what can i do with a preventative medicine residency in Ghana?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghandoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
Ghana in da house!!
i had a question.
i'm currently in my 2nd year in a US med school.
I want to go home and practice some day.
I'm also interested in public health.
My question is this.
I was wondering if i did an MPH/preventative residency after med school(with maybe 1 year transitional Internal medicine year), will i be 'allowed' /'able' to practice general medicine in Ghana when i go home.
my ideal work schedule is to have 2-3 days clinical practice and then the rest of the week work in public health for an NGO/teach?
but what i'm asking is whether i'll be able/allowed to practice in general medicine if i have just a 'preventative medicine' residency from the US. (i'm tring to cut down my years in school here since if i did another specialy like family practice/pediatrics in addition to the public health, i'll be in school 'forever'. )
let me know what you think,
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ghanadoc,
Why not??? The last time I checked folks arriving from Cuba, Russia and Eastern Europe with no residency were absorved into the system. SO I don't see why you shd have a problem after graduating from a US Medical School. I think residency is a plus and facilitates things back home.
In theory I think this kind of residencies are very relevant to the Ghanaian Health System. A lot of pple die cos of so many preventable diseases mainly becos of ignorance. In my personal opinion Ghana gotta strengthen the Public Health System.
Btw congrats for making it into a US Medical School. I am also a medical student, however on a Brazil Gov't Scholarship in Brazil. Holla

Ghanadoc,
Why not??? The last time I checked folks arriving from Cuba, Russia and Eastern Europe with no residency were absorved into the system. SO I don't see why you shd have a problem after graduating from a US Medical School. I think residency is a plus and facilitates things back home.
In theory I think this kind of residencies are very relevant to the Ghanaian Health System. A lot of pple die cos of so many preventable diseases mainly becos of ignorance. In my personal opinion Ghana gotta strengthen the Public Health System.
Btw congrats for making it into a US Medical School. I am also a medical student, however on a Brazil Gov't Scholarship in Brazil. Holla

hey thanks for your reply... good point about people coming to Ghana to practice from all over.
that's good news for me. yeh, i'm trying to see how i can incorporate preventitive medicine into my career and help my motherland.