What do I need to do to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I will be applying to DO schools for the 2013 application cycle and wanted to know what I could do more to strengthen my application.

I applied to all MD last year, but I only got one interview and got rejected to all of them.

My stats are

GPA 3.7
GPA Science 4.0
MCAT 30
Clinical Volunteer 100
Community Service 1 year
Research 1 year and will be two years by the time I matriculate.

I was going to apply last year, but got lazy and didn't want to fill out the separate DO school application.

Any help will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I will be applying to DO schools for the 2013 application cycle and wanted to know what I could do more to strengthen my application.

I applied to all MD last year, but I only got one interview and got rejected to all of them.

My stats are

GPA 3.7
GPA Science 4.0
MCAT 30
Clinical Volunteer 100
Community Service 1 year

I was going to apply last year, but got lazy and didn't want to fill out the separate DO school application.

your stats are above average for DO schools. your ECs are ok, they could be better although there isn't much you can do about that at this point. find a DO to shadow and it will be icing on the cake

You can probably get into MD if you apply early enough. Probably should try shadowing too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already applied to all the med shcool i wanted to get into last year, but didn't get in anywhere and I haven't done anything significantly more in order to be more competitive this year than I was last year. Although I didn't apply in August last year, but still, I heard that you were to have had significantly more valuable experience if you want to reapply again.

What do you exactly do while shadowing a DO, follow him or her around wherever they go?

I already applied to all the med shcool i wanted to get into last year, but didn't get in anywhere and I haven't done anything significantly more in order to be more competitive this year than I was last year. Although I didn't apply in August last year, but still, I heard that you were to have had significantly more valuable experience if you want to reapply again.

What do you exactly do while shadowing a DO, follow him or her around wherever they go?

It's like shadowing any doctor, google DO's in your area, find a specialty you are interested in seeing, email the Dr, or call, and tell them you're a pre-med student looking to shadow. Some will say they don't let students shadow, while others won't mind a bit. It's actually fun, you see what their job entails, they tell you what they are doing, and why. You see them with patients etc. How else would you know if medicine was right for you if you never shadowed? lol

I think you need to get more experience in the clinical sense since you don't know what shadowing is. Everyone I know personally that got accepted did some shadowing. And yes, I agree with the poster above that says you have a good shot at MD schools too. Why dont you follow up with your in state MD schools and let them review your application and give you advice as to why you didn't get in. Even if you don't follow it you get your name out there and it shows your seriousness and interest in the school.

So let me get this straight: you got one MD interview last year, led to a rejection, have never shadowed a doctor, and did not do a single thing to bolster your application for this year? And you're too lazy to apply to MD again?

You'll definitely get interviews with those stats, but god forbid the admission committees asks you about any of this.

Only one interview? all rejections? where did you apply? just wondering because with those stats I'm wondering if theres a red flag or something...

I applied to California schools. My shadowing experience comes from working with my brother and "hanging" out with him ( he is a doc). So it is different than asking a total stranger if I can just follow them around for a day which I am assuming will be awkward.

Since I applied last year in August, I have just been continuing to do the same work and volunteer. So just continuation and not an improvement. I live in Cali, so state school advantage is out for me.

I applied to California schools. My shadowing experience comes from working with my brother and "hanging" out with him ( he is a doc). So it is different than asking a total stranger if I can just follow them around for a day which I am assuming will be awkward.

Since I applied last year in August, I have just been continuing to do the same work and volunteer. So just continuation and not an improvement. I live in Cali, so state school advantage is out for me.

Only applying to California schools is your problem. Intensely competitive. You can go MD in another state probably if you get off your ass and apply.

a friend of mine had your stats, his sci gpa was a little lower, he barely got into Davis, but he did it. Did you have a LOR from your bro?? or what Dr wrote you one? You have a shot at MD for sure, just apply june 1 ! But apply both MD and DO, don't be so lazy lol

No, I actually applied to all the other schools as well about 20 total. And no, I didn't have my bro write me a rec.

But does it really make that much difference whether I apply in June vs in August?

No, I actually applied to all the other schools as well about 20 total. And no, I didn't have my bro write me a rec.

But does it really make that much difference whether I apply in June vs in August?

Yes because of rolling admissions....

Members don't see this ad :)
You look fine; I'm surprised you didn't do better with the MD scghools, unless you aimed too high. I suggest shadowing a DO, and maybe doing some more ECs. You definitely want to have an idea of how MDs differ from DOs.

Hi everyone, I will be applying to DO schools for the 2013
application cycle and wanted to know what I could do more to strengthen my application.

My stats are

GPA 3.7
GPA Science 4.0
MCAT 30
Clinical Volunteer 100
Community Service 1 year

seriously, that's an awesome GPA, don't be lazy and let all your hard work in school go to waste, start getting both apps prepared right now and submit as early as possible! I'm sure you could do 15 MD and 5 DO and have an acceptance! :) Just write a great PS, and try getting a DO LOR.

Two feedback I did receive from med school was that I simply didn't have enough clinical experience and volunteer experience as more traditional students ( i am super non traditional btw and my excuse was I had to make a living for GS!!) but anyways, i am wondering if this is going to hold true for DO school as well. I actually know exactly how DO and MD differs due to my previous career.

Yes because of rolling admissions....

so you are saying that due to rolling admission, someone with less experience and stats will have higher chance of getting in if they apply early?

so you are saying that due to rolling admission, someone with less experience and stats will have higher chance of getting in if they apply early?

Bingo. Read the underdog thread or a variety of the 'do I have a chance' posts and that's the sdn consensus.

My friend had no research, no clinical experience and similar stats, applied late to DO and got in... so just apply early and you will have no problem getting into a DO :)

A woman once told me: "You're not Mr. Right, you're Mr. Right Now."

She gave me an acceptance letter because she was on an adcom.

So what can I do from now on to increase the chances of my getting accepted into the DO school I am interested in attending (particularly Western)? I will be applying the first week of June BTW.