What can I call my new role in my lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propsych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been in my lab for 2 years, 1 as an RA and 1 as the lab manager. Now that I graduated and got a job as an RA in a different lab, I have resigned as "manager" and have been training/transitioning to the new manager all summer.

While I am moving on in this way, I am still part of the lab in a different capacity and need to figure out what to call my role on my cv, as I do not want to say "lab manager" still as it is not accurate. My current role at this lab is/will be for at least the next year:

1) Assist with coming up with study design/ writing up the IRB/getting it approved for a study to start in the spring or next fall
2) I appointed a manager for the study we launch tomorrow (yay) and she will be checking in with me whenever there are issues/questions about this study that I have worked on for nearly a year in preparation.
3) Managing this project remotely basically
4) Writing manuscripts remotely with my PI and co-authors
5) acting as a resource to RAs about studies, submitting IRBs, making surveys, study designs, grad school etc.
6) potentially create a whole new study with an RA from scratch.

What do I call myself on my CV and is my brief description what I should put under the name as the description? a lot of it is what I have under the lab manager title.

Members don't see this ad.

Why aren't you asking the PI what your title should be?

I've never had a job where I was able to decide my title on my own.

Reactions: 1 user
Institutions where I have worked have called this type of role "research associate" or something to that effect. But I would ask your PI for guidance.