What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcdoc107

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I totally screwed up my chances of getting into med school. My MCAT is a 27P. PS11, BS10, VR6. I don't know what the hell happened. I was scoring 9's and 10's on all of my practice tests. I guess waking up at 2:15am on the test day did not help much (nerves). What are my chances of getting in and where? Somebody, anybody, please help.

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT is just a standardized test. It's one small portion of your application, and you scored above the average.
Certainly no schools are going to be begging you to come to their program, but you do have a very good chance of being accepted. With some good ECs and LORs your score won't hinder you very much, if you don't apply to all top 10 schools.
You might research D.O. schools a little bit. If their philosophy appeals to you, that might be a great way to go. I have a couple of friends who are going to D.O. school and they love it, wouldn't rather be anywhere else. And it was much easier for them to get in.

With good ECs and LORs, you should be okay for your state school as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is some more info. about me.
1. 3.76 gpa, 4.0 junior year, 3.8 sophomore year, 3.0 freshman year
2. Microbiology major, A's in all upper division classes.
3. Lots of job shadowing experience (many 10-12 hour days with surgeons).
4. Good letter of recs. (I think), one from the surgeon who operated on me, thus influencing me to become a physician.
5. A 6 in verbal!

you're fine, esp at your state school

Not to worry! Here's my situation. I have a 27Q, 3.35 science GPA, outstanding EC's and work experience. So far, I have received 6 interviews from all allopathic schools. I'm still waiting on 11 more. Keep your hopes up!

I'm in the same boat (27R) so don't worry there are plenty of companions on this lost ship. But my question is, how will the schools look at the 6 in verbal (I got one too). Straight nines isnt too bad, but a 6 makes me look like a lab geek. Should we explain this in a seperate letter to the AdCom?