Letter of Rec conflict of interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goilers

Yeet
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So,

I've shadowed a DO for a really good amount of hours on several basis, had great experiences, seen lots, and he'd be a great person to write a letter of rec for me, in addition to another MD who I plan on asking for this upcoming cycle. There's just one draw-back... He's my brother-in-law, married to my sister. We aren't super close personally, and don't even live in the same state or anything. He's allowed me to shadow him, and I truly have great experiences to speak about from working with him. I'm confident he will be able to speak to my skill as a prospective med student purely off of my extensive experience with him. I think a DO letter would be good for DO schools, even required maybe? He obviously has a different last name than me so I wanted to pose this question:

Is this a conflict of interest for him to write this letter for me, and is it rude of me to ask and put him in that situation, or is it acceptable?

Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

That would 100% be a conflict of interest. I read the guidelines for a few schools while applying, and most said "no family members." To submit a family member LOR would make a school wonder why you couldn't get a non-family person on board I'd imagine.

And if they followed up with the LOR writer... and they say they're actually your brother-in-law... then you're hosed.

Coming from someone *not* on an ADCOM, but this just seems like a bad idea

Reactions: 1 users
I feared as much, and I figured the fact I felt uneasy about it was reason enough not to, but I figured I'd double check.

One more reason to shadow a new DO though, so I guess it's not that bad haha. Thanks for your response @Medic741

Members don't see this ad :)
Similarly, I'm shadowing a doc that my sister (nurse) works with occasionally. Not really a conflict of interest I hope? She mostly just asked him if I could. I feel like that is using a connection not a conflict right?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I feared as much, and I figured the fact I felt uneasy about it was reason enough not to, but I figured I'd double check.

One more reason to shadow a new DO though, so I guess it's not that bad haha. Thanks for your response @Medic741
Glad you took it well -- bright side, you could even try out a new department now!

Reactions: 1 user
Similarly, I'm shadowing a doc that my sister (nurse) works with occasionally. Not really a conflict of interest I hope? She mostly just asked him if I could. I feel like that is using a connection not a conflict right?

That's not a conflict of interest. That's just finding an opportunity. Shadowing opportunities don't always come easy.

That's not a conflict of interest. That's just finding an opportunity. Shadowing opportunities don't always come easy.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking, the post just had me thinking. I've got to repeat to myself: I'm not neurotic, I'm not neurotic, I'm not neurotic....

Reactions: 1 user
The DO I shadowed was my grandmas doc. No problem there. Even brought it up in an interview (was accepted)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I suggest that you find another LOR writer...the risk of conflict of interest is too great.

So,

I've shadowed a DO for a really good amount of hours on several basis, had great experiences, seen lots, and he'd be a great person to write a letter of rec for me, in addition to another MD who I plan on asking for this upcoming cycle. There's just one draw-back... He's my brother-in-law, married to my sister. We aren't super close personally, and don't even live in the same state or anything. He's allowed me to shadow him, and I truly have great experiences to speak about from working with him. I'm confident he will be able to speak to my skill as a prospective med student purely off of my extensive experience with him. I think a DO letter would be good for DO schools, even required maybe? He obviously has a different last name than me so I wanted to pose this question:

Is this a conflict of interest for him to write this letter for me, and is it rude of me to ask and put him in that situation, or is it acceptable?

Thanks for your advice.

@Goro @gyngyn

Thanks for the responses!
I've already started searching for another DO to shadow and get a LOR. Get to see more now, so I'm not even upset haha.

Reactions: 1 users