Do i need to do research to specialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ian21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a D1 and am interested in specializing in the future. Specifically pediatrics or ortho but am open to others! I did research in undergrad and realized that I absolutely do not like research. I am currently debating if i should do research just to boost my CV and chances for residency or not. I am not sure how heavily research is weighed into the admissions process so I would love some guidance. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, I am a D1 and am interested in specializing in the future. Specifically pediatrics or ortho but am open to others! I did research in undergrad and realized that I absolutely do not like research. I am currently debating if i should do research just to boost my CV and chances for residency or not. I am not sure how heavily research is weighed into the admissions process so I would love some guidance. Thank you!
Generally speaking, ortho seems to expect significant research from their applicants. Peds really doesn’t, but you need to do something to show your interest and for your CV. So, if you don’t have research you better have something else.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
Like Big Hoss posted above. Most ortho residencies require the initiation and defense of a research thesis along with possible publication in order to graduate. My ortho class was 4 residents. One resident failed to acquire the necessary number of study participants and as a result .... he graduated 6 months later. He had to finish his thesis in order to graduate.

So yeah. Research is important for ortho.

Also. During DS undergrad ... I helped out the ortho residents and the ortho attendings with their research projects. I fully credit my involvement with the ortho grad dept as a big help in getting accepted to an ortho residency. LORs from the ortho attendings, program director.

Reactions: 1 users
Like Big Hoss posted above. Most ortho residencies require the initiation and defense of a research thesis along with possible publication in order to graduate. My ortho class was 4 residents. One resident failed to acquire the necessary number of study participants and as a result .... he graduated 6 months later. He had to finish his thesis in order to graduate.

So yeah. Research is important for ortho.

Also. During DS undergrad ... I helped out the ortho residents and the ortho attendings with their research projects. I fully credit my involvement with the ortho grad dept as a big help in getting accepted to an ortho residency. LORs from the ortho attendings, program director.
Agreed.

Research was my shoe in for residency as well

Reactions: 1 users