What are your feelings/answers to the following questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alakazam123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Why are so many doctors opposed to universal healthcare?

2. Why do some doctors state that one shouldn't do medicine for the money, but then complain about lower reimbursement rates under a single-payer system?

3. Some doctors believe healthcare is not a right, and must be paid for...wouldn't it be alright if it were paid for through taxes, and the government paid them? Furthermore, how do you deal with the patients who cannot pay (those below the federal poverty line)?

4. How exactly do we keep healthcare costs low while keeping physician lives stable (salary wise, work/life balance, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Because we don't like being told what to do nor allowing a single entity to control our profession lives.

2. Because if you do medicine purely for the money, you'll be unhappy. Medicine is not unique in this. Any job done purely for money is likely to leave you bitter and unhappy. When you're used to being paid roughly $x, the idea of suddenly being bad $X-Y is distasteful.

3. Why would that be alright? You're going to tax me more to pay for my own services? If a patient is poor but doesn't qualify for Medicaid they get the cash discount. If they can't pay that, there are lots of FQHCs and Free Clinics around.

4. Cut out administrative and insurance waste/bloat.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Because we don't like being told what to do nor allowing a single entity to control our profession lives.

2. Because if you do medicine purely for the money, you'll be unhappy. Medicine is not unique in this. Any job done purely for money is likely to leave you bitter and unhappy. When you're used to being paid roughly $x, the idea of suddenly being bad $X-Y is distasteful.

3. Why would that be alright? You're going to tax me more to pay for my own services? If a patient is poor but doesn't qualify for Medicaid they get the cash discount. If they can't pay that, there are lots of FQHCs and Free Clinics around.

4. Cut out administrative and insurance waste/bloat.

Pardon me for the following question, but since I do not like to make assumptions about people's viewpoints, how do you feel about the following scenario:

Patient presents with horrible stomach pain. They are diagnosed eventually with gastric cancer, but they just cannot afford the treatment...would you still treat them? Or would you leave it to the Free Clinics which are notoriously underfunded, understaffed, and low quality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what are some of the administrative waste bloat?

Too many administrators making too much money and not producing anythign

Do you think that those who are in low income families should be sent to those free clinics tho? Aren't they usually understaffed, underfunded, etc.

Pardon me for the following question, but since I do not like to make assumptions about people's viewpoints, how do you feel about the following scenario:

Patient presents with horrible stomach pain. They are diagnosed eventually with gastric cancer, but they just cannot afford the treatment...would you still treat them? Or would you leave it to the Free Clinics which are notoriously underfunded, understaffed, and low quality.

You have no idea how anything works. Maybe stop into any academic/university hospital and see who they're treating. Lots of no-pay cases getting good care.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think that those who are in low income families should be sent to those free clinics tho? Aren't they usually understaffed, underfunded, etc.
Low income people have multiple options: Medicaid, FQHC, free clinic, or even plenty of low paying jobs offer insurance.

Low income people have multiple options: Medicaid, FQHC, free clinic, or even plenty of low paying jobs offer insurance.

Thank you very much for not judging me, or coming to irrational conclusions about my beliefs. I appreciate all of your detailed responses, and I have learned a lot. Cheers!!

You have no idea how anything works. Maybe stop into any academic/university hospital and see who they're treating. Lots of no-pay cases getting good care.

Rural areas such as the one I live in do not have the University options such as this mentioned here. ERs have a federal directive under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) to screen and stabilize patients to determine if the problem is a medical emergency, regardless of their ability to pay. But it has to be deemed a medical emergency in order to get treatment free. Worth noting, the free clinic where I am from has a waiting list of 3 months.

Rural areas such as the one I live in do not have the University options such as this mentioned here. ERs have a federal directive under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) to screen and stabilize patients to determine if the problem is a medical emergency, regardless of their ability to pay. But it has to be deemed a medical emergency in order to get treatment free. Worth noting, the free clinic where I am from has a waiting list of 3 months.

Good thing people don't abuse the hell out of the ED for nonemergent complaints.

Reactions: 3 users