What are other Rad Onc residents doing about loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bragmt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see what other Rad Onc’ers are doing about their med school loans while they are residents? Are most people paying them back doing an income based repayment? Or just doing forbearance? Does anyone qualify for the NIH loan repayment as a resident? I have heard in the past that some groups or med centers help make student loan payments for new attendings? Is that true??? Any advice from the higher ups that follow this forum with a past history of student loans would be appreciated. If anyone knows if private groups or academic centers help to make loan payments I would really like to know, in that case it seems to be a waste to be trying to pay these suckers back during residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Forbearance, sadly.
Have not heard first hand of a RadOnc attending having their loans paid off by an institution.

I wanted to see what other Rad Onc’ers are doing about their med school loans while they are residents? Are most people paying them back doing an income based repayment? Or just doing forbearance? Does anyone qualify for the NIH loan repayment as a resident? I have heard in the past that some groups or med centers help make student loan payments for new attendings? Is that true??? Any advice from the higher ups that follow this forum with a past history of student loans would be appreciated. If anyone knows if private groups or academic centers help to make loan payments I would really like to know, in that case it seems to be a waste to be trying to pay these suckers back during residency.

I've only just matched, but after crunching the numbers for myself, I've decided to take advantage of the IBR and pay off the additional interest on the unsubsidized portion. So, I'll be paying $370/mo through IBR and an additional $450/mo toward interest, which is just enough to keep me even.

Members don't see this ad :)
When reading some of the job descriptions on the Astro Career Center they lists as benefits: 401k contributions, relocation expenses, and student loan assistance... Does anyone know what this means if a practice or group says that it offers student loan assistance? Specfically how much assistance do they offer? Thanks!

pray. ⏝⎝⏠⏝⏝⏠⎠⏝

I've only just matched, but after crunching the numbers for myself, I've decided to take advantage of the IBR and pay off the additional interest on the unsubsidized portion. So, I'll be paying $370/mo through IBR and an additional $450/mo toward interest, which is just enough to keep me even.

Unfortunately those of us who have opted to buy houses (and especially those of us with non-working spouses and kids) the budget is not going to stretch this far. For me the IBR will be closer to $200 and I will not likely be paying off anything extra.