What Are Some Low-tier Med Schools In The Northeast And Mid Atlantic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
THANKS EVERYONE

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by theDr.
THANKS EVERYONE

A more important question, if I am reading your intent correctly, is what are your in-state public schools.

Well, im from CT, so I only have one state school and they are still pretty picky. So i was wondering about other private schools who are not are difficult...or...to put it a better way...who will overlook a 25 mcat for a 3.9, awesome extra currics..etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah...it depends where you are from....make sure you apply to your state schools.

Originally posted by theDr.
Well, im from CT, so I only have one state school and they are still pretty picky. So i was wondering about other private schools who are not are difficult...or...to put it a better way...who will overlook a 25 mcat for a 3.9, awesome extra currics..etc.

I hate to be the one to say this, but a 25 is probably not going to sit well with adcoms. Most people consider 30 to be the minimal MCAT for acceptance. Have you considered retaking the MCAT? Good luck to you in any case.

i don't know if i agree with Gleevac that a 30 is minimun necessary, but I do agree that a 25 will be difficult to ignore, not impossible to ignore, but difficult.

i really don't know what schools u mean, but I assume NYMC, Albany, Temple, Drexler (sp?) are what you mean, no offense to these schools, i just think their averages might be a little lower than those of other schools in the area

be sure u address the reason for getting a 25 in ur AMCAS essay

agreed. . .drexel/nymc/temple are good options

30 is definitely not the minimal amount required at Temple. That said, those accepted under 30 will probably have 27-28, not 25. I imagine the same goes for the other schools like NYMC, Albany, Drexel. Now I'm sure a 25 is *possible*, but it's a much harder road and at best you'd probably be waitlisted.

Honestly, I'd try to retake the MCAT in April - then you'll be able to submit early in the next cycle. If you even raise your score two points and apply early along with the 3.9, you'd have a much more decent shot at one of these schools.

btw, was your GPA from a "known" college? Usually that's not a critical factor, but it could be important in this case. If not, the MCAT could take away from the credibility of the 3.9...unfortunate but true.

It was not from an "unknown" school. Also, i started my MPH this year..if my gpa in the MPH is not a 3.9..but like a 3.5 or something like that, think it will hurt my record...or will the look more at im getting a graduate degree? thanks. I would have taken the test again in august but i simply could not.

I have 2 interviews too. when i get to the interview portion, are they only looking at how I perform at the interview but will they consider the mcat again? thanks.

Originally posted by rCubed
i don't know if i agree with Gleevac that a 30 is minimun necessary, but I do agree that a 25 will be difficult to ignore, not impossible to ignore, but difficult.

i really don't know what schools u mean, but I assume NYMC, Albany, Temple, Drexler (sp?) are what you mean, no offense to these schools, i just think their averages might be a little lower than those of other schools in the area

I went on MDapplicants.com. The schools you listed NYMC, Albany, Temple and drexel aren't so easy to get accepted into.

Originally posted by borg
I went on MDapplicants.com. The schools you listed NYMC, Albany, Temple and drexel aren't so easy to get accepted into.

don't rely on MDapplicants.com as your source. as many have said before, the numbers are a bit scewed upwards, and not very representative of all who are accepted. find a copy of this year's MSAR; it's a more reliable source.

from USNews.com's America's Best Graduate Schools 2004:

Drexel University
Fall 2002 Admissions Statistics

GPA
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.42

MCAT
Overall score (composite): 9.8
Verbal reasoning: 9.3
Physical sciences: 10
Biological: 10.2
Writing: P

on MDapplicants.com

Drexel University
Interviewed, Accepted (~MCAT 32.1, ~GPA 3.52)

just thought i'd share. :) Back to work! :whip crack!:

generation 2 - could you post those stats for the ohter schools on the list like temple, etc.

Albany Medical College
"Fall 2002 Admissions Statistics
GPA
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.5

MCAT
Overall score (composite): 9.7
Verbal reasoning: 9.3
Physical sciences: 9.8
Biological: 10.1
Writing: P "

New York Medical College
"Fall 2002 Admissions Statistics

GPA
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.5

MCAT
Overall score (composite): 9.9
Verbal reasoning: 9.1
Physical sciences: 10.3
Biological: 10.4
Writing: Q "

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/rankindex_brief.php

hope that helps.

Originally posted by rCubed

i really don't know what schools u mean, but I assume NYMC, Albany, Temple, Drexler (sp?) are what you mean, no offense to these schools, i just think their averages might be a little lower than those of other schools in the area.

From what generation2MD posted. It does look like NYMC, Albany, Temple and drexel are not so easy to get accepted into.

Originally posted by generation2MD?
don't rely on MDapplicants.com as your source. as many have said before, the numbers are a bit scewed upwards, and not very representative of all who are accepted. find a copy of this year's MSAR; it's a more reliable source.

I agree, I think MDapplicants.com is skewed because it is only the people that filled out their stats online. It doesn't include ALL applicants to those schools.

The schools web sites are a good place to look for average stats for the schools. And keep in mind those stats are averages only, which means there are lower stats than the average.

Interesting... THANK YOU!! this might be some interesting information about schools like this. Any info on Temple? What about some other schools of the same caliber?

Also the mdapplicants site would give you the ACCEPTED scores and GPAs, not the MATRICULATED ones, as given by USNews

Originally posted by Amy B
I agree, I think MDapplicants.com is skewed because it is only the people that filled out their stats online. It doesn't include ALL applicants to those schools.

The schools web sites are a good place to look for average stats for the schools. And keep in mind those stats are averages only, which means there are lower stats than the average.

you could try the university of vermont.
this is for next year, right? if so, i'd suggest retaking the mcat. i got into a couple of northeast schools (gtown & drexel) w/ a 27 mcat but would have retaken if i had the chance. once you get much lower than a 27 or 28, it becomes very difficult to gain admission unless you are an under-represented minority or have something really impressive on your application. even getting in with a 27 or 28 can be rather difficult...
if i were on an adcom i'd be a little suspicious of your mph 3.5 gpa. why so low? this is not to be mean, but it was fairly easy to get an A- in most classes at my public health school. maybe it is different at your school?
oh, i reread it and i guess this is for this year. you could also think about gw and jefferson. hurry up though! it is getting too late.