DO-There are more DO orhto spots than most you think.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clc8503

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to this AOA link there are 30 AOA appoved orhtopedic surgery residency programs. Combined, these programs offer around 339 positions. I saw a few threads in this forum that said there were only about 50-60 positions for DOs. I do not think this is true. Look at this website and do the math and let me know if I am mistaken. I mean PCOM alone offers 21 positions by itself and it's only 1 of 30 AOA ortho programs.

Here's the link
http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/search/search_results.cfm?CFID=107549&CFTOKEN=19310875

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's 21 total positions and not 21 residents per class. Divide the 339 positions you stated by 4 classes per program(it looked like interns weren't counted in the total positions on the AOA website) and you have about 85 positions per year. If 5 classes actually are counted, then there are about 67 positions per year.

Mediculous said:
I think it's 21 total positions and not 21 residents per class. Divide the 339 positions you stated by 4 classes per program(it looked like interns weren't counted in the total positions on the AOA website) and you have about 85 positions per year. If 5 classes actually are counted, then there are about 67 positions per year.

The AOA does not offer an internship in orthopedics. Therefore, there can't be any interns included in the 21 positions PCOM has to offer. I believe you have to do an internship in general surgery or something along those lines. The following link will prove to you that the AOA does not offer an internship in ortho. I'm not saying you're wrong because I'm no expert. However, I do not understand what the FOUR CLASSES you were referring to would consist of (all you mentioned was interns and there are no AOA internships for ortho. There are only residency positions). Look on on this link and tell me if you can find an AOA ORTHO INTERNSHIP. Someone else has told me that this information checks out, but you could have cought something that the OP (and me) have missed. Please let me know the flaws in these numbers more clearly.

http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/search/search.cfm

Members don't see this ad :)
LSU-Tech said:
The AOA does not offer an internship in orthopedics. Therefore, there can't be any interns included in the 21 positions PCOM has to offer. I believe you have to do an internship in general surgery or something along those lines. The following link will prove to you that the AOA does not offer an internship in ortho. I'm not saying you're wrong because I'm no expert. However, I do not understand what the FOUR CLASSES you were referring to would consist of (all you mentioned was interns and there are no AOA internships for ortho. There are only residency positions). Look on on this link and tell me if you can find an AOA ORTHO INTERNSHIP. Someone else has told me that this information checks out, but you could have cought something that the OP (and me) have missed. Please let me know the flaws in these numbers more clearly.

http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/search/search.cfm

I think he is saying that there are 21 positions for all the residents stretched out over a 4 year period. But, I don't think that's accurate. Why would the AOA posts how many residents they can hold over a four year period instead of posting how many they can take in one single year. It's just not logical for them to posts how many they take over a period of four years instaed of how many the are taking at the present moment.

Logic should tell you there are not 339 AOA ortho positions/year. Do you really think that more than 10% of all DOs graduating each year do AOA ortho residencies? Use some common sense.

clc8503 said:
I think he is saying that there are 21 positions for all the residents stretched out over a 4 year period. But, I don't think that's accurate. Why would the AOA posts how many residents they can hold over a four year period instead of posting how many they can take in one single year. It's just not logical for them to posts how many they take over a period of four years instaed of how many the are taking at the present moment.

It's 21 total positions at PCOM. The reason they (AOA) report it that way is because of funding each year. Each year they can provide salary for that number of residents. Some classes are larger and some of course smaller. Some programs have tracked positions where you come in as an intern knowing you'll be an ortho resident, others you have to apply and possibly do internship and hope they get one of the coveted spots.

It's still really competitive.

Here's a list of all the programs: http://www.aoao.org/aoao/residency_programs_05.pdf

-J

The classes I was referring to were Post Graduate Year 1, 2, 3, etc. and I guess osteopaths refer to them as Osteopathic Graduate Medical Education 1, 2, 3, etc. The number of OGME 1 positions seems to always be zero per the link, so assuming a 5 year total residency(internship +4 years ortho), there are 4 resident classes at any particular program and so the total positions funding is provided for is 4 times (give or take a resident, probably) each class size. It looked there was some variability in class size---about 1 resident.