What are YOUR exact chances? and other statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the graph, having a low MCAT means you fail as an Asian.

:(
Yes, I believe that is a correct conclusion ;)
disappointed-asian-father.jpg

tiger-mom-meme-yale.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but I'm just wondering why certain races have advantages over others? That is, why can an African American with a lower GPA and MCAT scores have better chances for acceptance than a white person with a higher GPA and MCAT scores? (not trying to start any drama, just honestly wondering why!) :)

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but I'm just wondering why certain races have advantages over others? That is, why can an African American with a lower GPA and MCAT scores have better chances for acceptance than a white person with a higher GPA and MCAT scores? (not trying to start any drama, just honestly wondering why!) :)

The idea is that it's more likely that URMs will practice in under-served populations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the chances of getting into UNC School of Medicine?

Chances for applicants who self-identify as Black or African American

Figure 8 (click on graph for higher resolution)

The chances do rise above 100% on this graph, but that's just because I prefer the smooth marked scatter graph in Excel.

Must be nice

Cross-posted because more relevant here:

Given these data for overall admission rates (http://i55.tinypic.com/v4o2om.jpg) , it seems to me that the oft-cited LizzyM score heavily underweights the GPA component of the score.

Example: compare a 3.3/36 applicant with a 3.8/31 applicant (LizzyM scores of 69). Both should have equal chances of overall admission, yet the 3.8/31 applicant has a ~77% chance while the 3.3/36 applicant has only a ~59% chance of admission. I'll allow that it could be that a 3.8 GPA correlates with other good applicant attributes (e.g., more academic engagement, fewer red flags), and this accounts for the difference.

Nevertheless, given a 31 MCAT to start, let's see how many MCAT points would be required to make up a 0.2 pt GPA deficit going down the scale:

3.9/31 = 82% = 3.7/35 (+4)
3.8/31 = 77% = 3.6/36 (+5)
3.7/31 = 72% = 3.5/36 (+5)
3.6/31 = 64% = 3.4/35.5 (+4.5)
3.5/31 = 56% = 3.3/35 (+4)
3.4/31 = 48% = 3.2/34.5 (+3.5)

There's an interesting upward bend in mid-range, but it looks like 4 MCAT points roughly equals 0.2 GPA points in this quadrant of the graph. To track that data, the GPA weighting should be roughly doubled. That is:

LizzyM* = GPA*20 + MCAT

This 0.1:2 relationship seems to hold up well for a 0.1 pt GPA deficit as well (e.g., 3.8/31 = 3.7/33 and 3.6/31 = 3.5/33). For a 0.3 GPA deficit, though, you'd need more than 6 extra pts on your MCAT (e.g., 3.8/31 = 3.5/39)

Its time like this I wish I was black or latina....or both lol I would just have to show up to the MCAT i think and i would be good.

Man, being South Asian and have crappy grades sucks. I mean I'm not even cool on sdn lol :p.

Cross-posted because more relevant here:

Given these data for overall admission rates (http://i55.tinypic.com/v4o2om.jpg) , it seems to me that the oft-cited LizzyM score heavily underweights the GPA component of the score.

Example: compare a 3.3/36 applicant with a 3.8/31 applicant (LizzyM scores of 69). Both should have equal chances of overall admission, yet the 3.8/31 applicant has a ~77% chance while the 3.3/36 applicant has only a ~59% chance of admission. I'll allow that it could be that a 3.8 GPA correlates with other good applicant attributes (e.g., more academic engagement, fewer red flags), and this accounts for the difference.

Nevertheless, given a 31 MCAT to start, let's see how many MCAT points would be required to make up a 0.2 pt GPA deficit going down the scale:

3.9/31 = 82% = 3.7/35 (+4)
3.8/31 = 77% = 3.6/36 (+5)
3.7/31 = 72% = 3.5/36 (+5)
3.6/31 = 64% = 3.4/35.5 (+4.5)
3.5/31 = 56% = 3.3/35 (+4)
3.4/31 = 48% = 3.2/34.5 (+3.5)

There's an interesting upward bend in mid-range, but it looks like 4 MCAT points roughly equals 0.2 GPA points in this quadrant of the graph. To track that data, the GPA weighting should be roughly doubled. That is:

LizzyM* = GPA*20 + MCAT

This 0.1:2 relationship seems to hold up well for a 0.1 pt GPA deficit as well (e.g., 3.8/31 = 3.7/33 and 3.6/31 = 3.5/33). For a 0.3 GPA deficit, though, you'd need more than 6 extra pts on your MCAT (e.g., 3.8/31 = 3.5/39)

Man, I don't know about anyone else, but I thought this was good work man. Good investigative reporting :thumbup: I buy it. Perhaps it would have to be demonstrated for more scores, but I'm already inclined to believe you.

Intuitively it kind of makes sense as well. The difference between a 3.8 student and a 3.7 students seems greater than just the difference between a 33 MCAT and 34 MCAT.

I have posted a bit on this forum and just found this thread, this is a long post, so here's a quick summary of my circumstances.

I took the MCAT, 24(what I was told to get) and was denied re-admission because I didnt take a 300-micro pre-reg, even though I met with the Dean of Readmission 2 semesters before I reapplied and made sure I had crossed all my Ts and dotted my Is(gave her schedule+transcrits)
2 weeks before my 3rd interview(panel not one on one) she told me I was missing that class and would explain to the council I didn't know I had to take it, but assured me it wouldnt matter
**** that ****
my current plan is to I'm going to take that class, do better on the MCAT(even though I got the score they said to get)

In the panel interview the ER doc asked me wtf is up with the M in writing?
I said, I was told it didnt matter,..
"oh, so you can't write or talk?
did you read my application?(my application was a thing of brilliance. I had woven together 5 years I did surgeries, therapy, all kinds of **** to restore my physical functions into a short awesome 2 paragraphs.

She obviously didnt read it, as my med school phyis teacher told me how MDs think they dont need to pre-read, they can diagnose you without a applicant history

What she meant by, "you can't talk." is because I dont breath when I talk real well,, it's no longer automatic, so I have to breath and speak,,,sorta dysarthria,...being nervous as hell with 9 MDs/PHds, I lost my focus to breath and I came out drunk sounding.

They were all asking me stuff and looking at around the room in a daze or their watches.
My anatomy teacher was READING MY APPLICATION next to me
I told him "sorry, no pictures"
Ive known him since I started the school in 97
It's a long story, not edited well, but what are my chances if they dont take me in next year? Can I apply somewhere else?
Because I was in medical school when I did my undergrad class, I gotta **** ton of Cs, but I've now completed all the usual premed crap,, cept for that 300 class,.which is offered next Fall, ONLY

Im 33 now, but when I was graduating high school I had gotten into a 6 yr MD/BA program. So, no premed classes and no MCATS! Yes, I worked my ass off in high school/during the summers, but I was on the road to a MD at 24.

Half way through medical school, I was a passenger in a jeep that rolled. The indian DD drove some of us home in his jeep had gone around a curve too fast, rolling the jeep.
Ejecting a passenger(who was fine) and leaving the drive and me in comas.

He had his Frontal lobe(mostly) injury and me with my mostly Brain stem injury.
I had to be on a mattress that was able to regulate my temperature,
ventilator, GI tube for about 3-4 weeks.

My friends, fraternity, medical school, all showed me great support,
candle light vigil, the whole nine yards(so I was told) I ended up
being transferred to Barnes Hospital in st louis, then to St Johns
Mercy Coma stimulation program, where I started waking up.

I moved back to school and lived with friends ~7months after waking up.
Since then I've gone back to med school but had to leave 2x due to requiring myectomies making the muscles equal in strength.
I have a brainstem injury, so I have problems breathing while I talk, a sort of dysarthria, and a spastic gait. A catch-22 has been healing, I have continued to regain phyisical abilities as time passes, but this means I never get used to how I am and I always have hope that I'll be what I was before the coma.
This is what finally led me to leave medical school. When else would I have time to attempt to increase my quality of life so much?
After a few years of pure therapy, going around to different places for therapy, buying a Neurotherapy machine and a hyperbaric chamber, I wanted to get back to doing something I can brag about and not just spinning my wheels to slowly make gains, if at all.

My medical school had told me to return, I must apply to their 4 year program, which means I need to do all the pre-reqs I had worked hard to avoid and take the MCAT which I had also had circumvented by getting into the 6 yrd MD/BA program.

So, now I've done the prereqs and now I am going to take the MCATs on 3-24-12

It really sucks ass; I have no friends, as my old "friends" are all MDs and throughout the country, everyone has kids, families, careers, someone special in their lives, while I am trying to just get into medical school.

I've gotten to do a ton of rehab to work on my speech, how I walk, I still can't run properly or jump at all. I wear prism glasses when I get tired and my eye muscles can't compensate for being weak and the world goes double.

I never made any friends in the pre-reqs, because I am disabled and talk/walk differently , so it was hard to get kids, 19-21 to talk to me much plus I had no desire to go and "party". As I did the classes I had avoided before, at the same time I was also doing rehab; remember thats why I left medical school. So, I didnt have time for the few friends/acquaintances I had made. I have a couple of ex-gfs,(none who are in college, or college educated, but its odd to talk to married chicks,...yeah, now they're married and were really just me degrading myself to even associate with them, but I had/have lost most self-esteem. Telling chicks, "oh I was in a coma and I spent years working on walking again, not that you can tell!" doesnt get you laid...often

So I live alone now and I study and workout, still trying to walk correctly, as I can, but I want to walk correctly without thinking, "heel/toe" and I want to talk correctly, still, without having to think about using words that arent multisyllabic so I won't stutter/slur and I can discretely breath to finish my thoughts without sounding like "Stevie" off Malcom in the Middle.

Ive done a lot of stuff to make friends, bring some degree of happiness into my life; irrelevant to list them.

One of the worst parts of all this, besides the obvious downgrade in life, or losing my 20s, the prime of life, etc it's the change in how I'm viewed by others. In [SIZE=-1] the world that judges all of us so harshly that doesn't look for inner beauty, without inspection, I have gone from the far right of the Bell-curve to the middle/left as I get judged on how I walk and talk. Hope is also a bad thing. Had I never had hope to get substantial improvement, I would have never left medical school.
But I did and if I want to go back to medical school, I need a good score on the MCATs.

[/SIZE]I'm near the start of SN2ed's 4-month program and [SIZE=-1]so I'm gonna kick ass, but that doesnt mean I wont think about the meaning of life, a variance of that, or just break down and hate everyone/everything from time to time; it just means I can only do that crap on my break days.[/SIZE]

Please start a new thread if you would like individual feedback
"individual feedback". as opposed to group feedback??
eHombre and everyone else listed their stats and received individual feedback.
I'm missing what you are wanting, because your words/desires dont seem logical.
but what the muck do I know, I've got a muckin' brain injury:D

"individual feedback". as opposed to group feedback??
eHombre and everyone else listed their stats and received individual feedback.
I'm missing what you are wanting, because your words/desires dont seem logical.
but what the muck do I know, I've got a muckin' brain injury:D
eHombre posted about medical school stats which is relevant to this thread. You posted about your application. Please start a new thread in "What are my chances?" giving your story and asking for feedback

Awesome thread! If only there was a way to quantify EC's. Then there would be no more need for WAMC threads.

This is good stuff. Thanks for taking time to do this

I am both hispanic and asian (Colombian and Filipino). Is it okay if i just list myself as hispanic and not mention my asian ethnicity?

I am both hispanic and asian (Colombian and Filipino). Is it okay if i just list myself as hispanic and not mention my asian ethnicity?
I don't know if there is a conclusive answer to your question. I will say that you can pick multiple races and ethnicities. Whether you want to is a different story. Do applicants who are half-URM only get half of the benefits? I'd like to think not, but I simply don't know.

Do you look half-Asian, half-Hispanic, or do you look fully Hispanic? Keep in mind that eventually (hopefully) you will be meeting interviewers who have read your application. Some secondaries also ask for a photo

Status
Not open for further replies.