What do you receive today? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grettlin2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Could you guys post what do you receive from any dental school today? So, we can know the progress of each school and most importantly, we will know if anything goes worng.

So far, I receive the notices from Howard, Tufts, Case Western, Creighton, Nova, Indiana U, and Columbia. Creighton and Nova also send me the secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are appyling to TEXAS schools under TMDSA then they have already sent out online applications to school if you finished.

Baylor and UT houston, have started the processing of applications and review for letters of interview starting Monday of this week June 7th, 2003.

They will be sending out letters of Interviews starting at the end of july early august.

Secondaries are concerned Baylor is the only one and that requires a secondary application. Its only a page and it is found on their website. print it out and send it in. There are no fees involved for the secondary for Baylor.

I've gotten notices from:

Maryland
Columbia
Tufts
Penn - requested secondary

For the Texas schools they both requested secondaries... Is it different for out of state applicants? I know i probably won't get in, but it's worth a shot.. :)

Baylor
UT San Ant.

Members don't see this ad :)
supps from Nova, Creighton, UPenn, receipts from Uop, USC.

endposse,

Have you already sent out your DAT scores?
I have yet to hear from Maryland

Hi savvysearch, do you receive the mail from USC? Or you just call them? I emailed Eva to check my status, but she told me they won't process 2004 applications until end of July or early August???

They just sent me a receipt telling me that the admission fee was paid. I didnt get anything other than that.

jaap,

yes i sent in my scores already, the one thing i haven't sent in is my application fees, as well as my recs. my school seems to prefer to send them directly to the schools that i'm applying to rather than aadsas.

Hii..

Can someone fill me in to what "secondaries" are ?? :confused:

Secondary applications that schools send out to applicants, after they receive your primary AADSAS application.

Years ago, when AADSAS didn't exist, schools would send out the applications to candidates, and also request a small fee to pay for the time it takes to review the application, etc.

Now that AADSAS is around, schools still need to pay for their admissions staff and so secondaries are sent out, along with a fee request (usually $20-80).

The secondaries typically contain no questions that are distinct from the AADSAS application. That is, adcoms can get the same information by reading your AADSAS application. Often secondaries are brief (1-2 pages) and require you to enter personal information, along with a small statement about why you want to attend the school.

Not so often the secondary requires you to write large essays, or multiple essays, which once again, don't really tell the adcom a whole lot about you.

Hope this helped somewhat!

Moral of the story: after schools receive your AADSAS application, you'll receive secondaries which must be returned, along with the fees, BEFORE schools will give you an interview.

Man.. I'm so nervous. I just fed ex'ed my supporting documents to both TMDSAS and AADDAS yesterday. I hope they don't take long to process my application. Also, I hope they don't reject my recommendation letters. All my professors asked me to send them in in one package along with the transcripts and fee.

Today I received a request for an interview from Case Western. Is it normal to receive a request so early? Has anyone else received one? Do they interview a lot of applicants? Any info would be appreciated.

hey dr_benj,
wow...you got an interview already, I think it is early. What is your GPA, DAT? I was requested for the secondary from UPENN yesterday....My AADSAS is 680 level.

Good luck...
pddt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi dr_benj, do you send your DAT score to case western already? I really want to go to case (one of my desires), but I don't have DAT score now.....have to wait one more month. Good to hear that!

Yeah, I sent my DAT scores in the middle of May and I am in the middle 400's for my AADSAS number.

man... Case interviews this early ? what is your GPA and DAT ? just curious ! how do you know your AADASS number ? I really want to go Case also, if texas schools all reject me.

Benj,

Last year I interviewed at Case on the first possible day, which was something like 7/26, I believe.

Numerically they are a difficult school to get into, with only 4% of the applicants gaining admission, but closer to 40% of interviewees gaining admission.

I had a really great time there, but I don't think my experience was normal, so don't base all of your judgements off my experience alone. I say that because I knew from the get-go that I would be accepted.

My interviewer placed me in the clinic after the interview day was finished (around noon), and I worked alongside D3 and D4 students for 4-5 hours. The interviewer even let me wear his white coat in the clinic!

After that, he drove around town for a tour, stopped and bought us chinese food, and then dropped me off at the airport so I wouldn't have to take the shuttle.

From all of this, I sensed I was in. Now, having said that, all the students who I worked with in the clinic said that anybody who interviews in the first 2 weeks of possible dates at Case usually gets in.

Based on this, I'd say your chances are very good.

Enjoy yourself, and congrats!

I loved Case Western. Go to your interview as soon as possible. They fill up fast. The AADSAS some how messed up sending my packet to Case and they didnt complete my file until August. Well, once it was complete I called to set up an interview and they were booked until Dec. 2!!!

Thanks for the heads up everyone. I scheduled my interview for the first possible day. Can't wait! I really want to go to Case.

after all the whopla

did you get into CASE?

hockey dentist

Congraduations to dr_benj for the interview invite!
For those who are still preparing for DAT, like me, I would say keep going and we will hear the interview invites in the very near future! Good job, benj!

Got another interview invite, this time from Indiana University School of Dentistry.

Anybody know anything about the school and their PBL curriculum? Aphistis, I know you just started there, are you happy with the school so far? Any suggestions from anyone would be helpful especially regarding the interview.

By the way, did anyone recieve a few interviews last year and not get accepted to any schools. Just wondering what my chances are. Thanks again.

Aha! I knew we had a thread like this somewhere.

Cogratulations, dr_benj - you're kicking butt. Looks like it pays off to take the DAT early.

...if only I had gotten a 28 for my academic average. ;) Nice work jaap, I'm sure your interview invites will be in the mail shortly. Good luck to you!

i was invited to interview at maryland today!

Hi all,

I just got an interview invite to Temple. It came in a big envelope. I'm pretty excited. Anyone else get an interview from temple yet cause it seems pretty early for them to be already handing out interviews. Also does anyone have any advice for the interview at temple?

THANKS

Hi All,

Are there any of you here who got an interview invite without the DAT scores? If yes, which school?

Thanks

Hi serina, as I keep reading the forum, the answer is almost no, except DesiDent got an interview from U Penn without DAT last year. For this year, some schools I contacted with told me that they won't even start opening the file which is not completed, not to mention calling for the interview. I think what we can do is taking the DAT and do it well!

Grettlin, good to know that. Thanks!
Yea, we should take the DAT ASAP and do well on it. :)

Hi, I have a question about interview at Temple. Will they send you a letter which specifically indicates a interview date or they want you to call back to schedule a interview date? I received a strange letter from them and it said "Please send your offical, updated transcripts to us if you have not done so through AADSAS....". I haven't taken DAT and the letter looks like a general letter. Does anyone know that?

I don't know how they interview, but it sounds as though they haven't completed your file because they don't have your transcripts yet.

Either a) send them your transcripts directly or b) call AADSAS and find out why your transcripts haven't been sent.

I'm not sure what the deal is with temple cause I know i have not turned in my LOR's to them yet. Therefore my app is def not complete, yet they sent me an interview today.

Don't know what is their criteria for granting interviews.... Maybe they give "LOTS OF" interviews but only few of these would be accepted. ha..ha..

Fred,

I just got the same letter from Temple (my first invite!) but I am pretty sure they do not have my DAT scores yet. However, I believe the rest of my application is complete.

I know Temple does grant lots of interviews relative to most schools.

jaap,

I saw that you took your DAT on 8/4. If this is the case, then I am almost 100% sure that they DO have your DAT scores. DAT scores only take 5-10 days to get to the schools. Schools had my scores 4 days after taking the exam.

Hey Gavin,

Thanks. I figured it would take a few weeks to get to the schools. That's great news!

Yeah!! My 50th post.
I am wondering if a school gets your score, will they send out general information to you? like the SAT, where schools from nowhere will start emailing you about their program.

Hey jaap,

Awesome news, congrats to you. So when do you plan on giogn in for the interview? Maybe we can go on the same date and I'll see ya there!

FRED

HELLO EVERYONE,

I AM TOTALLY NEW TO THIS SITE AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET TO TALK TO YOU GUYS FOR DAYS BUT ACTIVATING MY MEMBERSHIP TOOK TOO LONG.

I SUBMITTED MY AADSAS THE 1ST DAY OF JUNE AND SO MY AADSAS # IS IN THE 100-150 RANGE. I TOOK MY DAT EARLY AUG AND DID WELL EXCEPT FOR THE READING COMP (OUCH 15). AA 19, PAT 18, QR 17, BIO 21, GCH 19, OCH 25, TOT SCI 21. DO YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT TAKING THE DAT AGAIN SINCE MY GPA AND RQ IS LOW? (MY GPA IS 3.00)

I HAVE SUBMITTED ABOUT 10 SECONDARIES AND HAVE GOTTEN AN INTERVIEW AT INDIANA NEXT MONTH.

I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHEN DR. BENJ IS SCHEDULED FOR AN INTERVIEW AT INDIANA.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I would take it again. Your science scores were strong, which is the hardest part, so with not too much effort and a little strategy you should be able to pull up the other sections and get you AA up in the low 20s.

Boy--that's a toughy. Every score but reading is pretty strong, which is why I would recommend not taking it again. You are pretty much in the top percentiles in every section, which suggests that you definately know your sh%t. I think that one low score shows that you are a human being and that you make mistakes---as everyone does. Jaap clearly is a machine destined to take over the planet one day. Only machines can achieve scores as high as his. Don't let him fool you by telling you he is a normal human and not a robot---> ;-) I don't think it is worth taking it again at this point in the game, because of just one mistake. I would be proud of my scores if I were you, but if you want to chance it and hope you get those same scores while increasing reading, then go for it. My point is that going down will look very bad on your behalf, and with scores like yours it will be hard (for the normal human) to really go any higher, if not stay the same---except for maybe QR, but I feel that is the least important section. Good luck to you!

Some schools may only look at the tot-sci, PAT, and AA.

19AA, 18PAT, 21SCI t'aint bad at all:cool:

I would agree with Richard if your GPA was 3.3-3.5, but in my opinion you would have a better shot with a higher DAT considering your GPA is definitely on the low side.

Taking the DAT again is a complete waste of time. You might do worse than your initial round, which would be horrible.

Your DAT scores aren't too bad, although your GPA is on the low end.

Perhaps a better option would be applying to some additional schools.

I REALLY THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT. I GUESS I AM GONNA WAIT FOR THE NEXT 3 WEEKS TO SEE IF I GET ANY MORE INTERVIEWS. IF I DO, THEN I PROBABLY WON'T TAKE THE DAT AGAIN. IF I DON'T, THEN I PROBABLY WILL HAVE TO TAKE IT AGAIN AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.

I REALY APPRECIATE ALL YOU GUYS AND I WISH WE COULD ALL BE IN DENTAL SCHOOLS ONE DAY.

i am sorry about theyelling. totally weren't paying attention.

anyways, thanks for your help gavin. i see that you are from arizona. i just submitted my secondaries to arizona and hopefully i hear something from them soon.

dr_benj,
when are you going for your indiana interview?
i scheduled mine on the 25th and 26th of sept. i am gonna be in their pbl session and i was told that they will interview me during that time so that i don't have to be there an extra day.

Status
Not open for further replies.