What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pxllv95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.61 sGPA 3.45
  2. MCAT: First time I took it was Sept. 2017 got 495
  3. State of residence: Georgia
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Indian male
  5. Undergraduate institution: Georgia State University
  6. Shadowing/Volunteer: Currently volunteering at an Emergency Department every Sunday for 4 hours since Jan 2017, so about 200 hours.
    Shadowed a primary care physician for 4 months, about 100 hours
    Shadowed a Gastroenterologist for a month, about 30 hours.
    As a part of this undergraduate program, got to shadow different physicians throughout summer of 2017 including Pediatrics, a PA in a clinic that serves minority/homeless populations, dentistry, and internal medicine. Roughly 60 hours total here.
  7. Research experience and productivity: undergraduate research for 3 semesters so far, no publications but may be potential for that. Presented posters of my research in STEM conferences in my college.
  8. Other extracurricular activities: Member of my schools AMSA, and MSMD (Medical students making a difference) For about 2 years now. Through these clubs I've volunteered at food drives and Atlanta Heart Walk.
  9. Relevant honors or awards: CPR/BLS certified. President's List Fall 2017.

Hey guys, I am currently finishing my last semester as an undergraduate and hope to attend medical school. My biggest set back was taking the MCAT while not being 100% prepared and suffered the consequences of a low score. Do you guys think with a solid MCAT score (505+ is what I am aiming for), I have a chance? I am currently studying for it on the weekends, and plan on taking it this upcoming June or July as a reapplicant. Or would you suggest applying 2019 and making sure I am totally prepared for MCAT and that will give me time to get more shadowing and volunteering in. Would you also suggest applying DO as well? I live in Ga and would like to stay here so I am definitely applying to Mercer, Morehouse, MCG, but honestly, I will be happy anywhere that accepts me even way out of state. Perhaps you can give me a list of schools that I have a shot in based on my current credentials and future mcat score (lets just say I will make 505). I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Also, when I applied the first time with the low MCAT, I received secondaries from all of the schools that I applied for but was turned down for all of them, because of my mcat score most likely.

Members don't see this ad.

With your current MCAT of 495 your only chance for interviews would be some of the newer DO schools. Post your new MCAT score here when available and then it will be possible to give you a school list.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t even think of reapplying until you get your new MCAT score back. And don’t take the MCAT until you are consistently scoring at or above your target goal even if that means you wait to reapply until 2019! And yes apply to DO schools. With a greatly improved MCAT you probably have a better shot at DO than MD.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you've got a nice app outside of your MCAT. GPA is on the low side, but you weren't applying to Harvard anyways! I think if you KILL your MCAT (aim for 5-teens) you've got an outstanding shot at multiple DO interviews and I wouldn't rule out MD, either. If I were you I would seriously consider an MCAT course to buckle down and get it right this time. Expensive, yes. Worth it, yes. Also, do NOT sit for the MCAT again unless your practice scores are where they need to be; DO NOT compromise your next MCAT score for the sake of the "timeline" I'm sure you've set for yourself. Good luck! :clap:

1. cGPA: 3.61 sGPA 3.45
  2. MCAT: First time I took it was Sept. 2017 got 495
  3. State of residence: Georgia
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Indian male
  5. Undergraduate institution: Georgia State University
  6. Shadowing/Volunteer: Currently volunteering at an Emergency Department every Sunday for 4 hours since Jan 2017, so about 200 hours.
    Shadowed a primary care physician for 4 months, about 100 hours
    Shadowed a Gastroenterologist for a month, about 30 hours.
    As a part of this undergraduate program, got to shadow different physicians throughout summer of 2017 including Pediatrics, a PA in a clinic that serves minority/homeless populations, dentistry, and internal medicine. Roughly 60 hours total here.
  7. Research experience and productivity: undergraduate research for 3 semesters so far, no publications but may be potential for that. Presented posters of my research in STEM conferences in my college.
  8. Other extracurricular activities: Member of my schools AMSA, and MSMD (Medical students making a difference) For about 2 years now. Through these clubs I've volunteered at food drives and Atlanta Heart Walk.
  9. Relevant honors or awards: CPR/BLS certified. President's List Fall 2017.

Hey guys, I am currently finishing my last semester as an undergraduate and hope to attend medical school. My biggest set back was taking the MCAT while not being 100% prepared and suffered the consequences of a low score. Do you guys think with a solid MCAT score (505+ is what I am aiming for), I have a chance? I am currently studying for it on the weekends, and plan on taking it this upcoming June or July as a reapplicant. Or would you suggest applying 2019 and making sure I am totally prepared for MCAT and that will give me time to get more shadowing and volunteering in. Would you also suggest applying DO as well? I live in Ga and would like to stay here so I am definitely applying to Mercer, Morehouse, MCG, but honestly, I will be happy anywhere that accepts me even way out of state. Perhaps you can give me a list of schools that I have a shot in based on my current credentials and future mcat score (lets just say I will make 505). I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Also, when I applied the first time with the low MCAT, I received secondaries from all of the schools that I applied for but was turned down for all of them, because of my mcat score most likely.

OP, one of the better WAMC posts - structured correctly and good details

• cGPA: 3.61 sGPA 3.45
  • MCAT: First time I took it was Sept. 2017 got 495

Ethnicity and/or race: Indian male

plan on taking it this upcoming June or July as a reapplicant

For others, I just want to point out what a huge strategic mistake this was. A non-black or non-Hispanic applicant with these stats, even from the State of Georgia (a good state to be from, for medical school purposes), has absolutely no business applying, even when applying early. Seems like OP got the a DOA score of 495 in September of the same cycle and still applied anyway, in the same cycle.

I can't emphasize how bad of a strategic mistake this was. I had to reread those parts twice to make sure I was reading it correctly.

OP, do not take the MCAT under any circumstances until you at least score consistently in the 505 range on your practice runs.

Reactions: 2 users
Seems like OP got the a DOA score of 495 in September of the same cycle and still applied anyway, in the same cycle.

I can't emphasize how bad of a strategic mistake this was. I had to reread those parts twice to make sure I was reading it correctly.
Just saying, OP might have finished his primary application long before taking the MCAT, expecting a higher score. Yes, it was a huge mistake to apply with that MCAT score... but it might not have been intentional.

OP - Reapply to your state schools and apply broadly to DO programs. I would not apply to any MD outside of your state with a 505, combined with your low sGPA, unless you just have a bunch of extra money to burn. If you score 510+ and manage to pull up your sGPA some this semester, I'd say it may be safe to add low tier OOS privates.

I would also not wait until July to take the MCAT with your stats. I would say applying early is going to be very important for you, and if you take the MCAT in July, your application won't be complete until August. Take it in early June, at the latest, if you are going to apply this cycle - so you can be complete with your new MCAT score available and all secondaries turned in before the end of July.

Don’t even think of reapplying until you get your new MCAT score back. And don’t take the MCAT until you are consistently scoring at or above your target goal even if that means you wait to reapply until 2019! And yes apply to DO schools. With a greatly improved MCAT you probably have a better shot at DO than MD.
I understand, thanks for your advice!

I think you've got a nice app outside of your MCAT. GPA is on the low side, but you weren't applying to Harvard anyways! I think if you KILL your MCAT (aim for 5-teens) you've got an outstanding shot at multiple DO interviews and I wouldn't rule out MD, either. If I were you I would seriously consider an MCAT course to buckle down and get it right this time. Expensive, yes. Worth it, yes. Also, do NOT sit for the MCAT again unless your practice scores are where they need to be; DO NOT compromise your next MCAT score for the sake of the "timeline" I'm sure you've set for yourself. Good luck! :clap:
Thanks! I am currently in the Kaplan mcat prep online program it’s pretty helpful.

OP, one of the better WAMC posts - structured correctly and good details

For others, I just want to point out what a huge strategic mistake this was. A non-black or non-Hispanic applicant with these stats, even from the State of Georgia (a good state to be from, for medical school purposes), has absolutely no business applying, even when applying early. Seems like OP got the a DOA score of 495 in September of the same cycle and still applied anyway, in the same cycle.

OP, do not take the MCAT under any circumstances until you at least score consistently in the 505 range on your practice runs.
Ahh I see, I originally submitted my app in July and took the Mcat sept. But I understand, thanks for your advice I really appreciate it.

Just saying, OP might have finished his primary application long before taking the MCAT, expecting a higher score. Yes, it was a huge mistake to apply with that MCAT score... but it might not have been intentional.

OP - Reapply to your state schools and apply broadly to DO programs. I would not apply to any MD outside of your state with a 505, combined with your low sGPA, unless you just have a bunch of extra money to burn. If you score 510+ and manage to pull up your sGPA some this semester, I'd say it may be safe to add low tier OOS privates.

I would also not wait until July to take the MCAT with your stats. I would say applying early is going to be very important for you, and if you take the MCAT in July, your application won't be complete until August. Take it in early June, at the latest, if you are going to apply this cycle - so you can be complete with your new MCAT score available and all secondaries turned in before the end of July.
I understand I will definetly apply way earlier. Also would you mind telling me some low tier OOS schools?

I understand I will definetly apply way earlier. Also would you mind telling me some low tier OOS schools?
Sure - I'm literally just copying WedgeDawg's low tier school list here, but USF-Morsani, Wayne State, Creighton, Oakland, SLU, Cincinnati, Indiana, Miami, Iowa, MC Wisconsin, Toledo, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, VCU, Western MI, EVMS, Vermont, WVU, Wisconsin, Quinnipiac, Wake Forest, Maryland.