What are you going to buy with your first real Doc paycheck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
that just sounds awful and vain and something no American would do with money
So if you are in shape and wear nice clothes and shoes - that makes women vain? I'd hate to hear your opinion on swimsuits.

Members don't see this ad.

Funny thing is, girls wear what they think makes them look good (shoes, clothes), not for the primary approval of you and your friends.
There's plenty of data that says just that: women dress for other women, not for men.

Very few men recognize the significance of the red soles or the names Choo, Blahnik, Weitzman et al

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So if you are in shape and wear nice clothes and shoes - that makes women vain? I'd hate to hear your opinion on swimsuits.

Don't get me started. Swimsuits are of the devil. Cover it up. No one wants to see your six pack and sexy body.
I think he was being facetious.
Sometimes my sarcasm isn't detectable.
61468033.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
There's plenty of data that says just that: women dress for other women, not for men.

Very few men recognize the significance of the red soles or the names Choo, Blahnik, Weitzman et al
Yes, so true. I stopped bringing my bf along when shopping for me, bc he "liked" every single outfit/shoe I tried on, some of which were clearly ugly colors, but I wanted to see what he would say.

Men liking what I wear is more a side perk, like a 2 birds with one stone thing, but it doesn't mean much vs. when a woman says it looks nice.

Reactions: 1 user
Atlantis is cheeseballs extraordinaire. My parents dragged us all there a few years ago. Snooze. Did not like

My wife will kill you if you say that. Really? you thought it was boring? What were you expecting or wishing it had? (assuming you wanted to go)

Yes, so true. I stopped bringing my bf along when shopping for me, bc he "liked" every single outfit/shoe I tried on, some of which were clearly ugly colors, but I wanted to see what he would say.
Men liking what I wear is more a side perk, like a 2 birds with one stone thing, but it doesn't mean much vs. when a woman says it looks nice.
If you're sexy as hell, you can be wearing Payless pleather and no heterosexual man will care. And if you don't deplete the bank accounts with stupid $1000 shoes, I'll buy you the big show stopper jewelry that makes your gold digger wanna be, pseudo friends gasp.

Reactions: 4 users
If you're sexy as hell, you can be wearing Payless pleather and no heterosexual man will care. And if you don't deplete the bank accounts with stupid $1000 shoes, I'll buy you the big show stopper jewelry that makes your gold digger wanna be, pseudo friends gasp.

Is that indian friend of yours still single? :p

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My wife will kill you if you say that. Really? you thought it was boring? What were you expecting or wishing it had? (assuming you wanted to go)
It's bougie and kids running around all over the place.

Seriously, if you're spending that kind of money you can get FAR more luxury, relaxation and views elsewhere. For $15k you should be looking at the Maldives or Bora Bora, not Atlantis.

I could say the same about buying a $5000 bed, which is also stupid.

I dunno, you spend 1/3 of your life sleeping so shouldn't you have a nice bed? $5000 is hardly outrageous for a bed. I'm looking to replace my Cal King and they're pricey even for non luxury brands (I want a real bed not these ****ty foam mattresses my friends claim are so wonderful).

Reactions: 7 users
Do people really wear these stuff without being constantly in pain?
Yes, you definitely can. Problem is some women who can't accept their real shoe size and go for a smaller size.

I dunno, you spend 1/3 of your life sleeping so shouldn't you have a nice bed? $5000 is hardly outrageous for a bed. I'm looking to replace my Cal King and they're pricey even for non luxury brands (I want a real bed not these ****ty foam mattresses my friends claim are so wonderful).
But does it really feel that different? I've never slept on a Temperpedic or Sleep Number bed.

The lawyer next door to my parents (owns his own firm) had to pay a total of 500k in taxes (federal and state) for making 900k this last year. You make more you give more. We are moving in that direction as a country whether you like it or not.

You have to live in California or NYC for the at to happen. Stop calling taxation "giving"; it is indistinguishable from theft.

I swear, it seems like half of SDN threads degrade to a discussion about women's shoes at some point, like some sick and twisted form of Godwin's Law. Can we get back to fantasizing about the good life before I finish my frozen dinner?

Reactions: 14 users
I swear, it seems like half of SDN threads degrade to a discussion about women's shoes at some point, like some sick and twisted form of Godwin's Law. Can we get back to fantasizing about the good life before I finish my frozen dinner?
The thread is on what you would buy with your first doc paycheck - you can buy anything. What would you buy?

The truth is we don't pay enough in taxes both federal and state. There are companies that operate here who pay nothing in federal income tax. The other party just tried to repeal the estate tax which has been in place for over a hundred years and affects only 5,500 families in the top 0.2% - so pretty much not most doctors. That's fine, but then don't complain about your student loans when those med school costs are passed on to you. I think Democrats should increase taxes on everyone - but mainly at the state level so it can help everyone in that state.

The government is the most wasteful, incompetent and dishonest entity on earth. More taxes for what? More innocent people killed in wars? More people in jail for victim-less crimes? More bailouts to big companies and subsidies? More gifts to foreign countries? More MRAPS for local law enforcement? More NSA spying? More welfare for bums who don't want to work? The government gets nearly $3.0 trillion dollars a year in taxes already. Taxes shouldn't go up. Spending needs to go down, big time. No more wars, no more foreign military bases, no more subsidies to business, no welfare for able bodied people and no more failed war on drugs. Let people opt of medicare and social security.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I will pay off a portion of my debt and send the rest to the government assuming we will all be in the top 2% (who are going to drown under a full blown democratic government) we will be taxed up our ***es by the time we are "making bank". Meanwhile the baker next door to me will be raking in half as much money as income and paying 90% less in taxes to the government so we will both end up affording the same lifestyle.

The unsuccessful idiots who support big government to solve whatever infantile problem they imagine have no idea how much money certain working people pay in taxes. If you make more than $300,000.00 in California, NYC or in a number of places, half your income is going to the idiots in government who want to waste it. I know lots of people who have moved to the UAE, Oman, Qatar, Hong Kong, Saudia Arabia, etc. to avoid having to funnel money to the idiots in government. If you can, convert as much of your income to capital gains as possible.

The unsuccessful idiots who support big government to solve whatever infantile problem they imagine have no idea how much money certain working people pay in taxes. If you make more than $300,000.00 in California, NYC or in a number of places, half your income is going to the idiots in government who want to waste it. I know lots of people who have moved to the UAE, Oman, Qatar, Hong Kong, Saudia Arabia, etc. to avoid having to funnel money to the idiots in government. If you can, convert as much of your income to capital gains as possible.
You are cursing this thread for the lounge-

stop-posting-yell.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

We'll call it the "FancyMyScapula" Law

Reactions: 7 users
Depends on the state. The for 2015 people in the highest tax bracket will pay 39.6% in federal income tax. California's highest bracket pays 13.3%, totaling 52.9%. The only other state above 50% is Hawaii (11% for highest state), however there are many states where the highest earners pay over 45%. Most places in Canada actually have lower tax rates than that for the highest earners. It's one of the myths about U.S./Canadian taxes that Canada has a much higher tax rate than the U.S.

Few doctors make more than $406,000 (single) or $457,000 (married) to pay into the 39.6% tax bracket. Even fewer doctors make significantly more than $500,000 so if their income does make them qualify for the 39.6% bracket than very little of their income will actually be taxed at 39.6%. California's 13.3% bracket does not kick in until the income is greater than $1,000,000, which few doctors make. I would assume that most doctors pay an effective federal tax rate of around 30% (probably a little lower) and in California you can add around 9.5% for state income taxes.

• Dislike
I'd start making larger payments to get rid of my student loans debt as quickly as I can. Or maybe blow it all in Vegas. Whichever.

Alright, I'll go back in time: on July 1, 1989, I got the keys to my apartment and slept in a sleeping bag on the carpet. August 1, paid four months of child support (divorce was final on April 29, 1989), bought a bed and bathroom stuff. In September, threw a huge birthday party for my now three year-old daughter, bought four new tires for my 1968 Mustang; October, bought new cowboy boots and jeans, outfitted my kitchen; bought a bunch of brisket and fixins' for the tailgate when we went to Dallas for the Texas - Oklahoma football game; November, bought some new clothes, a new couch and a television set; December, bunch of Christmas gifts and a ski trip to Durango, Colorado for me and my two brothers.

Reactions: 6 users
It's bougie and kids running around all over the place.

Seriously, if you're spending that kind of money you can get FAR more luxury, relaxation and views elsewhere. For $15k you should be looking at the Maldives or Bora Bora, not Atlantis.

Seychelles = Heaven with a beach

Don't be hatin' on my bed!!!

But does it really feel that different? I've never slept on a Temperpedic or Sleep Number bed.

But seriously, if you're someone who struggles to get decent sleep, then it does. I slept on a really 'nice' bed for about a week on vacation. Never in my semi-adult life to now have I gotten a solid 8 hours of sleep 7 days in a row and actual woke up feeling refreshed. I get that feeling maybe once or twice a month, but most of the time I wake up at least once in the night and still feel either tired or groggy when I wake up. The right bed can make a MASSIVE difference (though it doesn't necessarily need to cost 5k).

Few doctors make more than $406,000 (single) or $457,000 (married) to pay into the 39.6% tax bracket. Even fewer doctors make significantly more than $500,000 so if their income does make them qualify for the 39.6% bracket than very little of their income will actually be taxed at 39.6%. California's 13.3% bracket does not kick in until the income is greater than $1,000,000, which few doctors make. I would assume that most doctors pay an effective federal tax rate of around 30% (probably a little lower) and in California you can add around 9.5% for state income taxes.

I was talking in general, not specifically for docs, but I'll bite. If you make over 190k/year you'll be in the 33% federal bracket (most docs will fall into that bracket). In Hawaii, if you make over 200k, then you pay 11%, so even making just 200k there you'd be paying at least 60k or so to the gov in taxes (44%). On top of that, in most states you're not going to be paying less than 7% in taxes on a doc's salary, so most physicians will likely pay at least 40% in total taxes. Keep in mind that's not including social security (6.2%) or medicare (1.45%) which adds another 7.65% total. Even in your situation, add that in to the 42.5% California physicians pay and you'll be right back around 50%. If someone somehow manages to make that million in Cali they'd be paying over 60%.

But seriously, if you're someone who struggles to get decent sleep, then it does. I slept on a really 'nice' bed for about a week on vacation. Never in my semi-adult life to now have I gotten a solid 8 hours of sleep 7 days in a row and actual woke up feeling refreshed. I get that feeling maybe once or twice a month, but most of the time I wake up at least once in the night and still feel either tired or groggy when I wake up. The right bed can make a MASSIVE difference (though it doesn't necessarily need to cost 5k).

I was talking in general, not specifically for docs, but I'll bite. If you make over 190k/year you'll be in the 33% federal bracket (most docs will fall into that bracket). In Hawaii, if you make over 200k, then you pay 11%, so even making just 200k there you'd be paying at least 60k or so to the gov in taxes (44%). On top of that, in most states you're not going to be paying less than 7% in taxes on a doc's salary, so most physicians will likely pay at least 40% in total taxes. Keep in mind that's not including social security (6.2%) or medicare (1.45%) which adds another 7.65% total. Even in your situation, add that in to the 42.5% California physicians pay and you'll be right back around 50%. If someone somehow manages to make that million in Cali they'd be paying over 60%.

Do you know what effective tax rates are? Or tax deductions for that matter?

In the U.S. People only pay payroll taxes on the first $110,000 of income so not all of a doctors salary will be subjected to the 6.2% and 1.45% employee share for Medicare and social security. Also, since the U.S. has a progressive taxation system docs will only be paying 33% of their income on amounts over $186,000. Likewise, docs are not going to pay 11% on their entire income. I am not saying taxes are low or high, but calculating the percentage of income owed to the government is not as simple as looking at the income tax bracket for a specific income and multiplying this value by the amount earned.

Reactions: 3 users
1996 996 twin turbo Porsche. Not immediately. But it's there along with buying the first legal r33 skyline gtr. Tip: I will murder you if you try and screw me over on that skyline. Not really murder. But I'll hate you.

remember when student loans were subsidized before 2013- I hate being born.

• Haha
1996 996 twin turbo Porsche. Not immediately. But it's there along with buying the first legal r33 skyline gtr. Tip: I will murder you if you try and screw me over on that skyline. Not really murder. But I'll hate you.
Why would u want a Porsche from 1996?

Therapy...gonna buy me a good therapist, I'll prob need one when I finish this process.

Nothing. You are better off living as a fellow for a couple of months if you can stand it. Of my last year, 37% of my money went to taxes (Fed, state, social security, Medicare) ~15% went to paying for the condo I purchased, and ~30% went into savings/401k/buying investment rentals. I blew the rest of the money

Reactions: 3 users
I tests drove an E63 AMG 4matic wagon today. Impressive.
Probably not a first paycheck vehicle, but it depends on the paycheck.

I love you. That is probably one of the absolute best car choices you can make. Unfortunately, Audi doesn't bring their high end wagons into the US anymore. But, you should get it.

I have an unhealthy obsession with fast german sport wagons and once I'm done with training hope to import some of the euro only models.

Old car:
IMG_5661_zps60b5ae13.jpg

Dream Cars:
6118361452_6d9ce7d8a0_b.jpg

2012-06-09%2011_44_38.jpg