What are we doing to prepare for increasing anti-psychiatry sentiment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LimpSpatula

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I briefly mentioned this in another post, but I believe it deserves it’s own thread.

1. Mistrust in instituions is the current Zeitgeist held by both party systems.

2. We have had the spotlight on our own misgivings throughout history. See our largest political body’s apology January of this year for an example.

3. Novel interventional therapeutics have limited efficacy, are increasing lucrative, and because of the latter are being utilized at an increasing rate.

4. We have no prominent presence on social media. The other side however...just wait until Brittney starts giving interviews.

Right now we’re having an issue getting vaccines in people. I can see the writing on the way. I see the increasing salaries and demand (at least at this juncture) as a negative for the field as a whole. Perhaps I am paranoid and have too much time on my hand, but I wanted to hear some other thoughts on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We should listen to them, be empathetic to their grievances, and pay closer attention to our own failures as an institution while also not discounting or forgetting the benefit we are providing for our patients. It's in our best interest as a society to endorse healthy criticism in our field and improve our practices as a result.

Reactions: 11 users
What you are talking about has nothing to do with anti-psychiatry and is more about a general distrust of authority and medicine as a whole. Anti-psychiatry was a movement that really came from within psychiatry itself (the term was coined by the marxist psychiatrist David Cooper) and that took hold during the 60s and 70s at a time when there was increasing suspicion and distrust of authority and concerns about the mistreatment and abuse of institutionalized persons. That was something that was being directed towards psychiatry in a way we didn't see against other specialties, and many of the fallacious arguments against psychiatry were based on an idealization of "real medicine" as distinct from psychiatry which was regarded as wrongly applying a medical model to problems of living. As I and others have argued, the problem is the medical model, whether applied to "medical" problems or "psychiatric". The rise of the anti-vaxxers and the politicization of COVID is quite reassuring to me that it is not just psychiatry which gets singled out for criticism.

As someone with anti-psychiatry leanings myself, I am not concerned about an increased antipsychiatry sentiment. I am more concerned about the distinct lack of anti-psychiatry sentiment. We are witnessing the use of psychiatry in the next phase of late capitalism. Previously, american psychiatry was used in order to manage subjectivity and obfuscate the wider causes of mass misery from the structure of American Society writ large, deflected to a problem with the person (whether due intrapsychical conflicts, twisted molecules, or damaged cognitive sets), and consumerism as the remedy. Today, psychiatry is the product. Psychiatry and mental health are big business. The industry has been co-opted by forces beyond pharma who now seek to offer on demand mental health services through tech and utilize information about our mental states to market all manner of products. While psychiatrists may not have as much of a social media presence, we are constantly bombarded with ads for new apps and start ups providing mental health services including ketamine assisted therapies, and young Tik Tok influencers are spreading epidemics of ADHD, autism, borderline PD, DID and hysteria. I have previously argued this next phase of psychiatry's role in the politics of neoliberalism and the market place began in 2015, when Tom Insel was recruited from the NIH to Google. Since that time VC has put in a lot of money into mental health into the Tech Space. Part of it is about getting data about subjectivity and mental states that can be used to market products as a balm for our misery.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
american psychiatry was used in order to manage subjectivity and obfuscate the wider causes of mass misery from the structure of American Society writ large, deflected to a problem with the person
Agreed, this is still a problem. Whenever there is a mass shooting most journalists write about the lack of mental health care for individuals being the issue. Or they go on about wedge issues like gun control rather than put the blame on dysfunctional American culture.
influencers are spreading epidemics of ADHD, autism, borderline PD, DID and hysteria.
The number of people coming into my clinic declaring they have autism because of social media when they really have social anxiety is ever increasing. The pathologization of the individual due to a cultural lack of social support and meaningful relationships has spread among all ages thanks to social media.

I'm not too worried about what Britney Spears says, though. First, she is not the superstar she was, and won't say anything that hasn't already been said. Social media influencers on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok, Reddit, and so on have more impact now, generally adding to chaos, providing a mix of misinformation as well as genuine knowledge every minute. Secondly, I won't be surprised if she has mixed things to say about her mental health care. I see that a lot in similar age people treated for Bipolar. Third, her conservator situation was quite bizarre and not the experience of most people who lack a potential income stream to be exploited. I'm sure some people in their angst will continue to identify with Spears, but if it wasn't her they would grasp for someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Agree. Concerns should probably be in the other direction. For example, many of the threads here are about the incredibly low standard of care and/or quality of care of psychiatry in the community, totally wacky medication regimens from psych NP and MD alike, and how to make as much money as humanly possible in practice, usually via volume that is compacted as possible and/or stringing along stable patients instead of discharging them.

The psychiatricazing of bad behaviors, the over application of psychiatry, and the overprovision of psychiatry services itself is something that I think is just as problematic. Working in the Medicaid managed care sphere, it’s easy to recognize that many times the last thing that these people need is psychiatry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Agree. Concerns should probably be in the other direction. For example, many of the threads here are about the incredibly low standard of care and/or quality of care of psychiatry in the community, totally wacky medication regimens from psych NP and MD alike, and how to make as much money as humanly possible in practice, usually via volume that is compacted as possible and/or stringing along stable patients instead of discharging them.
I can't speak to the rest, but to the bolded I think a large factor is the increasing need to justify the ballooning debt of medical school. As a non-traditional student I'll be almost 40 when I finish training and have 320k in debt (before interest) graduating from a mid-ranked MD school in the midwest. You sure can bet I'm paying attention to those threads on income because I will have a lot of ground to make up compared to my buddy who's been working cybersecurity at Microsoft since he was 23.

Reactions: 5 users
Obviously the answer is to provide compassionate, evidence based care, but
I have previously argued this next phase of psychiatry's role in the politics of neoliberalism and the market place began in 2015, when Tom Insel was recruited from the NIH to Google. Since that time VC has put in a lot of money into mental health into the Tech Space. Part of it is about getting data about subjectivity and mental states that can be used to market products as a balm for our misery.
Thank you for the thoughtful response. I agree with everything you've stated so eloquently. The above is terrifying considering the likelihood of it being weaponized, if it isn't already.

I don't think Britney Spears is going to lead to a backlash against psychiatry. This was a bizarre legal case and her father was cast in the media as the villain. I don't even know the names of any psychiatrists who were involved, if there were any. Quite honestly, this is a golden age for psychiatry. Our limited social media presence might actually be a boon.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah so I agree, I don't see this "backlash" against psychiatry. If anything, as noted above, I see this heading in the other direction. There are some good quotes here but this is my favorite so far:

The pathologization of the individual due to a cultural lack of social support and meaningful relationships has spread among all ages thanks to social media.

Our popularity continues to boom as stigma eases. It's in vogue now to reassure people that you're getting treatment for your anxiety disorder, similar to the way that everyone who was anyone on the east coast was in psychoanalysis. Nobody cares about the relative efficacy of Lexapro vs Prozac vs Wellbutrin. Nobody cares about studies or lack thereof for IV ketamine. People just want "something" done. Our medical model continues to be heavily reimbursed and skewed towards "doing" something rather than "not doing" something (reactive vs preventative). The real problem is, as noted above, somehow thinking that Celexa in more pockets is going to solve widespread societal problems.

Vast amount of money in the US healthcare system gets distributed to treatments that have questionable/limited efficacy. See the whole Aduhelm debacle earlier this year (and still ongoing). In terms of QALYs, psychiatry actually doesn't do too bad when you look at all the money spent on crazy expensive interventions at end of life for questionable payoff or even various types of surgeries (ex. spine surgery).

Nobody cares about studies or lack thereof for IV ketamine. People just want "something" done. Our medical model continues to be heavily reimbursed and skewed towards "doing" something rather than "not doing" something (reactive vs preventative). The real problem is, as noted above, somehow thinking that Celexa in more pockets is going to solve widespread societal problems.

Politician's logic: something must be done, this is something, therefore it must be done.

While I don't reject the criticism that psychiatry was at one point a major means of social control and at this point is a consumerist prop, at the end of the day as an outpatient private practice psychiatrist I think I occupy a role for many people much closer to a shaman/houngan/strega/grannywoman/take your pick would or does in a more supernaturally oriented society. Someone apart from the community (or at least the patient's community) who has access to a body of arcane and highly specific knowledge that one goes to for the addressing a variety of ills and ailments. There are incantations and medicaments and rituals I recommend that people perform in a particular way and expect a particular result. Praxis very important and it's easy to not do it right, in fact if it failed there's a good chance because how you did the thing I told you to do wasn't quite right.

There's also some evidence-based medical practice in there as well. Never said it wasn't a weird hybrid. For some people various different medications actually seem to have really significant and durable effects on their quality of life, and often there the medical model fits pretty well.

I'll be more worried about backlash against psychiatry when the average person's first thought when in distress is to go see their priest about it. I don't see that becoming more common in the near future.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll be more worried about backlash against psychiatry when the average person's first thought when in distress is to go see their priest about it. I don't see that becoming more common in the near future.
I actually encourage people who have a faith to attend their place of worship and get to know their religious leadership, if so inclined. Religious leaders certainly aren't perfect, but neither am I. In the area I practice places of worship are a major social place that offers a lot of support for many of my patients. I cannot replace an entire community. Many of my patients lack a community, religious or otherwise, and it worsens their health in so many ways.

Reactions: 4 users
There's also some evidence-based medical practice in there as well. Never said it wasn't a weird hybrid. For some people various different medications actually seem to have really significant and durable effects on their quality of life, and often there the medical model fits pretty well.

I feel like most of my work is this. That said, I do a lot of suboxone, so there's that. But I also do a lot of psychotherapy: I *only* do evidence-based psychotherapy and try to follow manuals closely. In particular, I also have LOTS of personality disordered patients I do therapy on, and invariably it's schema-focused CBT, which is the best evidence-based psychotherapy for this group.

This doesn't feel shamanistic to me.

If you do what I do, which part of your daily work do you feel is more shamanistic? The care navigator role? Or the family meetings?

I don't find that most of my meds operate significantly less effectively vis-a-vis the evidence. If anything antidepressants seem to work better than I expect a lot, probably because of the combined therapy component.

I feel like most of my work is this. That said, I do a lot of suboxone, so there's that. But I also do a lot of psychotherapy: I *only* do evidence-based psychotherapy and try to follow manuals closely. In particular, I also have LOTS of personality disordered patients I do therapy on, and invariably it's schema-focused CBT, which is the best evidence-based psychotherapy for this group.

If you do what I do, which part of your daily work do you feel is more shamanistic? The care navigator role? Or the family meetings?

I don't find that most of my meds operate significantly less effectively vis-a-vis the evidence. If anything antidepressants seem to work better than I expect a lot, probably because of the combined therapy component.
My perspective is whatever you are doing for the patient that isn't meds or these evidence based therapy strategies, probably has shamanistic vibes.

This phenomenon isn't limited to psychiatry, either. There's no shame in it. It's human.

Members don't see this ad :)

The times I'm a shaman are when treating hysteria and effectively utilizing placebo responses/suggestive cures. I used to have resistance to this earlier in my career because of my attitude about paternalism. However, it's amazing to see people respond so strongly to hope and confidence from their treater. It's a fine balance, though, ethically. Here's an old blog post that gets at the idea:

With some people, their changing relies so much on their beliefs about what is wrong and what will work for them. They have preconceived notions which they may or may not be aware of regarding CBT or particular medications, often influenced by external forces.

The art in working with hysteria (e.g., borderline, somatization, dissociation, conversion, factitious, functional cognitive, etc) has been greatly helped by examining the writings in hypnotherapy, particularly Milton Erickson.

Reactions: 1 users
The times I'm a shaman are when treating hysteria and effectively utilizing placebo responses/suggestive cures. I used to have resistance to this earlier in my career because of my attitude about paternalism. However, it's amazing to see people respond so strongly to hope and confidence from their treater. It's a fine balance, though, ethically. Here's an old blog post that gets at the idea:

With some people, their changing relies so much on their beliefs about what is wrong and what will work for them. They have preconceived notions which they may or may not be aware of regarding CBT or particular medications, often influenced by external forces.

The art in working with hysteria (e.g., borderline, somatization, dissociation, conversion, factitious, functional cognitive, etc) has been greatly helped by examining the writings in hypnotherapy, particularly Milton Erickson.

Still, this is far from being a shaman. Things like EMDR and psychodynamic psychotherapy for "hysteria" have a solid scientific basis.

For patients who lack insight and motivation, things like MI have very solid scientific evidence.

The system of treatment delivery for psychotherapy, if done correctly, is still largely predicated on fairly standard clinical trial data.

There are therapeutic modalities that are less backed up by evidence, but unless you think that evidence isn't NECESSARY for the application thereof in a teleological way, this to me is just like off-label prescribing. The foundation of the specialty is scientific in nature. Placebo effect is also similar in that way. Frankly, placebo effect is the most scientific, given all the trials including a placebo arm which gives you very precise estimates of placebo effects, and this largely conforms to my clinical experience as well--i.e. for severe and chronic conditions, placebo effects are lower.

Still, this is far from being a shaman. Things like EMDR and psychodynamic psychotherapy for "hysteria" have a solid scientific basis.

Good discussion so far, I think this is actually turning into a valuable thread. Just so we are talking about the same things, what does it mean for you for something to be similar to what a shaman or more traditional medicine man/soothsayer type role does on the regular? Sure, I have never once told a patient that their problem is soul loss or needs to be solved by my journeying to the underworld but the people I have known who absolutely would talk about things in those terms and offer to make the journey on their behalf often end up having interactions with people that look an awful lot like a psychiatry appointment without the meds.

I don't dispute the role of randomized controlled evidence or that we may have hit upon a significantly more effective technology for doing it, but I think in large part we often end up helping folks with the same sorts of problems and that a lot of our methods work in non-specific ways that heavily depend on helping people re-frame their difficulties in a more useful way or cultivate a different attitude/relationship with their own experiences. I also

For patients who lack insight and motivation, things like MI have very solid scientific evidence.

The system of treatment delivery for psychotherapy, if done correctly, is still largely predicated on fairly standard clinical trial data.

There are therapeutic modalities that are less backed up by evidence, but unless you think that evidence isn't NECESSARY for the application thereof in a teleological way, this to me is just like off-label prescribing.

I think I don't understand the sense of "necessary" you mean here. Of course you should change your priors based on empirical evidence and in many circumstances RTC-type evidence will change your priors the most, but I don't think this is always true in principle. In practice one is even more likely to make clinical interventions whose effectiveness for the patient in front of you is strictu sensu not demonstrated in randomized and controlled studies. More evidence is good and should inform your practices but actual clinical practice is woefully underdetermined by what is available.

The foundation of the specialty is scientific in nature. Placebo effect is also similar in that way. Frankly, placebo effect is the most scientific, given all the trials including a placebo arm which gives you very precise estimates of placebo effects, and this largely conforms to my clinical experience as well--i.e. for severe and chronic conditions, placebo effects are lower.

I think we are getting into territory where "scientific" is getting dangerously close to a value judgment-type label or shorthand for a certain culture of generating knowledge rather than being meaningful if we describe placebo as "the most scientific."

Answering your previous questions, I agree with you that I am often surprised by effectiveness of antidepressants. I think what I was getting at more was that for some people it seems very clear that they start taking something and actually their life just generally improves and becomes more manageable and they are not terribly inclined to look the gift horse in the mouth. Other folks you perhaps eke out some marginal gains but are still not really in a state of human flourishing, and there you can't escape the necessity of deeper and more contingent understanding less predicated on symptomatology.

Reactions: 4 users
Some of the issues in psychiatry are a result of a failed political policies that ultimately cause distress, and when the distress is caused and someone looks towards for resources they realize sadly that they are quite limited because the funding isnt there.

The people that are anti psychiatry are likely anti medicine (maybe not all, but a vast majority), these are the same people that believe Bill Gates is using the covid vaccine to implant tracker chips. I don't think there is a treatment for this, because their beliefs aren't rooted in logic or common sense, just fear and the desire to be a part of some large, great conspiracy that gives their life meaning. Education usually has little to no effect, often it just further influences their thought process that "its all a cover up" or something else ridiculous. Medicine is often saving people from themselves (especially in our field), and I think that statement fully applies to that subset of people.

There are huge issues/cracks in the "system" that are so detrimental to our field. I do not know what we can. Perhaps we need a psychiatrist to become president. That would be interesting. Or at least psychiatrists that become politicians. Perhaps im a little biased, but we tend to have more real world experience than other areas of medicine.

so we are talking about the same things, what does it mean for you for something to be similar to what a shaman or more traditional medicine man/soothsayer type role does on the regular? Sure, I have never once told a patient that their problem is soul loss or needs to be solved by my journeying to the underworld but the people I have known who absolutely would talk about things in those terms and offer to make the journey on their behalf often end up having interactions with people that look an awful lot like a psychiatry appointment without the meds.

Shaman or traditional medicine relies on non-scientific revelation, narratology, and other spiritual and anthropological phenomena as a method for healing. There are branches of western medicine (i.e. complementary and alternative, holistic medicine, etc) whereby it's explicitly aiming to model after traditional therapeutics. Psychiatry, as it stands, is not one of these branches, and in practice is moving away from that. There's a lot of interest in psychedelics right now, for example, but while the experimental practice of using psychedelics draws from what we know from shaman narratives, the evidence is obtained from very classical clinical development pipelines.

I also think the market is totally different and you don't capture good value if you think of yourself as comparable to a shaman. The most profitable things in medicine are expensive, technologically driven things that aim toward a well-reimbursed demographic. Think elective surgery. Think IVF. There's nothing shamanistic about these practices--EVEN THOUGH many aspects of the practices have a degree of "underdeterminism" (in your words) to them. I would argue that most profitable psychiatry practices are much more similar to IVF practices than a Tarot reader. There's also nothing mysterious about any of this: good manual-driven therapy with high fidelity and good medication management practices have high retainment. Inefficient, ineffective and wishy-washy unprincipled practice (common in NPs, etc) confuses patients and decreases retainment.

I think we are getting into territory where "scientific" is getting dangerously close to a value judgment-type label or shorthand for a certain culture of generating knowledge rather than being meaningful if we describe placebo as "the most scientific."

But that's what science is. Science is a specific kind of process ("culture") where a specific type of knowledge is generated. It's not a value judgment. Placebo effects are real, observable scientific findings (sometimes). Practicing medicine predicated on known scientific evidence is evidence-based practice. Why would practicing based on evidence on placebo be not evidence-based? I.e. if I know that a particular agent is more similar to placebo and the relative risks vs. benefits favor the use of a placebo-like agent vs. another agent, perhaps I would suggest that agent as the first-line treatment.

I would never suggest placebo-like agents for patients with opioid use disorder, or even severe chronic depression, for example. The fact that there is an indication specificity is based on scientific evidence. If I was a shaman I'd say here is a potion, it cures all.

Last edited:
Shaman or traditional medicine relies on non-scientific revelation, narratology, and other spiritual and anthropological phenomena as a method for healing. There are branches of western medicine (i.e. complementary and alternative, holistic medicine, etc) whereby it's explicitly aiming to model after traditional therapeutics. Psychiatry, as it stands, is not one of these branches, and in practice is moving away from that. There's a lot of interest in psychedelics right now, for example, but while the experimental practice of using psychedelics draws from what we know from shaman narratives, the evidence is obtained from very classical clinical development pipelines.

I also think the market is totally different and you don't capture good value if you think of yourself as comparable to a shaman. The most profitable things in medicine are expensive, technologically driven things that aim toward a well-reimbursed demographic. Think elective surgery. Think IVF. There's nothing shamanistic about these practices--EVEN THOUGH many aspects of the practices have a degree of "underdeterminism" (in your words) to them.
I like your posts analysing the market dynamics of our field and find them incredibly useful. I think you are perhaps conflating what is incentivized by economic structures with customary or typical practice. Strictly speaking whether or not it is profitable is irrelevant to whether or not something is solidly within the medical model and doesn't really enter into the argument.

I would argue that most profitable psychiatry practices are much more similar to IVF practices than a Tarot reader.
That's fine, but I think refusing to engage with typical psychiatric practice as it is actually performed and insisting on limiting your analysis simply to high-end boutique places is question-begging. That is, if you focus only on the sector that tries hardest to look like the rest of medicine of course when you look at it it looks more or less like medicine.

There's also nothing mysterious about any of this: good manual-driven therapy with high fidelity and good medication management practices have high retainment. Inefficient, ineffective and wishy-washy unprincipled practice (common in NPs, etc) confuses patients and decreases retainment.

It's interesting that psychotherapy research in general has been moving away from the idea of highly specific protocols that are unique to particular disorders in favor of identifying suites of interventions that target areas of difficulty and processes of change transdiagnostically (Cf Amazon product ). Similarly, although the common factors literature makes claims it often can't entirely support, there is a reasonable amount of data now suggesting that protocol fidelity per se is usually not the most important factor in predicting good treatment outcomes in therapy. What does emerge from the literature is that having a coherent model of change that you can articulate to the patient and get buy-in for is extremely important and definitely explains your astute observation that a lack of this decreases retainment, but note this doesn't really separate us from traditional healers either.

This belies the idea that psychotherapy is increasingly based on a highly specific, technical treatments that can be specified in some way based on caseness rather than taking into account an awful lot of contingent details about a person's history, temperament, circumstances etc.

But that's what science is. Science is a specific kind of process ("culture") where a specific type of knowledge is generated. It's not a value judgment. Placebo effects are real, observable scientific findings (sometimes). Practicing medicine predicated on known scientific evidence is evidence-based practice. Why would practicing based on evidence on placebo be not evidence-based? I.e. if I know that a particular agent is more similar to placebo and the relative risks vs. benefits favor the use of a placebo-like agent vs. another agent, perhaps I would suggest that agent as the first-line treatment.

I think you'll find I never said harnessing placebo effects couldn't be evidence-based. Right now the placebo literature is underspecified with respect to how to actually utilize placebos in real-world clinical contexts to greatest effect but in principle I can imagine that being uncovered at some point.

I am a bit confused about the thrust of your argument, though. Are you saying that literally anything in principle amenable to empirical study is scientific? That only makes it seem more like scientific is being stretched into a semantically weak/empty label. What would not count as scientific in this view?

Evidence-based medicine in some ways has been argued to be anti-scientific by some philosophers of medicine, in the sense that it is strictly empiricist. That is to say, evidence-based medicine says follow the data, no matter what. In the EBM paradigm, if data contradicts theory, so much the worse for theory. You don't need to understand why, just need to know the observed what. Science (at least in anything like a positivist or Hempelian understanding) is about theory making predictions confirmed or disconfirmed by data, or at least conforming to postdictions.

I would never suggest placebo-like agents for patients with opioid use disorder, or even severe chronic depression, for example. The fact that there is an indication specificity is based on scientific evidence. If I was a shaman I'd say here is a potion, it cures all.
You may underestimate the specificity of what shamanic work actually looks like based on the nature of the complaints. I agree with you however that there are some illnesses we treat that fit tolerably well into the medical model, or at least as well as the sorts of disorders that are bread and butter in other cognitive specialities.

Good discussion.

I also do a lot of psychotherapy: I *only* do evidence-based psychotherapy and try to follow manuals closely.
good manual-driven therapy with high fidelity and good medication management practices have high retainment.
Hm, and here I thought you were a psychodynamicist. Coming over to the dark side??

clausewitz2 said:
Right now the placebo literature is underspecified with respect to how to actually utilize placebos in real-world clinical contexts to greatest effect

I ran across this recently and found it very helpful. Both as guidance for minimizing placebo effects in the setting of a clinical trial, and for maximizing them in clinical practice.

clausewitz2 said:
Similarly, although the common factors literature makes claims it often can't entirely support, there is a reasonable amount of data now suggesting that protocol fidelity per se is usually not the most important factor in predicting good treatment outcomes in therapy. What does emerge from the literature is that having a coherent model of change that you can articulate to the patient and get buy-in for is extremely important and definitely explains your astute observation that a lack of this decreases retainment, but note this doesn't really separate us from traditional healers either.

I completely agree with this; yet at the same time, non-protocolized therapies seem generally to lack the coherent, articulable model of change, plan for behavioral implementation, and explicit elicitation of patient buy-in that are key ingredients for behavior change. So while it isn't the fact of being manualized that is helpful (and it does open evidence-based treatments to these straw-man accusations of rote, slavish, one-size-fits-all applications of standardized methods), I think the fact of having some kind of protocol is practically a prerequisite for developing the functional underpinnings of behavior change.

Conversely, while I admit no special knowledge of shamanistic practices, I imagine that they mostly do have an articulable model of change, plan for behavioral implementation, and elicitation of patient buy-in. ("Shake these herbs at the sun god daily at dawn and he will heal your abscess; but you must do it correctly or he will be disappointed and it won't work.") In that sense we may well have things to learn from the shamans of the world.

Hm, and here I thought you were a psychodynamicist. Coming over to the dark side??
I've been doing a lot of brief dynamic (6mth).

Also TFP has a manual and that's dynamic.

MI has a manual, which I follow fairly consistently.

My bread and butter tho is still schema-focused CBT and follow manual pretty closely... Not quite using schema cards yet but getting there. Used all the manual-driven techniques. This has been working remarkably well for several long-term patients. Progress is very uneven tho, and has this punctuated quality. But I had several fairly severe BPD patients (parapsychosis, chronic suicidality) brought down to more or less remission with this being the only treatment (no outside therapist, no DBT groups, etc), and tapering all psych meds, saving a small dose of fluoxetine here and there. Timeline is also very long but conforms to clinical trial data (1-2 years for 50% reduction of symptoms).

I find it hard to explicitly following the dynamic frame with even high functioning patients as they often demand action plan quickly once the insight is revealed. Patient engagement is better when I talk more, not sure why. People definitely fight me more when I take more dynamic stance, and I'm not good with holding that conflict. I think if I liked dynamic more I'd need more supervision to hold that. Sometimes I do say "let's say if I throw a hypothesis out there [with development] and that's why you feel [ ]" but I'm more comfortable saying "let's be radically honest and I will tell you what I really think is going on..." My patients tend to respond to latter way better.

I like to reread E Fuller Torrey's Witchdoctors and Psychiatrists every few years. If you're a psychiatrist in LA, you prescribe meds and use evidence based therapies, and if you're an Inuit shaman, you wrestle with the bear spirit.

How does one learn this power? Er, I mean, what do you all recommend as good reading material for schema focused CBT?

• Haha