What Does It Take to Specialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nostalgicfreedom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am currently a DS2 and I am interested in wanting to specialize (specifically in ortho). I have a couple questions that I hope could get answered:
1.) When specifically do we start applying to specialize?
2.)What is a considered a good GPA/class rank to specialize?
3.) Besides grades, what else should I do to specialize? I haven't been very involved in anything yet. I was about to do research and then the pandemic hit. I feel like the only thing I can do now is just volunteer as much as I can. I'm worried that I just won't have any significant thing to put in my application besides my gpa and class rank.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Every specialty will have very different answers. You should join your school’s Ortho club for a better idea of what’s expected.

1) The ADEA PASS application opens in May. Ortho usually will submit early in the Summer. So if you want to go straight into Ortho, you will submit your application in June of your third year going into fourth year.

2) It seems like Ortho cares more about class rank than any other specialty. You definitely want to be in top 10. GPA is meaningless.

3) For Ortho, you want a good GRE score, Ortho research, and letters of rec from orthodontists.

Reactions: 2 users
I think Ivy.ch covered everything really well above. The only things I would add are that the research doesn't necessarily need to be ortho specific, you should just have research experience in general. I'd suggest taking the GRE during the summer after your D2 year since there tends to be less overlap with other obligations (I took it between D3/D4 and it was a bit of a pain to balance with clinic, Part 2, and getting my application together).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Ivy.ch @FeralisExtremum What if you have a big class? im in the top 25 ranks of my 200+ person class but im not in the top 10 of the class.

How do programs compare being 5/60 vs 28/212? How do you then get compared to kids at UCONN and harvard who have no rank? Seems kind of unfair to me.

Reactions: 1 user
In terms of research experience, is it frowned upon if you only have "experience" with working on a project, or do they expect you to have them presented at a conference or even published?

@Ivy.ch @FeralisExtremum What if you have a big class? im in the top 25 ranks of my 200+ person class but im not in the top 10 of the class.

How do programs compare being 5/60 vs 28/212? How do you then get compared to kids at UCONN and harvard who have no rank? Seems kind of unfair to me.

Since class rank is one of the most important factors, I think an objectively high rank ends up being more valuable than a high percentage. In the example you gave, I would expect 5/60 to be viewed at more favorably than 28/212, as unfair as that may be in terms of the numbers.

There are some programs that don't look favorably on schools who don't rank, but from what I've seen with most programs students at UCONN/Harvard/etc. have no difficulty at all with getting interviews, and the name of the program definitely works in their favor.

In terms of research experience, is it frowned upon if you only have "experience" with working on a project, or do they expect you to have them presented at a conference or even published?

While having a publication helps, it certainly isn't necessary. If you have research experience that's what matters.

Blood sweat and tears

• Haha
Haha, tons of people put in the rigorous hard work and effort required but still don't get into their speciality of choice.:shrug:
You'll be good. Just start building your resume. High class rank, research experience, leadership, volunteering, and involvement in ortho clubs/shadowing/externships. A good personal statement and good LORs are also important. Get to know the Ortho chair at your school if possible.

Reactions: 1 users