What are your options for gradPLUS loans if you have bankruptcy or defaulted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumMan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get into medical school and take on loans in the near future.

A bad business transaction is likely to lead to bankruptcy or a default judgement.

I looked at the gradPLUS requirements (here) and they assert that adverse credit like bankruptcy or default judgement makes you ineligible for gradPLUS, unless you get an endorser who doesn't have adverse credit.

What are the requirements for an endorser? I have an 18 year old brother with no credit history (not adverse credit) who would be willing to sign. Does that work?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking to get into medical school and take on loans in the near future.

A bad business transaction is likely to lead to bankruptcy or a default judgement.

I looked at the gradPLUS requirements (here) and they assert that adverse credit like bankruptcy or default judgement makes you ineligible for gradPLUS, unless you get an endorser who doesn't have adverse credit.

What are the requirements for an endorser? I have an 18 year old brother with no credit history (not adverse credit) who would be willing to sign. Does that work?

http://www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org/new-rules-plus-loan-credit-checks/

According to this website, "The absence of any credit history cannot be considered an indication of an adverse credit history and is not to be used as a reason for denial." I would contact studentloans.gov, and ask directly. You can even have a live chat with an advisor: https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/contactUs.action.

Just be sure that your brother understands the responsibility of being an endorser (co-signer), and what the consequences would be if you're unable to pay your students loans (although I know this would be HIGHLY unlikely). Nevertheless, you have an awesome younger brother. Be sure to remember him when you become a successful physician. Good luck.