WAMC for MD TX resident 3.78 cGPA and 505 MCAT (retake) and any other schools to add to list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manutdhtx123

Reaction score
i have a 3.78 cGPA (should be 3.8 by end of this semester) and 3.6sGPA and 505 (126/126/126/127) MCAT retake (first try 503)
I am a TX resident
ORM (Asian)
I also intend on submitting my app the ASAP for TMDSAS and AMCAS

Clinical exp:
-scribe (aug 2020-may 2022)
-clinic volunteer (6 months)

nonclinical exp:
-U.S citizenship exam teacher (feb 2020 till present)
-video editor for hearing loss campaign (march 2020 till present)

Research:
-RA since aug 2021 for most recent lab and RA for previous lab from oct 2019 to july 2020

leadership:
-head of exam creation for tutoring organization (for 1 year)
-historian for school org that teaches elementary students science (aug 2019 to march 2020)

My MD school list are the IS TX schools and for OOS I have:
-central michigan
-marshall university
-university of Kentucky
-university of louisville
-university of south dakota
-university of north dakota
-university of missouri-kansas
-tulane
-northeast ohio
-oakland university william beaumont
-university of south carolina

my do school list is only the TX schools but which more should i add?
-TCOM
-SHSU-COM
-UIWSOM

What do you think my chances are for MD if i submit my app ASAP and what additions should I make to my MD and DO list?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your actual completed hours for your activities? Many of the schools you listed take few out of state students, and the majority of MD schools do not consider Texas students as they have historically stayed in-state.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your actual completed hours for your activities? Many of the schools you listed take few out of state students, and the majority of MD schools do not consider Texas students as they have historically stayed in-state.
Scribe: 1224 hours
clinic volunteer: 192 hours
citizenship exam teacher: 24 hours
video editor for hearing loss campaign: 768 hours
RA for most recent lab: 160 hours
RA for previous lab: 173 hours

I was not sure about what percentage to have OOS accepting students OOS (i did around 20%). Any changes I should make to my MD school list and any to add to DO school list? Also what do you think my general chances for MD would be if applying as soon as submission opens?

Members don't see this ad :)
clinic volunteer: 192 hours
citizenship exam teacher: 24 hours
video editor for hearing loss campaign: 768 hours

I was not sure about what percentage to have OOS accepting students OOS (i did around 20%). Any changes I should make to my MD school list and any to add to DO school list? Also what do you think my general chances for MD would be if applying as soon as submission opens?
Your lack of non-clinical volunteering to the underserved could limit your chances for interviews. Being a video editor does not get you face to face with those who are unlike yourself.

You cannot go by OOS percentage as many of those probably admitted students who grew up in those states and then left later on. And those OOS students are typically not from Texas either even for schools who are OOS friendly.

Apply to TMDAS schools, UIWSOM, Tulane and TCU.

For other DO schools, add:

NYIT-AR
ACOM
VCOM
PCOM (all campuses)
KCOM
WCU
Marian
LECOM
KCU

About 32% of applicants with a similar GPA and MCAT matriculated to a Texas MD school.

Your lack of non-clinical volunteering to the underserved could limit your chances for interviews. Being a video editor does not get you face to face with those who are unlike yourself.

You cannot go by OOS percentage as many of those probably admitted students who grew up in those states and then left later on. And those OOS students are typically not from Texas either even for schools who are OOS friendly.

Apply to TMDAS schools, UIWSOM, Tulane and TCU.

For other DO schools, add:

NYIT-AR
ACOM
VCOM
PCOM (all campuses)
KCOM
WCU
Marian
LECOM
KCU

About 32% of applicants with a similar GPA and MCAT matriculated to a Texas MD school.
so my science teach to elementary students was in underprivileged schools in the houston area and i feel like me teaching a citizenship class to immigrants could give me some compelling stories. Do you know a method for me to check the OOS student distribution for OOS schools

so my science teach to elementary students was in underprivileged schools in the houston area and i feel like me teaching a citizenship class to immigrants could give me some compelling stories. Do you know a method for me to check the OOS student distribution for OOS schools
Teaching/tutoring is a seperate category. And you didn’t even mention science teaching.

You only have 24 hours with citizen classes. Even if you counted that you are a couple of hundred hours short for nonclinical volunteering. This should be focused on the unserved/underserved in your community.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that most OOS MD schools really don’t consider Texas applicants . After years of experience they know if accepted to a Texas school the applicant will most likely attend the Texas school. The OOS schools have to use their resources(interviews , acceptances) wisely and not waste them on applicants that probably won’t attend the school. Those OOS schools that do interview Texas applicants are looking for superstars. If you have a particular and compelling reason for applying to a couple of those schools , that’s fine. Just make it clear you are a serious applicant who would most likely attend if accepted, even with a Texas acceptance.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
The MSAR is your friend (for OOS stats).

Why do you have so many hours as a video editor??
I have MSAR, but it only mentions how many students accepted OOS and if a school gives priority to certain people OOS or certain states

So I added the time working on the projects and any time in the meetings with other people involved with the campaign

I have MSAR, but it only mentions how many students accepted OOS and if a school gives priority to certain people OOS or certain states

So I added the time working on the projects and any time in the meetings with other people involved with the campaign
Do not apply to OOS MD schools except maybe Tulane. Your 505 MCAT is likely less than the 10th percentile for any OOS MD school that takes a significant number of out of state applicants. And they will prefer a non-TX resident who better fits their missions.

Teaching/tutoring is a seperate category. And you didn’t even mention science teaching.

You only have 24 hours with citizen classes. Even if you counted that you are a couple of hundred hours short for nonclinical volunteering. This should be focused on the unserved/underserved in your community.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that most OOS MD schools really don’t consider Texas applicants . After years of experience they know if accepted to a Texas school the applicant will most likely attend the Texas school. The OOS schools have to use their resources(interviews , acceptances) wisely and not waste them on applicants that probably won’t attend the school. Those OOS schools that do interview Texas applicants are looking for superstars. If you have a particular and compelling reason for applying to a couple of those schools , that’s fine. Just make it clear you are a serious applicant who would most likely attend if accepted, even with a Texas acceptance.
I see what you are saying about the OOS MD schools.

I assume I should add the amount of hours I dedicated to creating presentations and lectures for citizenship teaching class. Sorry i forgot to mention that i was the historian and a teacher for the science class teaching organization. The total hours i would have so far is 60 for my citizenship class (added with projected hours of teaching this semester would be 120) and my science elementary teaching i cant list the hours since it will be under leadership. My video editing experience i was around people who suffered from hearing loss and basically helped them convey their story via videos

I am only referring to MD list

i have a 3.8 cGPA and 3.65-3.68 sGPA and 505 (126/126/126/127) MCAT retake (first try 503)
I am a TX resident
ORM (Asian)
I also intend on submitting my app ASAP for AMCAS

Hours:
shadow: 40 hours
clinic volunteer: 150 hours
U.S citizenship exam teacher: 72 hours
video editor for hearing loss campaign: 850 hours
science tutor for elementary students: 160 hours
head of mock exam creating department and tutor for SAT/ACT: 240 hours

This is the school list. What should I add or remove?:
Wright State
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush
Albany
Nova MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State,
Central Michigan
University of South Carolina-Colombia
Oakland University Beaumont
TCU
Tulane
New York Medical College
Geisinger Commonwealth
Loma Linda
Quinnipac
Georgetown
Hackensack

I am only referring to MD list

i have a 3.8 cGPA and 3.65-3.68 sGPA and 505 (126/126/126/127) MCAT retake (first try 503)
I am a TX resident
ORM (Asian)
I also intend on submitting my app ASAP for AMCAS

Hours:
shadow: 40 hours
clinic volunteer: 150 hours
U.S citizenship exam teacher: 72 hours
video editor for hearing loss campaign: 850 hours
science tutor for elementary students: 160 hours
head of mock exam creating department and tutor for SAT/ACT: 240 hours

This is the school list. What should I add or remove?:
Wright State
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush
Albany
Nova MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State,
Central Michigan
University of South Carolina-Colombia
Oakland University Beaumont
TCU
Tulane
New York Medical College
Geisinger Commonwealth
Loma Linda
Quinnipac
Georgetown
Hackensack
I'm not sure about the other schools, but Wright St tends to be pretty unfriendly to out of state applicants.

OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants (unless high stats, URM or ties to the school or state) since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. You could try these AMCAS schools:
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Hackensack
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Apply to DO schools also and I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
OSU-COM