What do they look for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrownSound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. First year student here wondering what residency programs look for (what kind of marks, experiences, references)?

2. Can somebody take me through a typical application process for resicencies and how competitive it is?

3. What gave you the edge over other applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

1. First year student here wondering what residency programs look for (what kind of marks, experiences, references)?

2. Can somebody take me through a typical application process for resicencies and how competitive it is?

3. What gave you the edge over other applicants?

1) First off, even though a lot of schools and residencies say grades do not matter, they do :-D. Try to be at least in the top 50% of your class and have a pharmacy gpa of > 3.2 of course the higher the better. They like hospital experience, if you want to do a hospital residency, then work in a hospital rather than CVS. References you do not have to worry about until later. My references came from preceptors during clinical rotations and my pharmacy manager, which is where work experience comes in. I guess you could have a great relationship with one of your professors, but many students don't really talk to professors that much, you have much more interactions with preceptors.

2) Bigger hospitals (large university teaching hospital) tend to get more applications. The application process: Work on your resume throughout, however work on them in the summer/fall of your 4th year and before your job fair (4th year). Apply for the match... actually this website explains the match better and timeline... read last page... start emailing residency you might potentally want to go to to build rapport
http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/applagmt.pdf
The go to midyear, or don't go, whatever you want based on your financial situation. (early december)
Apply to the residencies, deadllines range from jan 1. - feb 1.

Hear from residencies for interviews usually mid late jan.
Interview
Match
Voila.

3) HOspital experience, EC, Grades, Communication, Motivation... I personally think most applicants are the same and communication and able to talk to ppl without saying um and being all nervous is the key. Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) First off, even though a lot of schools and residencies say grades do not matter, they do :-D. Try to be at least in the top 50% of your class and have a pharmacy gpa of > 3.2 of course the higher the better.

What do you think about P/NP grading systems? There wouldn't be numeric values to look at...

Sorry SpaceCowGirl. I know what you are saying, I have already looked into those threads long ago. I guess I should have made myself clear and said that I am looking for responses from people who already went through the process and can provide a more personal description of the process. Thank you for compiling those links though, it is a good summary for everyone else as well.

Sorry SpaceCowGirl. I know what you are saying, I have already looked into those threads long ago. I guess I should have made myself clear and said that I am looking for responses from people who already went through the process and can provide a more personal description of the process. Thank you for compiling those links though, it is a good summary for everyone else as well.

P/NP, I know a lot of med schools do not have grades and go by H/P/NP. What they do is they have a deans letter that talks about how you've been doing and ranking in the class, etc. So that sorta solves the grade issue, but then school prestige could come in.

P/NP, I know a lot of med schools do not have grades and go by H/P/NP. What they do is they have a deans letter that talks about how you've been doing and ranking in the class, etc. So that sorta solves the grade issue, but then school prestige could come in.

Med schools also have the USMLE, I've got a friend starting a medical residency and that plays a huge role in getting the residency you want. I

've not come across anyone w/ P/NP grading but I'd venture to say they would look at your letters of recommendation and extracurricular activities and weigh those more. There are also some programs that don't require transcripts. My best advice would be to get involved in many leadership and extracurricular activities. Also, I would contact programs even as early as now and ask how they deal with P/NP grades. I personally asked every pharmacist that came and taught our classes the best ways to improve my chances of getting a residency. I don't think it's ever too early to start thinking about it. There were a few people in my class who didn't match and I think it had a lot to do with being poorly prepared and not thinking about how they can make themselves a better candidate. Good luck!