What else can I do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookiebuddy

Reaction score
This is going to be a longer story but I'll try to cut it short. In undergrad I developed a heart condition the second weekend after starting school and my cardiologist told me that I was either going to fight the virus that was attacking my heart or I was going to pass away. I lived my life to the fullest, my parents let me stay at college and just enjoy the time that I had left. I graduated with a horrible GPA 2.83, taking multiple classes more than once because I had to be above a certain GPA to graduate. I got a second opinion from another cardiologist and 5 months after graduation, they figured out what was wrong and I am completely back to normal after some medicine (a huge blessing). Now I'm stuck with a horrible GPA from undergrad but I went back to a masters and my masters GPA is a 3.5. I have worked in healthcare for 5 years now, so thousands of healthcare hours and different specialities too. The other problem is my MCAT which is low because I really didn't learn anything in undergrad because honestly I didn't care back then. My MCAT is a 490, I am currently studying for that but I have been constantly denied due to my undergraduate GPA and MCAT score. I know my MCAT score is low and that will be fixed but I am not sure what else I can do. I feel like every college that I have applied to has denied me so fast because they do a whole GPA look and my undergrad outweighs my Masters. Any suggestions on what I should do? I really want to be a physician and will put in the work to do it. I just need some advice...

Members don't see this ad.

The honest truth is that you need to correct both underlying problems, the MCAT and the undergrad GPA. Having many hours of experience in the healthcare field does nothing to show that you can handle the academic rigor of medical school, which is the concern that adcoms will have when they look at your application.

The masters is honestly irrelevant, as most med schools assume that masters programs have grade inflation, so what you need to do is re-enroll in undergrad upper division science courses and get a 3.7+ over the course of 30ish credit hours, or do an SMP if you can get into one with your GPA. You can also explore whether or not you can retroactively withdraw from your courses from when you were sick (not always possible, but worth at least asking). You also need to raise your MCAT by at least 15 and probably 20 points.

Do not apply again until you correct both problems..

• Love
Reactions: 1 users