What do i do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

young&lost

Youth Of The Nation
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new to every thing. I am a 19 year old freshmen in college. My goal in life is to accomplish my dream to become a orthopedic surgeon.

Is There anyone who could tell me the best way to go about it?

It sounds very hard and difacult. But I'm very ambisious. I dont know where to start or what to do.

someone please help. :confused: :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

young&lost said:
Hi I am new to every thing. I am a 19 year old freshmen in college. My goal in life is to accomplish my dream to become a orthopedic surgeon.

Is There anyone who could tell me the best way to go about it?

It sounds very hard and difacult. But I'm very ambisious. I dont know where to start or what to do.

someone please help. :confused: :scared:

1) Do well in college so you have a killer GPA and can smoke the MCAT.
2) Practice playing with power tools in your spare time.
3) Learn to spell "difficult" and "ambitious" before you write your personal statement for residency applicaitons.

You might want to learn to spell 'everything' as well as learn proper capitalization.

Seriously, there are books and books with this info. Swing by your local Barnes and Noble and have a look. Also, your college advising office ought to have information on getting in to medical school.Start there and if you have specific questions, come back here.

You have a long way to go. Start with getting into medical school--regular M.D. school, not D.O. or Caribbean. That’s a good start.

Hope this helps,

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Major in a science (any science) in college and do well. Make sure to knock off med school prereqs like bio with lab even if you don't study biology.
2. After graduation, get a job. A pay for position, real world, working man's job. This will give you the perspective to make step 4 seem easy compared to your straight through from college buds. Do this for 2-3 years (might seem like a while, but ortho is already a 10 year journey, so relax and enjoy the ride). Use money earned to invest for retirement, buy a car maybe a house. You will have jumpstart on being an adult.
3. Get into med school. Prepare diligently for MCATs using the insight gained in real world experiences during #2.
4. Preclinical years - Study hard. Pre-read. Attend class. Review anytime anyone mentions or you even think of something you have learned but cannot remember like you are looking at a book. You are a walking anatomy cheat sheet. Always be studying anatomy. You are going to be a surgeon, you have to know it cold. If you are consciencous, you will score 75th percentile or above on step one virtually without trying
5. Clinicals - Show up early. Do things before being asked to (do not overstep your bounds). Carry more patients than every other med student. Never make students or especially residents look bad at rounds. You are really making yourself look bad and you WILL get bad reviews. Make them look good by giving them all the info on your patients and topics about those patients you have researched over night. Stay late. Do scut work with a smile. You WILL get good reviews. Make sure to have scheduled time with attendings or department heads. Be prepared for these. These people's letters will MAKE your application.
6. Application - By this time if you are the type of person described above; hard working, prepared, dedicated and someone people like working with, then you will likely have no trouble getting a residency as an orthopaedic surgeon.
7. Sping of your senior year - Enjoy, you have matched. Take medicine electives so you stay sharp - do not consult medicine for a sugar of 200.

These steps may seems like are common sense, but I can tell you that almost nobody apples these to their lives. Work hard and above all do not be discouraged if your undergraduate work isn't 4.0 with a double in bio and biochem. You can be an orthopaedic surgeon if you want to. You just have to decide you are willing to work hard enough to acheive it.

moquito_17 said:
You might want to learn to spell 'everything' as well as learn proper capitalization.

Seriously, there are books and books with this info. Swing by your local Barnes and Noble and have a look. Also, your college advising office ought to have information on getting in to medical school.Start there and if you have specific questions, come back here.

You have a long way to go. Start with getting into medical school--regular M.D. school, not D.O. or Caribbean. That’s a good start.

Hope this helps,

If you go DO it doesn't close that many doors for you. Caribbean does however.

Bull's eye said:
If you go DO it doesn't close that many doors for you. Caribbean does however.
I have to agree with you on this. There are hundreds of DO ortho residents and only a few Caribbean MD ortho residents in training.

hammena1 said:
1. Major in a science (any science) in college and do well. Make sure to knock off med school prereqs like bio with lab even if you don't study biology.
2. After graduation, get a job. A pay for position, real world, working man's job. This will give you the perspective to make step 4 seem easy compared to your straight through from college buds. Do this for 2-3 years (might seem like a while, but ortho is already a 10 year journey, so relax and enjoy the ride). Use money earned to invest for retirement, buy a car maybe a house. You will have jumpstart on being an adult.
3. Get into med school. Prepare diligently for MCATs using the insight gained in real world experiences during #2.
4. Preclinical years - Study hard. Pre-read. Attend class. Review anytime anyone mentions or you even think of something you have learned but cannot remember like you are looking at a book. You are a walking anatomy cheat sheet. Always be studying anatomy. You are going to be a surgeon, you have to know it cold. If you are consciencous, you will score 75th percentile or above on step one virtually without trying
5. Clinicals - Show up early. Do things before being asked to (do not overstep your bounds). Carry more patients than every other med student. Never make students or especially residents look bad at rounds. You are really making yourself look bad and you WILL get bad reviews. Make them look good by giving them all the info on your patients and topics about those patients you have researched over night. Stay late. Do scut work with a smile. You WILL get good reviews. Make sure to have scheduled time with attendings or department heads. Be prepared for these. These people's letters will MAKE your application.
6. Application - By this time if you are the type of person described above; hard working, prepared, dedicated and someone people like working with, then you will likely have no trouble getting a residency as an orthopaedic surgeon.
7. Sping of your senior year - Enjoy, you have matched. Take medicine electives so you stay sharp - do not consult medicine for a sugar of 200.

These steps may seems like are common sense, but I can tell you that almost nobody apples these to their lives. Work hard and above all do not be discouraged if your undergraduate work isn't 4.0 with a double in bio and biochem. You can be an orthopaedic surgeon if you want to. You just have to decide you are willing to work hard enough to acheive it.

Thank you

this is the best info anyone has givin me

I will use all of the advise and I know my spelling needs work, I will practice safe spelling
once again thank you very much you dont know how bad i was looking for this kind information. your help is greatly appreciated

hammena1 said:

:) Thank you very much :)

I will use every bit of information. you dont know how hard I was looking for this kind of information. Im working on the spelling part as well.

Once again thank you your help is greatly appreciated :thumbup: :)