What are my chances...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dinah05

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I know this has been asked about a thousands of times, but what are my chances at a DO school? Any DO school?

I am a black female, 21 years old
Majored in neuroscience with a minor in french
2.7 undergrad cGPA at a top notch private school
Currently got into a MPH program where I'll most likely finish with a 3.9-4.0 gpa.
And I am also going to retake some undergraduate courses such as Biochem, Chem, and Orgo which I got C's and D's in....

I had 200 hours of shadowing
Around 300 hours of volunteering
And I am planning on getting more during my master's...
I also started studying for the MCAT this summer, and I plan on getting at least the 80th pecenrile

Any recommendations to further improve my chances?
What schools would probably fit me most?

Any advice, no matter how realistic, would be really helpful.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Being a black female helps but probably not enough to overcome a 2.7 uGPA.
What are your GPAs with the MPH factored in?

Is it realistic to get it above a 3.0?

Being a black female helps but probably not enough to overcome a 2.7 uGPA.
What are your GPAs with the MPH factored in?

Is it realistic to get it above a 3.0?

Unergrad sgpa is an all time low at 2.33 and cgpa is 2.7 as said above.
With my master's degree, which I WILL definetively do well in, I am most likely to get an overall grad and undergrad gpa of 2.95-3.02.

However, I will be retaking several of the intensive science courses to boost my science gpa, but even if I make A's in all of my retakes, my sgpa would still be low.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unergrad sgpa is an all time low at 2.33 and cgpa is 2.7 as said above.
With my master's degree, which I WILL definetively do well in, I am most likely to get an overall grad and undergrad gpa of 2.95-3.02.

However, I will be retaking several of the intensive science courses to boost my science gpa, but even if I make A's in all of my retakes, my sgpa would still be low.

Yeah...that science GPA needs some major repair. How can you repair that GPA? You can repair it by taking and getting A's in extra upper division biology courses at the undergraduate level until you GPAs are close to or at a 3.0.

Your MPH won't be as impactful since your undergrad GPAs are low.

How many total science credits you have at this point?
I have 60 science credit hours that counts towards my science gpa....I was also accepted into a post bac program. Although I love MPH, DO school is my goal. Should I just do the post bach program to increase my science gpa?

Thank you again

I did something similar to your situation where I took upper div science classes in my 2 yr MPH. I’ll be starting at a DO school in a few weeks. Def consider the post bacc but taking science classes in the MPH is doable- I know others that did the same and they’ll be starting at various schools like me in the fall. Feel free to PM me. Go Rock that MCAT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I did something similar to your situation where I took upper div science classes in my 2 yr MPH. I’ll be starting at a DO school in a few weeks. Def consider the post bacc but taking science classes in the MPH is doable- I know others that did the same and they’ll be starting at various schools like me in the fall. Feel free to PM me. Go Rock that MCAT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much!!! And I will definitely PM you. I was really considering giving up on my MPH as I was worried that taking upper div science would be unrealistic but this definetly made me fell much better! I really love MPH, and having both the MPH and DO completed in the next 6 years would be a dream come true to me.

Hello, I know this has been asked about a thousands of times, but what are my chances at a DO school? Any DO school?

Currently got into a MPH program where I'll most likely finish with a 3.9-4.0 gpa.
And I am also going to retake some undergraduate courses such as Biochem, Chem, and Orgo which I got C's and D's in....

I also started studying for the MCAT this summer, and I plan on getting at least the 80th pecenrile

Thank you
Hard to tell without an MCAT score. Off hand, chances best at the HBCs and with targeting DO schools broadly
Also read this:
Goro’s Guide Reinvention for Pre-Meds

That would be hard to bring that to 3.0

You will need at least 50 science credits with all As to make it 3.0 sGPA.

Thank you, and hopefully, even if several A- are mixed in (just in case, I'm being realistic), an upward trend would speak for me.

I was confident I would score at LEAST 90% percentile MCAT. I yawned my way through As in every single prereq...
We all plan on smoking the MCAT... the test is designed for that.
Im applying with my 73% percentile score :)

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you
I AM in the exact same boat as you!!! Although I am considering a postbacc program....can I Pm you please?

Chances are slightly shot with that uGPA - it'll never hit the 3.0 threshold
However, acing your MPH was big and gives you a chance I believe
Get a 502+ on MCAT and I think someone, somewhere will take you

Good luck!