What do you think???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TWP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have come to a crossroads in the ole life and I need a little advice from those in the know. I am 23 and will be applying to medical school for the first time in May (in Texas) and I was hoping you could help me decide what might be better for me to do. I currently work as an orthopedic surgical sales rep for a big company and the money is good and could be GREAT, however, I really hate my job but love the OR and everything that has to do with medicine. I took a year off from school to make a little money, get over burn out from 4 years of non-stop school, ECs, research, fraternity, etc and now I feel really good about getting back into it. What I was wondering is I will have to move back to Tejas this summer in order to be a resident (job is out of state) and was curious what type of job would be most beneficial to me??? Have good grades, tons of ECs, good letters, weak on research, feel good about MCAT because I am pretty good at standardized tests and have been preparing for the past 2 months. Should I worry about getting a certain type of job or just do what I can and make sure I do well on MCAT and get all of my stuff in and in order? Thanks guys, sorry so long.

Members don't see this ad.

You should post a similar message in the Allo/Osteo forums if you haven't already to get more responses but it looks like you have pretty much what it will take to get in. I'd say if you're going to get a job first and foremost make sure it isn't too stressful so that you can focus completely on the exam. This is really the last hurdle for you based on your post.

The other things to focus on would be shadowing physicians in different disciplines (I know you're already used to the OR) and if you're really interested in ortho it would be a good idea to do a research project done now while you have some free time. Maybe get a research position somewhere if possible.

Other than that put everything into your MCAT prep and take it from there.

-J