What certificates do most EMT premeds have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysk1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Among EMR, EMT-B, EMT-I, and EMT-P, what is the most common license that a majority of premeds use to qualify for an EMT job?

Members don't see this ad.

Since an EMR, or first responder as they are called in some states, normally doesn't find work as it is intended as a training program for cops, firefighters, etc.....the answer would obviously be EMT-B. Very few premeds ever achieve paramedic credentials because of the time commitment required to do so. However, I do not recommend becoming an EMT solely as a way to pad your resume.

Thanks for your reply.
I guess I should just go with an EMR, which is the Canadian equivalent for the US's EMT-B.
I'm aware that having a certification but no experience is useless. I'm going to actually use this license to work in an EMT position for 2 or more years before applying to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply.
I guess I should just go with an EMR, which is the Canadian equivalent for the US's EMT-B.
I'm aware that having a certification but no experience is useless. I'm going to actually use this license to work in an EMT position for 2 or more years before applying to med school.

:thumbup: for getting paid to sleep or do homework.

Thanks for your reply.

Have fun working on Texada Island, Barkerville, or other places with call volumes less than 200/year. Just kidding ysk. ;)

I'm drawing a blank here...?

Thanks.

EMT-INTERMEDIATES do many advanced paramedic level skills like start IV's , give certain meds, some advanced airway procedutes, etc
emt-I is around 500 hrs of coursework after emt-basic.
emt-paramedic is 1200 hrs+ after emt-basic

I'm drawing a blank here...?

Thanks.
Not all states have this level. At the service I spent most of my time as an EMT-I we could given about 15 medications, start IV's, needle decompression, intubate, cardiovert and a few other things.

Not all states have this level. At the service I spent most of my time as an EMT-I we could given about 15 medications, start IV's, needle decompression, intubate, cardiovert and a few other things.

I thought EMT-Is were pretty variable in their skillsets, as you move from state to state.

Hence why I answered her question with "in between basic and paramedic". :laugh:

That's quite a lot of stuff for an EMT-I though...what COULDN'T you do?

In my region, nothing the paramedic couldn't do. Last I checked, calling for orders for dopamine, or cardioversion was pretty much what differentiated the two...well, that and a rather large pay difference at my old job.

I thought EMT-Is were pretty variable in their skillsets, as you move from state to state.

Hence why I answered her question with "in between basic and paramedic". :laugh:

some places don't let intermediates cardiovert or intubate. in these places they are limited to placing combitubes or king LT airways. there are a few meds that medics can give on standing order that intermediates either can't do or need to call a base station physician for clearance every time to utilize.
it is even more confusing in some states as a few places have diffent levels of intermediate:
emt-I (IV)
emt-I (airway)

Among EMR, EMT-B, EMT-I, and EMT-P, what is the most common license that a majority of premeds use to qualify for an EMT job?

I am a 31 year old applicant who has been a paramedic for 5 years. But I would say that the most common is an EMT-B cert. Just that it is the easiest, quickest thing to get to gain experience.

Members don't see this ad :)

For an "EMT-B job", most premeds get their EMT-B. :D

For an "EMT-B job", most premeds get their EMT-B. :D
ZipMedic, master of the blatantly obvious...... ;) To you sir, my hat is off :laugh: Well played.....

Well, seeing as the medics in that area carry >50 medications last time I checked, quite a bit. :laugh: But you're right.....the variability is absolutely horrible. Sometimes it varies within states or even within individual counties.

But not many people refer to a medic or intermediate job as "an EMT" job.

But not many people refer to a medic or intermediate job as "an EMT" job.
Unless they are the patient, then everyone is a paramedic:
"That one paramedic there....."
"No, he's one of our junior firefighters....." (think slave labor)
"Well, what about that one really hairy paramedic outside there?"
"Ma'am, how many fingers am I holding up?"
"Two, why?"
"Because that's a Rottweiler." :laugh: (one of our volunteers has his Rottweiler in his POV with him almost all the time....in the patient's defense, the dog was wearing a t-shirt from our department (don't ask))

Unless they are the patient, then everyone is a paramedic:
"That one paramedic there....."
"No, he's one of our junior firefighters....." (think slave labor)
"Well, what about that one really hairy paramedic outside there?"
"Ma'am, how many fingers am I holding up?"
"Two, why?"
"Because that's a Rottweiler." :laugh: (one of our volunteers has his Rottweiler in his POV with him almost all the time....in the patient's defense, the dog was wearing a t-shirt from our department (don't ask))

This kind of stuff makes me wonder sometimes...at one point are they A&Ox4 or ALOC if stupidity instead of trauma's involved. :rolleyes:

I'm a bit late with this, but thanks to those who answered my question!

I would rather have everyone called a paramedic than ambulance driver.
I've had this conversation more than once:
Me: Hi, I'm docB.
Patient: You're the doctor?
Me: Yes.
Patient: Well I thought you were an ambulance driver.
Me: Ok. I'm not sure what I should do with that comment but I will say you've insulted two professions with one sentence.

Conversation with pre-eclamptic patient:

Pregnant woman: "I read about this. I could have a seizure."
Me: "Just try and relax. Deep breaths of that oxygen. If anything happens, we'll give you some medication to try and stop the seizure."
Pregnant woman: "They let ambulance drivers give medication?"

Here in NJ, there are no EMT-I's. You have either basic or paramedic. As someone mentioned earlier, most people opt for basic since it is a lot less time to reach certification. But also, as someone else said, don't just get the cert for the sake of having it on your app. You need to have some real experience with it to make it worth anything. I've been a volunteer EMT-B for two years now and have been on about 300 calls so far. I plan to continue to to ride right up to when I start medical school and perhaps even beyond if I have the time.

Conversation with pre-eclamptic patient:

Pregnant woman: "I read about this. I could have a seizure."
Me: "Just try and relax. Deep breaths of that oxygen. If anything happens, we'll give you some medication to try and stop the seizure."
Pregnant woman: "They let ambulance drivers give medication?"
Even my own parents have called me an ambulance driver before, but they DO know I do more than drive the ambulance. ;)

In NY they have another intermediate certification (besides EMT-I) that can do almost all of the skills as a paramedic and administer a large portion of the medications, but they have to call medical control for permission first on some of them and have a lot less training. Therefore they don't really understand the full effects and possible complications of some of the stuff they do, and follow protocol fairly blindly sometimes without the ability to think of underlying causes. (not all, some actually learn the background info, but most don't get it). Anyway, I got this certification (EMT-Critical Care), and was disappointed with the training that i recieved in the course and had to learn a lot on my own to feel comfortable using my skills. Luckily i had a lot of great paramedics around to help me get up to snuff on my information and skills.