What CME credits and are they important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aresnebula

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I should be acquiring CME credits in my residency. I always heard about CME but never knew what it was or what it was important for.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
CME is irrelevant in residency. It’s just required educational hours you need to do every 1-3 years (depending on state) to keep your license as an attending. It’s why people pay those fees to go to conferences.

It resets every turn of the 1-3 years depending on state, so no point in trying to accrue them as a resident.

Reactions: 1 user
You should get in the habit of asking your 3rd year / residency leadership / residency director these sort of questions. My residency director once had me ask the state licensing board a question that they didn't know the answer to. Part of maturing as a podiatrist is learning who is the ultimate answer to these sorts of questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if I should be acquiring CME credits in my residency. I always heard about CME but never knew what it was or what it was important for.
If your program comps you for conference attendance and/or presents lectures, definitely track your CMEs spring of 3rd year since it will count for licensing requirements where you eventually practice that year.

Reactions: 1 user
I was randomly selected and audited during my residency for my CMEs to keep my state license at the time. Turned in my certificates, so yes, it does matter during residency (if you have a full state license).

I was randomly selected and audited during my residency for my CMEs to keep my state license at the time. Turned in my certificates, so yes, it does matter during residency (if you have a full state license).

Wait are there states that require you to have a license during residency? How does that work with the board exams of part 3? Maybe my memory is just hazy but I don’t think I applied for a state license until I finished residency

Wait are there states that require you to have a license during residency? How does that work with the board exams of part 3? Maybe my memory is just hazy but I don’t think I applied for a state license until I finished residency
Pennsylvania used to be a full license and required part 3 before you could start residency.

That's why unmatched people used to move there to do traveling nailcare.

• Sad
  • Wow
1696445235192.png

Or...or...or, mabye the APMA/CPME make it so we can get our CECH credits from AMA approved institutions instead of wasting resources an infinitesemally small victory

(Sorry, I didn't want to start a new thread on this)

View attachment 377377

Or...or...or, mabye the APMA/CPME make it so we can get our CECH credits from AMA approved institutions instead of wasting resources an infinitesemally small victory

(Sorry, I didn't want to start a new thread on this)

You can get them for free through the AMA education site/portal. Raise your hand if you think APMA will do the same once they are approved to provide them?

Yep, state I did residency in, I had to take part 3 before starting. Talk about a stressful pass/fail situation lol. Thankfully it was one of the easiest tests in podiatry if I recall.