What can a PA do that an RN can’t?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

...and vice versa? Are physicians assistants more powerful than nurses?

I know this is the Pre-med board, but you still need pre-med to apply to PA programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
The two providers perform different roles. PAs are more closely aligned with doctors: they write prescriptions, give orders, evaluate patients, perform procedures. Nurses on the other hand receive orders, maintain hygiene care of patients (at least were I am), hand out meds, change wound dressings. the Two do different things, simply said.

Reactions: 1 user
PAs have prescribing powers that nurses don't have (but that nurse practioners may have in some jurisdictions).
Some of what a PA will do depends on the setting. I have had a PA remove a cast, examine a surgical incision and reapply a cast. I also think that they assist my orthopaedic surgeon in the OR as well as in the office (but I was knocked out for that, thank God!).

In addition to needing pre-med classes to apply to PA programs, in my experience they also look for more clinical experience, usually in a paid position as a patient care technician, nurse's aide, or EMT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are physicians assistants more powerful than nurses?
Neither profession is "more powerful" than the other. Ditto when you compare doctors and nurses, etc. We all play an essential role in patients' care.

PAs are much closer to MDs than RNs given their ability to prescribe and more or less act autonomously (with supervision from a MD). At my hospital, PAs are essentially like medical residents (with much better hours and pay).

Reactions: 1 users
From a surgical perspective, when I shadowed a CT surgeon the PA and residents did the opening/closing of chest. Basically all the stuff the attending didn’t want to do I guess.

Pre-PA students have a little more flexibility on their entrance requirements. For instance, not all schools require Organic Chemistry, and none of them require physics. However, some require Genetics, Microbiology (for science majors), and A & P for science majors. But, each school varies on their prerequisites.

They are medical providers. So, their roles are similar to physicians.

Neither profession is "more powerful" than the other. Ditto when you compare doctors and nurses, etc. We all play an essential role in patients' care.

PAs are much closer to MDs than RNs given their ability to prescribe and more or less act autonomously (with supervision from a MD). At my hospital, PAs are essentially like medical residents (with much better hours and pay).

In a perfect world, that is true. Let's be honest! We are not in a perfect world here.