Debating on what to do... (RN/NP or Pharmd)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hlin

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just want to first say thanks to whoever can comment and help me :)

TLDR: I got accepted to highly ranked pharmacy and nursing schools and I am stuck between the two. I have talked to many nurses and pharmacists already, but I just can’t make up my mind.

Pharmacy: ~240k cost of attendance, job market saturation, but it is not as labor intensive as nurses and can still live comfortably with good money management.

Nursing: ~100k cost of attendance for the specific program that I am doing, higher demand, labor intensive.

I am leaning more towards nursing because it is more hands-on and I feel I’d make more impact in patients’ lives. I read a lot of stuff online and majority of the opinions are in favor of nurses i.e. in higher demand and more job diversity.

The things that are holding me back are I do get a little squeamish when I see needles. I heard it is something people can get over with practice. I have also heard they are often overworked and underpaid. They do get a lot of backlash from the patient, patient’s family, and provider. Though they are in high demand, there is also a lot of competition too for new grads, especially in my area.

Curious if there are people who tried out pharmacy and then switched over to nursing or vice versa? Any thoughts welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

TLDR: I got accepted to highly ranked pharmacy and nursing schools and I am stuck between the two. I have talked to many nurses and pharmacists already, but I just can’t make up my mind.

Pharmacy: ~240k cost of attendance, job market saturation, but it is not as labor intensive as nurses and can still live comfortably with good money management.

Nursing: ~100k cost of attendance for the specific program that I am doing, higher demand, labor intensive.

I am leaning more towards nursing because it is more hands-on and I feel I’d make more impact in patients’ lives. I read a lot of stuff online and majority of the opinions are in favor of nurses i.e. in higher demand and more job diversity.

The things that are holding me back are I do get a little squeamish when I see needles. I heard it is something people can get over with practice. I have also heard they are often overworked and underpaid. They do get a lot of backlash from the patient, patient’s family, and provider. Though they are in high demand, there is also a lot of competition too for new grads, especially in my area.

Curious if there are people who tried out pharmacy and then switched over to nursing or vice versa? Any thoughts welcome!

Just to clarify - I would be graduating as a RN with a master degree. I am not NP yet. I would go back to school for it if I want to in the future.

Go NP, PharmD is dead.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would chose NP over PharmD. Less debt becoming an NP and not a big difference in pay.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify - I would be graduating as a RN with a master degree. I am not NP yet. I would go back to school for it if I want to in the future.

Sounds like a "Masters - Clinical Nurse Leader" program. Those are incredibly expensive programs that give you little in return. In my opinion, those aren't good degrees to start your career as a nurse because you'll get into a lot of debt (unless money isn't an issue). If you go for NP later, you'll spend another $50k-$100k for it. Consider accelerated BSN from a state school, then apply to an NP program. FYI - ranking has very little meaning in nursing.

Primary care NPs (FNP and AGPCNP) have become saturated as well. In my area, few new-grad in those specialties get jobs. They'll either have to move to a rural location or do a residency (extremely few of those). If they do find a job, the pay is not great. Even experienced NPs are having a hard time. There are so many online NP programs these days pumping out lots of NPs each month. I would do some serious research before committing to either route.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All,

No! Don’t do PharmD. PharmD is dead. 0% job outlook. With Nursing, you will be in demand and can become a NP or CRNA. Stay away from pharmacy. I am a new grad of pharmacy and I am hacking a tough time getting a job.

I would chose NP over PharmD. Less debt becoming an NP and not a big difference in pay.
Big difference now due to saturation of pharmacy market. Salaries and and hours are getting cut in pharmacy. NP or CRNA over pharmacy

No! Don’t do PharmD. PharmD is dead. 0% job outlook. With Nursing, you will be in demand and can become a NP or CRNA. Stay away from pharmacy. I am a new grad of pharmacy and I am hacking a tough time getting a job.
Does school make a difference in residency/job outlook? Like UCSF

Does school make a difference in residency/job outlook? Like UCSF
No it doesn’t. 70% of the jobs are in retail. Retail and hospital are cutting hours and salaries. It does not matter what school you go to. I am from a established school and it is saturated in Alabama. Cali has 12 pharmacy schools. Sure, going to established gives you a chance at a residency vs LECOM, but residency is temporary. You will be lucky to get a PRN job afterwards.
Nursing is the better field. More demand . Nursing will never be replaced.

I will not go to pharmacy school. There are also no jobs for NPs. After working as a floor nurse, go for CRNA.