What classes would you take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mward04

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical situation...
If you were to design a business education for docs from your local business school, and they could only take 3 classes, which classes would they be?

Another option is, if you could teach docs about business (assume they know nothing about business), how would you do it?

Members don't see this ad.

I have only a BBA no MBA... But this is what I would pick
Priniciples of Finance is a MUST, you need to know how to set a budget and figure ROI
Investment Finance - learn to make solid business investments
Microeconomics - understand the basic business models

Although I HATED accounting, it would probably be beneficial to have financial accouting to understand how books are kept, also helps you to understand finance better.

Mgmt classes seemed extremely worthless to me. Management is best learned by doing rather than theory. If you want to learn priniciples of management, find a book at Barnes and Nobles.

A class in entrepreneuring would probably be smart as well if you plan on making your own practice.

Also, i would LOVE to talk with docs who have set up succesful private practices and see how they set how they set up their business formulas.

Members don't see this ad :)
mward04 said:
Thanks for the responses...what about negotiations?

Is there a specific negotiations class at your b-school? My program didn't have one.

If I had to pick just 2, it would probably be
Management Accounting (NOT financial accounting) -- it is important to understand how your costs go together, and how others look at you as a potential cost or profit center. Financial accounting teaches you all the rules and such, but isn't anywhere as useful as management accounting unless you work in finance reading balance sheets or work up towards CXO level work

Operations Management -- understanding why a system doesn't work as well as it could and being able to model potential changes is very important.

Hard to pick a third: it would heavily depend on what kind of career one was looking for.

My three:
Basics of Finance
Introduction to Law, especially as it relates to contracts, duty of care etc
Marketing/promotions.

Useful background and enough to at least nod intelligently when talking to an adviser.