This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rx245b

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently graduated from graduate school. My undergraduate GPA was 3.43, leaving my science GPA in the 2.9 range. I had two undergraduate majors in physics and math and graduated with an MS in Biochemistry. I was going to apply last year but between my GPA and MCAT score (491), I stopped applying and I decided to go to graduate school instead. My grad GPA is a 3.9 and science GPA is a 3.88. I am planning on taking the MCAT this July, is that too late for this cycle? A few questions because I am getting very conflicting advice. Do I have a chance at US medical schools for this current 2018 cycles if I do well on the MCAT? I am being told to cut my losses and try for a Caribbean school and I might have a chance at a DO, but with all the work I put in, I really want to go to an MD school in the US. I have a very extensive amount of shadowing, extracurriculars, sports, greek life, volunteering. I would like to know where I stand based off your previous experiences and if I am actually as doomed as I am being told I am. My undergraduate GPA started low as an undergrad, I struggled my first year and a half, but every semester through to graduation my GPA increased and I did not receive grades lower than As and a few Bs after sophomore year. If you would like more information, please let me know, I am looking for any guidance and advice. I don't need to go to the best medical school in the world, any medicals school in America would be beyond appreciated.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
US MD is a long way off in your current situation.
Even the schools that don't average will be concerned by the first MCAT. There is nothing you can do about that, but the undergrad gpa's are a non-starter. Graduate gpa's do not offset your undergrad performance.
A sustained period of academic excellence and a strong MCAT score will put DO in range within a couple of years.
You can always ruin your finances at a Caribbean school. I don't recommend them.

As gyngyn mentioned, research MS are not counted in your cGPA, nor are the confidence builders for your ability to handle med school (unlike a postbac or SMP). Your MCAT is lethal for any US med school.
I had two undergraduate majors and graduated with an MS in Biochemistry. I was going to apply last year but between my GPA and MCAT score (488), I stopped applying and I decided to go to graduate school instead. My grad GPA is a 3.9 and science GOA is a 3.88.

For the 2017-18 cycle, not at all.
I am planning on taking the MCAT this July, is that too late for this cycle?

Perhaps if you apply braodly to DO schools, but also see below.
A few questions because I am getting very conflicting advice. Do I have a chance at US medical schools for this current 2018 cycles if I do well on the MCAT?

The Carib diploma mills grow fat and rich on desperate marks like you.
I am being told to cut my losses and try for a Caribbean school

Beggars can't be choosy.
and I might have a chance at a DO, but with all the work I put in, I really want to go to an MD school in the US.

Ahhh, rising GPA trends are always good. With a New MCAT score of 513+, you might have a chance at your state MD school(s) and the Drexel/Albany class schools, as well as a number of DO schools. But do not go to the Carib unless you like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt.
I would like to know where I stand based off your previous experiences and if I am actually as doomed as I am being told I am. My undergraduate GPA started low as an undergrad, I struggled my first year and a half, but every semester through to graduation my GPA increased and I did not receive grades lower than As and a few Bs after sophomore year. If you would like more information, please let me know, I am looking for any guidance and advice. I don't need to go to the best medical school in the world, any medicals school in America would be beyond appreciated. Also, I am a NY resident and I'm also wondering what are some of the best schools I can apply to based on my current situation and application strength.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I recently graduated from graduate school.I went to a tech school and my undergraduate GPA was 3.35, leaving my science GPA in the 2.9 range. I had two undergraduate majors and graduated with an MS in Biochemistry. I was going to apply last year but between my GPA and MCAT score (488), I stopped applying and I decided to go to graduate school instead. My grad GPA is a 3.9 and science GOA is a 3.88. I am planning on taking the MCAT this July, is that too late for this cycle? A few questions because I am getting very conflicting advice. Do I have a chance at US medical schools for this current 2018 cycles if I do well on the MCAT? I am being told to cut my losses and try for a Caribbean school and I might have a chance at a DO, but with all the work I put in, I really want to go to an MD school in the US. I have a very extensive amount of shadowing, extracurriculars, sports, greek life, volunteering, I work as an EMT and have had a research position for 4 years now, but so does everyone else. I would like to know where I stand based off your previous experiences and if I am actually as doomed as I am being told I am. My undergraduate GPA started low as an undergrad, I struggled my first year and a half, but every semester through to graduation my GPA increased and I did not receive grades lower than As and a few Bs after sophomore year. If you would like more information, please let me know, I am looking for any guidance and advice. I don't need to go to the best medical school in the world, any medicals school in America would be beyond appreciated. Also, I am a NY resident and I'm also wondering what are some of the best schools I can apply to based on my current situation and application strength.

Thank you
US MD is a long way off in your current situation.
Even the schools that don't average will be concerned by the first MCAT. There is nothing you can do about that, but the undergrad gpa's are a non-starter. Graduate gpa's do not offset your undergrad performance.
A sustained period of academic excellence and a strong MCAT score will put DO in range within a couple of years.
You can always ruin your finances at a Caribbean school. I don't recommend them.

Reactions: 1 user
Your gpa's are well below the ugpa 10th percentiles for most schools. Your first mcat is the same. I would be doing some post bac work over the next year and applying in 2018 with a much better MCAT 508+. You can try your luck with DO schools, however only after getting an mcat of 504+back. Your ugpa and MCAT both say that you will have difficulty completing medical school and schools wont give you a shot until you can show that you can handle the academics (through an excellent mcat, and sustained ugpa greater than 3.5).

Last edited: