKM