What clinical volunteering/usefulness can I have as an EMT-B?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soulstice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently became an EMT-B. Now, I plan to use it to volunteer on the ambulance (as I've found, I don't have enough experience just yet for a paid position, unless it's with a private transport). How do I go about finding a position as an ER tech, or a clinic volunteer, or something else that allows me to get in-hospital clinical experience that is purposeful, and not just delivering jello/bedpans to patients? Any suggestions? Thanks?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently became an EMT-B. Now, I plan to use it to volunteer on the ambulance (as I've found, I don't have enough experience just yet for a paid position, unless it's with a private transport). How do I go about finding a position as an ER tech, or a clinic volunteer, or something else that allows me to get in-hospital clinical experience that is purposeful, and not just delivering jello/bedpans to patients? Any suggestions? Thanks?

Speaking as someone who became an EMT-B to volunteer with my local system: I'm pretty sure that volunteering on the ambulance counts, because God knows I can (per LizzyM) smell my patients. You should be good to go if you volunteer on the ambulance. Obviously you'll want to shadow as well so that you can get a look at what the docs actually do and fill out that part of your application.

If you know that the volunteer position on the bus counts as clinical experience, but you want an in-hospital position anyway: Your scope of practice as an EMT-B is fairly minimal and fairly useless, since most of it (as one might expect it to do) focuses on pre-hospital stabilization and transport. You can't even start an IV. With that said, I'd look for your local hospitals and free clinics and contact them with inquiries if you're set on going this route, because they'll be the ones who can actually speak to what they want.

In that case, do you think doing an EMT-I would help get that sense of usefulness in the hospital (and also on the ambulance?)

Members don't see this ad :)
In that case, do you think doing an EMT-I would help get that sense of usefulness in the hospital (and also on the ambulance?)

I think it varies on the state. In my state it's rare for a hospital to hire an EMT-B or I for anything more than a CNA type position. And really the only place I have ever seen medics utilized is in some EDs (4 major hospitals and 3 smaller ones in this region and only 1 will hire medics).

In terms of on the street again this will vary based on an Intermediates scope of practice. Here they are essentially an EMT-B who can start an IV, give some fluids and D50, that's it. However in Indiana the only difference between a medic and intermediate is advanced airway skills (I could cut a neck and RSI, intermediates couldn't).

Few hospitals have positions that will utilize an Intermediate's skill-set inside hospital walls. Even most EDs won't let medics do medic things while employed in the ED. Part of this has to do with actions from various nursing organizations to shut out other providers from doing tasks that they view as traditionally nurse jobs (start IVs, give meds, assess patients, etc). A medic is far cheaper than a nurse, and the fear is that hospital systems would preferentially hire more medics to do those jobs, rather than hire or retain additional nursing staff.

As far as getting a job as an EMT-B in the hospital, it can easily be done, you just would likely work as a CNA/Technical Assistant/Care Partner/Whatever-they-decide-to-call-the-lowly-assistant. I worked as one of those when I was a B, and it wasn't too bad (pay was MUCH better than the ambulance). However, it did serve to make me more bitter towards floor nurses, as I would do the vitals, clean up after, feed, record I/Os, put in/take out foleys and straight caths, do Q2 turns, etc about thirty patients (aka, the entire ward) each shift, while they would have their three or four patients only, and constantly bitch in the breakroom about how tough it was to work there, and how underappreciated they were.

Anyway, you could also look at various other tech jobs in the hospital, as the amount of additional training that would be required is less if you are already a B or I. A buddy of mine got a job as a phlebotomist while he was in Enhanced (Virginia's version of Intermediate-85) class.

For those of you who worked as techs--did you just go into the hospital and ask, or did you consult any online/print source?

For those of you who worked as techs--did you just go into the hospital and ask, or did you consult any online/print source?

I was previously working in the northern Bay Area and ED tech jobs were very hard to come by. For each job posting there would be ~100 applications. Those who did work as techs (especially at the local trauma center) were usually former military medics/corpsmen or had >5 years of tech experience. Clerk jobs were much less sought after though, and might be something to look into. You'll just need an arrhythmia class (usually). The pay is comparable and you can work in different areas of the hospital.