Mid/Low cGPA sGPA, post-grad plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koreancorndog02

Reaction score
I am planning to take a gap year after I graduate. I am unsure whether to work to just improve areas of my appliation (as well as finish with a strong upward trend GPA in undergrad and bust my ass for the mcat and get a good score), or apply for a SMP program at my hometown's medical school (relatively good linkage; i have a lot of ties to the area/medical environment). Any advice/recommendation considering my stats would be very appreciated!

cGPA and sGPA
- cGPA: 3.5 (looking to raise to 3.6 by end of undergrad)
- sGPA: 3.0 (looking to raise to 3.2 by end of undergrad)

MCAT
- taking in August 2024

State of Residence
- Virginia resident

Ethnicity and/or race
- Asian

Undergraduate Category
-T30 undergrad

Clinical Experience
- CNA at undergraduate health hospital system ~ 150 hours so far
- will be working through the summer and next school year

Research Experience
- 1 year in Nephrology Immunology Lab ~100 hours
- current: 0.5 years in a Breast Cancer Research Lab (will work through next school year until graduation)

Shadowing
- 50 total shadowing so far across Internal Medicine, Orthopedic Surgery, and Physiatry.
- plan to continue shadowing

Non-clinical volunteering
- TA/volunteer for elementary school students in underserved area in hometown (150 hours)
- student mentor at my university (50 hours)
- various volunteering opportunities for pre-med organization (20 hours)
- plan to do more volunteering in upcoming year (i am definitely on the lower end)

ECs
- University-wide Class Council Member (for the next school year)
- Leadership positions in Cultural Organization spanning 2 years
- chairperson of a regional cultural organization for 1 year
- member/1 yr leadership position of pre-medical fraternity

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a 3rd year student, entering 4th year, at a T30 school. Current 3.5 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA, if all goes well I will end college with a J gpa trend and a ~3.6 cGPA and ~3.2sGPA. Taking MCAT in Aug before my senior year (5 months from now) and have been studying hard (striving to destroy this test). I plan on taking a gap year and hopefully apply MD. I am having trouble deciding what my plan should be post-grad -- SMP at a medical school in my hometown to make up for low sGPA (has strong linkage) or continuing clinical experience/volunteering to boost those aspects of my app and not spend the money on SMP. I have strong leadership activities, organization involvement, research commitment (no pubs yet :,)), and decent volunteering. I feel I am on the border for deciding what to do and would appreciate any recommendation/ advice!!
Welcome to the forums.

It makes sense, but what is your activities profile (clinical/non-clinical/campus)? You need to have done this work too. Sorry that I can't take your word for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Please complete this grid and post in WAMC forum.

We have no idea what your activities are, if you have mission focus, etc.. the more info you provide,the better response you will get.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you show a very strong upward trend and an above average MCAT (shoot for 510+) I wouldn't waste time/money with an SMP program and instead focus on gaining significant clinical/volunteering experience, and crafting a strong application overall. This all hinges on securing a 4.0 for your final year and a high MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Seconded the above.

Re: your application — Your shadowing is fine as is and your clinical experience will be on track for success, but for non-clinical volunteering try to seek out opportunities in your community like food pantry, soup kitchen, job/tax prep, housing rehab, transport services, or shelter work, and accumulate 150 hours in these areas. I see you have some tutoring but tutoring isn't really direct service and it's the cliche premed "thing".

Reactions: 1 users
If you show a very strong upward trend and an above average MCAT (shoot for 510+) I wouldn't waste time/money with an SMP program and instead focus on gaining significant clinical/volunteering experience, and crafting a strong application overall. This all hinges on securing a 4.0 for your final year and a high MCAT.
Thank you for the advice! Because of things I had a rough first couple years but I am grinding to finish my undergrad strong!! I really appreciate the feedback

Seconded the above.

Re: your application — Your shadowing is fine as is and your clinical experience will be on track for success, but for non-clinical volunteering try to seek out opportunities in your community like food pantry, soup kitchen, job/tax prep, housing rehab, transport services, or shelter work, and accumulate 150 hours in these areas. I see you have some tutoring but tutoring isn't really direct service and it's the cliche premed "thing".
I definitely have been lacking for volunteering but these are really great sounding options thank you I will look into them!! Definitely going to try and get my volunteer hours up.

Could you talk to the postbac program director about your eligibility for their SMP (we need year-by-year GPA for a better idea)? It might be better to take the MCAT after establishing your academic credentials. The program may also have MCAT prep or they could require it for admission to their program; figure this out before you take the MCAT. It's much better to have the strongest possible MCAT as your only score when you apply so take the MCAT only if the SMP director tells you to.

I wouldn't begin postbac courses until I get the experience hours taken care of (more clinical, more service orientation activities off-campus and as described by @AJS59).