This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcash914

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore at a great school in North Carolina. I have a few questions. Do medical schools look at the difficulty of our undergraduate institutions? My school is definitely not the easiest, and I have heard many people say that. Should I forgo my pre-med classes to prevent further damage to my GPA? Currently, it is a 3.1. I am thinking about just doing a post bacc at an easier school to get my GPA up by retaking three and four classes and finishing my requirements. I would appreciate some input.

Members don't see this ad.

They do care about the prestige/difficulty of your undergrad, but it's still not enough to compensate for a low GPA. Do you have the money to just take all your pre-reqs at a post-bacc after graduation? They're not cheap...

They do care about the prestige/difficulty of your undergrad, but it's still not enough to compensate for a low GPA. Do you have the money to just take all your pre-reqs at a post-bacc after graduation? They're not cheap...
Due to a program at my current school, I will graduate practically debt free. So the debt that I would accumulate would be fine since it would not be adding to anything else...or so I assume.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, the perceived academic rigor of your undergrad is not going to help your 3.1 GPA, especially when your school is presumably putting out some 3.7+ applicants.

You should figure out why you are getting low grades before taking any additional pre-requisite classes. Take a lighter course load in the mean time to prevent any further damage to your GPA.
I think that my mental health is a factor in my grades. I am going to see someone about it later this year. If I receive a diagnosis, will medical schools understand?

I think that my mental health is a factor in my grades. I am going to see someone about it later this year. If I receive a diagnosis, will medical schools understand?
Having an illness does not keep you out of medical school. Inability to perform at the level required does. Sustained evidence of excellence will be needed to overcome a weak start (without regard for the reason).

Reactions: 1 users
Having an illness does not keep you out of medical school. Inability to perform at the level required does. Sustained evidence of excellence will be needed to overcome a weak start (without regard for the reason).

To add to this...

Med school is stressful and med school is hard.

Adcomms want to see that you can get a handle on your poor performance and have a good track record of strong performance once you get a handle of things. I'd say that this is usually atleast 2 years of solid performance in upper level coursework. If you don't get this in undergrad. It might be helpful to work for a few years and take classes to get this together. This will help your app and gap years are very helpful if done right.

For now, however, the most important thing is to get a handle on what's going on. I wish you the best of luck doing this. Be well.

Reactions: 3 users
If you think that mental health may be a factor, I'd strongly suggest you see someone sooner rather than later. This problem won't go away on its own.

As others have mentioned, the best way to convince medical schools that the problem is resolved is through strong and consistent academic performance from this point forward. And I personally would not disclose any mental illnesses (if one is ultimately diagnosed). I think that it would more likely hurt rather than help your application.

Agree 100%.

Medical School is a furnace. I have seen it break even healthy students. If you think you have a problem OP, Get help as soon as possible.

To add to this...

Med school is stressful and med school is hard.

Adcomms want to see that you can get a handle on your poor performance and have a good track record of strong performance once you get a handle of things. I'd say that this is usually atleast 2 years of solid performance in upper level coursework. If you don't get this in undergrad. It might be helpful to work for a few years and take classes to get this together. This will help your app and gap years are very helpful if done right.

For now, however, the most important thing is to get a handle on what's going on. I wish you the best of luck doing this. Be well.

Reactions: 1 user
I think she means if she gets diagnosed, will she get off easier for having a low GPA, not the other way around

Reactions: 1 user