What do you think of nursing students complaining that nursing is the hardest degree to go obtain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

niwas41

Reaction score
I have heard this too many damn times from nursing students. Just wanted to see what y'all think about this. And no i'm not trolling anyone.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't matter. Doesn't impact you. Ignore it, it's not a competition.

Reactions: 32 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I recognize it is probably difficult for them, then go on with the rest of the day without trying to convince other people that my life sucks

Reactions: 10 users
disagree because I opened my friends differential equations and thermodynamics text books once.....but it doesn't matter enough to argue with people who don't know me well in real life

Reactions: 6 users
Everything is hard.

Reactions: 4 users
Tell them to major in something math heavy and then get back to talk. They want to feel special.

Hard is relative. Difficult for me isn't difficult for someone else and vice versa. If someone thinks their major/degree is hard then sure thing. I bet it is for them.

Reactions: 7 users
I have heard this too many damn times from nursing students. Just wanted to see what y'all think about this. And no i'm not trolling anyone.
Thanks

If a nursing student says that to you, just acknowledge that it is difficult and move on. They're obviously looking for validation and anyone in an MD program already knows that it's obviously harder to get into the MD program... so just give them the validation that they are seeking and say okay, let them feel validated. doesn't affect you, just makes them feel good.

Reactions: 10 users
Pee on them to show dominance

"and no I'm not trolling anyone" - Every single Troll

Reactions: 14 users
I think they look less dumb than the people who care about them thinking that, but hey maybe that’s just me :whistle:

Thanks
My Preschoolers whine that learning to write their name is too hard. Different things are hard for different people.:shrug:

Thanks
I don't know. I think it's more important to ask what do you think about med students who complain about nursing students complaining?

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of nursing students are hot...

So, I just nod and agree

Reactions: 15 users
Nursing school is difficult in different ways than people imagine. It was more of a time management thing for me.

That said, I got a 4.0 in nursing and some B’s in premed. I think Ochem and Physics are harder than nursing courses, but premeds aren’t typically doing so many hours of clinicals that you only have nights to study.

At the end of the day, have respect for everyone around you, and acknowledge that everyone faces their own challenges.

I can easily say that working in a high-stress environment WHILE doing all of the premed stuff that I’ve done has likely been easier than nursing school as a single mom.

Hands down.

Reactions: 4 users
If we're comparing strictly undergrad degrees, they might have at least a decent argument. Nursing students have a lot of hours to get through in their clinical years, and their rotations move fast. I wouldn't argue that their courses are harder than the engineering students', of course, but they're constantly on the move. Time management is a huge issue. If hardest = most required hours, they could definitely win this prize.

Obviously I'm not saying "omg nursing school is harder than medical school" and I would disagree strongly with that statement, but my nursing school friends in undergrad were definitely busier than my pre-med friends. n=1. I'm not internet fighting anybody on this one. Don't bother quoting me.

Reactions: 1 users
If we're comparing strictly undergrad degrees, they might have at least a decent argument. Nursing students have a lot of hours to get through in their clinical years, and their rotations move fast. I wouldn't argue that their courses are harder than the engineering students', of course, but they're constantly on the move. Time management is a huge issue. If hardest = most required hours, they could definitely win this prize.

Obviously I'm not saying "omg nursing school is harder than medical school" and I would disagree strongly with that statement, but my nursing school friends in undergrad were definitely busier than my pre-med friends. n=1. I'm not internet fighting anybody on this one. Don't bother quoting me.
That's because after they get their nursing degree, they'll actually be out in the real world and working. So if they're getting all their experience needed to function as an actual nurse during the attainment of the degree, then it makes sense that they're working hard.

Being "pre-med" was a joke lol. I miss college.

As a nursing student, i spent a ton more time working through that than when i did when i changed my major to bio.

Now med school? Hahah no.

Oh my God, this forum better not turn into the insecure brats that frequent r/medicalschool. No one cares.

If a nursing student says that to you, just acknowledge that it is difficult and move on. They're obviously looking for validation and anyone in an MD program already knows that it's obviously harder to get into the MD program... so just give them the validation that they are seeking and say okay, let them feel validated. doesn't affect you, just makes them feel good.
This is not good advice and is one, of quite a few, reasons why society is going downhill. People (especially young people, millennials) need to realize that not everyone is special or of high intelligence. I have known some fairly intelligent nurses and the consensus among them seems to be that nursing school is not particularly rigorous or challenging. I do not think giving the students in question fake validation is a good idea because then they might not ever realize the truth.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks

How did you manage to make ridiculously insightful post while simultaneously riding on such a high horse?

That must be difficult.

To a capterpie, becoming a metapod is the hardest thing. To metapod becoming butterfree is the hardest thing. it's all subjective and relative.

I have a facebook friend who described her journey through dental hygeine school by starting off with "after all the blood, sweat, and literal tears i have made it... yada yada i couldnt have done it without xyz".
The sad thing is imo that the personality of doctors is that no accomplishment is worth celebration bc theres always more ahead and were rarely satisfied with what weve achieved.

I would ask them why they didn't do biomedical engineering and get a job at a company like GE earning 95k a year researching breakthroughs in medical technology. Then I would tell them that I thought calculus was super hard.

This is not good advice and is one, of quite a few, reasons why society is going downhill. People (especially young people, millennials) need to realize that not everyone is special or of high intelligence. I have known some fairly intelligent nurses and the consensus among them seems to be that nursing school is not particularly rigorous or challenging. I do not think giving the students in question fake validation is a good idea because then they might not ever realize the truth.

This isn’t even worth arguing about... this is why people continue to think that medicine is paternalistic and why a lot of people hate going to see doctors... you have to realize that we work on a healthcare team and when you validate the nurses and other staff and make them feel good, it’s good for both the team and the patient. It’s not fake validation, getting into nursing school is an accomplishment and they’re a valuable and contributing member of society, there’s no reason to flex on them because our education is higher.

Reactions: 3 users
This isn’t even worth arguing about... this is why people continue to think that medicine is paternalistic and why a lot of people hate going to see doctors... you have to realize that we work on a healthcare team and when you validate the nurses and other staff and make them feel good, it’s good for both the team and the patient. It’s not fake validation, getting into nursing school is an accomplishment and they’re a valuable and contributing member of society, there’s no reason to flex on them because our education is higher.

Anyone with a pulse can get into any kind of nursing program.

The concept of a team does not imply equivalence. Doctors are the most important person in the healthcare setting. There is a lot of nonsense going around to try to make out that other degree paths are equivalent or the work is the same so the pay should be the same. Educational opportunities are slowly being stolen from our trainees in the name of the healthcare team while other people attempt to erode our authority and dictate our practice. Playing nice in the sandbox is prudent but the most important goal is to take good care of your patient. I don't care if the nurse or anyone else feels validated. What I care about is that my patients do well.

Most nurses I am friends with will have 2 kids, a pretty nice home nearly paid off, and a bunch of fun memories from the past 15 years by the time they are 35. They are looking for a completely different life. I would definitely say that out of the 4 year degrees that women are the most likely to go into it is definitely one of the hardest and definitely contributes to society than a lot of the other fields. Wait until these more intelligent and driven women actually start picking fields like biomedical engineering or econ and there actually is a shortage of nurses.

The concept of a team does not imply equivalence. Doctors are the most important person in the healthcare setting. There is a lot of nonsense going around to try to make out that other degree paths are equivalent or the work is the same so the pay should be the same. Educational opportunities are slowly being stolen from our trainees in the name of the healthcare team while other people attempt to erode our authority and dictate our practice. Playing nice in the sandbox is prudent but the most important goal is to take good care of your patient. I don't care if the nurse or anyone else feels validated. What I care about is that my patients do well.
Anyone that says that a lot of other degrees should earn more do not understand simple financial principles. They have no idea how large of an advantage they have being nearly debt free at 22 and working a job good enough to start building net worth. The only way to make it remotely fair is to pay absurd amounts. If a nurse lived off of a medical student budget and saved the rest for 4 years and then lived off of a resident budget for 9 years while continuing to save they would never complain about how much a doctor is making. Most would rather start a family at 24 so you can throw that idea out the window. It is all about opportunity cost.

Last edited:

Okay .... Doctors being the most "important" person in the healthcare system , has nothing to due with the hardships nursing students go through, so your statement is really not relevant.

Anyways, what someone claims as difficult is all relative. Nursing school is hard. During my undergrad I watched my friends struggle while I was pretty much cruising through my premed classes. Any major can be hard for someone. Just because someone is complaining how difficult nursing school is does not mean they are automatically thinking its harder than medical school.

definitely didn't imply that they are equal... everyone knows they're not. I've had several cases where nurses realized something was wrong or an attending put in a wrong order, but they were too afraid to speak up because of their previous experiences with paternalistic attendings. I definitely agree with you that our authority is slowly being eroded and that the white coat no longer holds the power/authority that it did 20 years ago... also agree that the paramount priority is to take good care of the patient and that you shouldn't go out of your way to validate the nurse. That being said, you shouldn't go out of your way to put them down or piss on their parade. They went to nursing school and they're proud of their accomplishment, and to them, it is a big deal. I think as a modern day physician in this day and age, we have to walk the fine line between maintaining our autonomy and authority and not allowing others to infringe on our authority, while also maintaining respect for other members of the healthcare team and trying to make sure our non-physician colleagues feel valuable... at least passively (through not putting them down) if not actively.

Look, I've taken nursing classes as well as doctor classes and I'm very familiar with nursing school and those who go into it. It's not actually that hard. My school had a well regarded nursing school attached to it and their classes were easier than the intro bio classes. Nurses work hard and they are valuable. I work with a lot of fantastic nurses. Doesn't make their schooling any more difficult than it actually was.

Nursing students going through hardship LOL. What hardship? Writing a two page paper on jean watson's theories of nursing? Give me a break. It's not actually a contest but there sure are a lot of people trying to compare themselves to medical students, even to the point that they're trying to pretend that they are also "medical" students.

I'd agree with much of this sentiment except for the part where docs are the "most important person". That is a bit difficult to quantify or back up, and probably extraneous. Are the docs the leaders and in charge? Absolutely yes.

I'd agree with much of this sentiment except for the part where docs are the "most important person". That is a bit difficult to quantify or back up, and probably extraneous. Are the docs the leaders and in charge? Absolutely yes.

Actually your post is completely wrong and it's the opposite.

Look, I've taken nursing classes as well as doctor classes and I'm very familiar with nursing school and those who go into it. It's not actually that hard. My school had a well regarded nursing school attached to it and their classes were easier than the intro bio classes. Nurses work hard and they are valuable. I work with a lot of fantastic nurses. Doesn't make their schooling any more difficult than it actually was.

Nursing students going through hardship LOL. What hardship? Writing a two page paper on jean watson's theories of nursing? Give me a break. It's not actually a contest but there sure are a lot of people trying to compare themselves to medical students, even to the point that they're trying to pretend that they are also "medical" students.

You took nursing classes?

Did you not become a nurse?

Any of these nurses ever take Physical Chemistry or Quantum Physics?

The biggest difference between a field requiring a calculus sequence and beyond and medicine or any other professional degree is that you can literally start in algebra your freshman year at a quality state school, take 9 hours a semester, intern a couple semesters, and graduate in like 6-7 years. As long as you have like a 3.2 you can still land the prestigious jobs at companies like Texaco or Boeing. Math just slowly builds on itself and you can't really skip any of it. You have to put in a lot of practice every semester until you have mastered solving a certain type of problem. Nursing involves a lot more memorization than about half of the engineering fields. There are definitely some engineers that were able to get through the math that would struggle to handle a full load of nursing courses. I would say the people who are able to get through a field that requires the math and memorization such as chem e bio e or software e in four years with a high gpa are at the top of the 4 year degrees. However, the market is still going to be saturated with those guys that needed 5.5 years so it doesn't get the prestige.

The biggest difference between a field requiring a calculus sequence and beyond and medicine or any other professional degree is that you can literally start in algebra your freshman year at a quality state school, take 9 hours a semester, intern a couple semesters, and graduate in like 6-7 years. As long as you have like a 3.2 you can still land the prestigious jobs at companies like Texaco or Boeing. Math just slowly builds on itself and you can't really skip any of it. You have to put in a lot of practice every semester until you have mastered solving a certain type of problem. Nursing involves a lot more memorization than about half of the engineering fields. There are definitely some engineers that were able to get through the math that would struggle to handle a full load of nursing courses. I would say the people who are able to get through a field that requires the math and memorization such as chem e bio e or software e in four years with a high gpa are at the top of the 4 year degrees. However, the market is still going to be saturated with those guys that needed 5.5 years so it doesn't get the prestige.

Lol wut? Where did you major in math?

Lots of engineering programs in the top 100 or so are this way. They tend to hold the engineers to a very high standard no matter how easy it is to get into the school. Pretty much any school that is easy to get into and has lots of engineers will be like this. In engineering it's a lot more marketable to do good work than fast work. Enrollment Management - Graduation/Retention Rates. Retention and Graduation Rates | Institutional Research and Planning . Colorado School of Mines Graduation Rate & Retention Rate

There is no appreciable amount of bachelors chemical engineers/actuaries/physics graduates walking around who are intellectually unable to get a bsn....nope

Maybe not willing to put up or handle the social requirements? Sure

There is no appreciable amount of bachelors chemical engineers/actuaries/physics graduates walking around who are intellectually unable to get a bsn....nope

Maybe not willing to put up or handle the social requirements? Sure
It's still a big accomplishment and even for a high achiever that went to a science and math grade school represents about 13 years of practicing math problems. I think it would be interesting to see the results if the Caribbean schools went to a 6 year program instead of a 4 year program. If there is ever a shortage of doctors would you rather have 4 year schools become more lenient or 6 year schools open up? Engineers are pretty much the #1 reason the U.S. is miles ahead of any other country out there. They pay them well, they educate them well, they hold them to a high standard in school, and they have a lot more of them than any other country. Guys are a minority in nursing so they often times have doors opened to them that wouldn't be opened for women. I have multiple guy friends who were average nurse students that got into nurse anesthetist programs. 70k a year with great job security and a pretty good quality of life is still a really good career. The biggest difference between engineering and nursing is that it took like 13 years of compounding math to get there. Where as nurses are basically trained from scratch in two years.

Last edited:
It's still a big accomplishment and even for a high achiever that went to a science and math grade school represents about 13 years of practicing math problems. I think it would be interesting to see the results if the Caribbean schools went to a 6 year program instead of a 4 year program. If there is ever a shortage of doctors would you rather have 4 year schools become more lenient or 6 year schools open up? Engineers are pretty much the #1 reason the U.S. is miles ahead of any other country out there. They pay them well, they educate them well, they hold them to a high standard in school, and they have a lot more of them than any other country. Guys are a minority in nursing so they often times have doors opened to them that wouldn't be opened for women. I have multiple guy friends who were average nurse students that got into nurse anesthetist programs. 70k a year with great job security and a pretty good quality of life is still a really good career. The biggest difference between engineering and nursing is that it took like 13 years of compounding math to get there. Where as nurses are basically trained from scratch in two years.

What are you smoking? Learning how to add and do basic algebra in high school and earlier prepares you for a math degree the way eighth grade science prepares you for a biology degree. Have you ever taken an advanced math course? I’m not a fan of all this dick measuring, but there is not a single one of my upper division math courses that was easier than any nursing course.

What are you smoking? Learning how to add and do basic algebra in high school and earlier prepares you for a math degree the way eighth grade science prepares you for a biology degree. Have you ever taken an advanced math course? I’m not a fan of all this dick measuring, but there is not a single one of my upper division math courses that was easier than any nursing course.
I have a BSME and math minor from a very good school and currently work as an engineer at a fortune 500 company. I am the direct descendant of two doctors, I had hobies that lined up with engineering but haven't really found work that lined up with the hobbies, and am now creeping around with the thought of medicine. I always had more trouble in my classes that involved more memorization so I'm somewhat doubting my ability. I found fluids II and thermo II much easier than machine design which involved learning a ton of big easy to work equations every week. I did AP calculus in highschool. I have friends from school who grew up in a small town and literally started in college Algebra. The rigors of even college Algebra was way above what I was held to in high school. If you started at Algebra it would definitely build you up to where you can become an engineer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.