what else to do to match ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maniax

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 and have already completed my 2 week ortho rotation as part of the Surgery block where i recieved very high marks and an excellent evaluation from the staff. I am now working with this pediatric orthopedic surgeon on a research project, although the results of this study will not be available for possible 5 years from now. I don't have any other research to speak of. I have a 258 on Step 1. However, I'm from a state university, non-research top 50 med school. Most people would describe me as a regular, laid back guy. Ya know, love sports and mourn the awful performance of my college's football team over the last 4 years or so. I plan on doing 2 away rotations in ortho next year, most likely in regional programs that I would likely seriously consider rather than traveling across the country for my externships.
Any other suggestions for what could make me competitive for ortho? Could i be competitive to get interviews at top tier programs across the country both within my region and elsewhere?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In the grand scheme of matching into ortho:

3rd year grades >>>>>>> research/where you go to med school.

The most important thing you can do NOW is to work hard and excell during your third year rotations. Even OB and Peds count, so don't slack off here. Do this even if it is to the detriment of your ortho peds research.

From there, do well on your Sub-I's, and don't come off as a dick on your interviews.

Getting into top residencies depends also on your performance in med school to this point. So without that, it's hard to say if you have a shot.

You'll get a bunch of interviews, don't fret.