What are my chances with top 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeymike

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.3 science and 3.6 overall gpa but a 17 mcat. Do you guys think I have any shot with such a low mcat?

Currently am a research assistant in a hospital and I have good letters of rec and personal essay.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, that MCAT is going to raise some flags.

My opinion, which is not important since the adcoms make the decisions, is that AT BEST you will be offered Ross' MERP or SGU's FOM.

They are both one semester and give you entrance into the next semester's med school class if you complete the semester with the requisite marks/GPA.

the 17 is very low but SABA or AUC have been known to accept people with low MCAT and the GPA is certainly high enough.
You have to apply to find out

Members don't see this ad :)
the 17 is very low but SABA or AUC have been known to accept people with low MCAT and the GPA is certainly high enough.
You have to apply to find out

We are talking about a 17 here. Most people score a 17 with only two sections.

I have a 3.3 science and 3.6 overall gpa but a 17 mcat. Do you guys think I have any shot with such a low mcat?
Currently am a research assistant in a hospital and I have good letters of rec and personal essay.

I think you should peruse the SDN MCAT Forums. How many times have you taken the MCAT? Why not just take it again?

We are talking about a 17 here. Most people score a 17 with only two sections.
Yea true......... They should retake it..........I think my 15 yr old son could get a 15 or 17 on it.:scared:

It was my first time taking it. It looks like I will retake it because my score isn't a good representation of what I can get. But then again, getting a 17 doesn't mean I will fail in med school either.

It was my first time taking it. It looks like I will retake it because my score isn't a good representation of what I can get. But then again, getting a 17 doesn't mean I will fail in med school either.

If you tried hard and got a 17, then you will most likely fail med school.

That is why it is best that you retake it, no-matter-what.

Oh wow, there is a direct correlation with the MCAT and how well one does in Basic Science (First 2 years of medical school) So yes there is an indication that you would fail, that is why the test is required.

How do schools that don't require the mcats measure how one does in the basic sciences?

How do schools that don't require the mcats measure how one does in the basic sciences?

They use the grades in the required science courses to gauge your ability.

BUT the reason that the MCAT is required is because it is much much harder to cheat on the MCAT than in undergrad courses.

Oh wow, there is a direct correlation with the MCAT and how well one does in Basic Science (First 2 years of medical school) So yes there is an indication that you would fail, that is why the test is required.

This is what I've always heard. But then again I've also seen people who've gotten with a 19 Mcat and have successfully passed Basic Sciences in U.S...

So maybe there are people who can score a 30 but because their horrible test takers they end up scoring 21... I think it might be possible, right? But then that would make the Mcat a non-reliable source for gaging how well you will do...:confused:...

This is what I've always heard. But then again I've also seen people who've gotten with a 19 Mcat and have successfully passed Basic Sciences in U.S...

So maybe there are people who can score a 30 but because their horrible test takers they end up scoring 21... I think it might be possible, right? But then that would make the Mcat a non-reliable source for gaging how well you will do...:confused:...
I'm no fan of the MCAT I think it's just hoop anyway. But this seems to be the case so it may be a valid test for some.

Members don't see this ad :)
They use the grades in the required science courses to gauge your ability.

BUT the reason that the MCAT is required is because it is much much harder to cheat on the MCAT than in undergrad courses.

So considering only a 3.3 science gpa in a school that doesn't require the mcat, does this say if it is more likely I will fail or pass the basic sciences.

So considering only a 3.3 science gpa in a school that doesn't require the mcat, does this say if it is more likely I will fail or pass the basic sciences.

Personally I think if you could do a 3.3 then yes I think you can do fine in medical school, only school that is all 50 that may consider you is SABA, I would apply to them and AUC as I said both have been known to accept such stats.

IMO I think you should just apply apply and apply... You never know what can happen... What if you do get accepted? So just go for it and see what these schools have in store for you... Good :luck:..

In all honesty, the system is set-up for you to succeed and not to fail. That means that unless you are mentally ******ed or lack the intellectual ability to graduate university, then you will be able to become a physician. In fact, more and more it is becoming apparent that managing time and studying efficiently is more important than intelligence in medical school.

All of that to say that YOU decide how you do in medical school, no matter what the MCAT or GPA says. But keep in mind that you are the only person who truly knows your abilities and motivations so think long and hard about whether you are ready for med school. If you are ready then move forward and kick butt.

In all honesty, the system is set-up for you to succeed and not to fail. That means that unless you are mentally ******ed or lack the intellectual ability to graduate university, then you will be able to become a physician. In fact, more and more it is becoming apparent that managing time and studying efficiently is more important than intelligence in medical school.

All of that to say that YOU decide how you do in medical school, no matter what the MCAT or GPA says. But keep in mind that you are the only person who truly knows your abilities and motivations so think long and hard about whether you are ready for med school. If you are ready then move forward and kick butt.
Finally. I was getting to this point actually. Thank you.

Finally. I was getting to this point actually. Thank you.

It is an important point, but you have to remember that you will be judged on the 17. If I knew that I would get a 17, then I would have voided the exam. I skipped one MCAT (back when it was only 2 times per year) because I did not think I was ready. When I took it later, I did well and that has helped me.

I will repeat my previous point and say that if you tried hard on the MCAT and still got a 17, you will probably fail out of medical school.

Just a little update you guys.

I got an interview from ross yesterday. Am excited and I hope that's a good sign.

Just a little update you guys.

I got an interview from ross yesterday. Am excited and I hope that's a good sign.

I have an interview with them soon... are you applying for January?

I still think you should retake the MCAT, because your GPA is really good. You could get into a US MD school and not have to worry about working harder down the road for the residency of your choice. Just my 2 cents.

I have an interview with them soon... are you applying for January?

I still think you should retake the MCAT, because your GPA is really good. You could get into a US MD school and not have to worry about working harder down the road for the residency of your choice. Just my 2 cents.

I am actually applying for sept, still a long time.

People are gonna think am nuts but am not really that crazy about getting into a U.S. school when I can get the same good education at almost half the cost in the caribbean. I didn't pay a dime for my undergrad so I wanna take as little loan as possible for med school. Plus am not looking to get into the top residencies so am not really worried too much about getting an internal med residency.

I just got an interview from saba too. Does anyone know if the top 4 interview everyone that applies?

Caribbean is half the cost of US schools? That's something new. A friend at Harvard had $19k debt upon graduation (kickass financial package - with their $30bn endowment), and state schools are very cheap too.

I always thought the carib was more expensive.
Well AUC and SABA are not that expensive.

Hi,
I was wondering if I could get some "what are my chances" advice too?
I graduated in 02 with a B S in psychobiology with a very low gpa of 2.3. I have been conducting NCI clinical research trials in hematology/oncology at a medical center for the past 5 years and 4 months (huge clinical and medical experience here). Then I took the following classes at night for the past 2 years: medical microbiology, anatomy & physiology II & II, inorganic chem I & II, organic chem I & II, physics I & II. My gpa for post-bacc coursework was 3.56. MCAT was 24 (twice). My LOR's are from chief of hem/onc (work), research director (work), physics prof/pre-health advisor and med micro professor/asst chair of biology.
I applied to SGU (fall '08) and AUC (summer '08) but haven't heard back yet.
Thanks!

MikeyMike can you let me know how you came out>

MikeyMike can you let me know how you came out>
Well i got into ross and saba for september 08 and i chose ross. so it's not all about ur mcat or ur gpa. there are some things that might have happened in a person's life that made them have a certain score or gpa and caribbean schools are more forgiving.

Personally I think if you could do a 3.3 then yes I think you can do fine in medical school, only school that is all 50 that may consider you is SABA, I would apply to them and AUC as I said both have been known to accept such stats.

Yea I was with you before

But its hard to comment and give opinion without knowing GPA and MCAT, the other factors are important of course but for Caribbean schools A good GPA overshadows a lot

Yea I was with you before

But its hard to comment and give opinion without knowing GPA and MCAT, the other factors are important of course but for Caribbean schools A good GPA overshadows a lot

Ya thanks alot oldpro for ur encouragement. It doesnt really hurt to apply cos u never know what might come out of it.

Look like I was a bit off.

CONGRATS!

Now get ready to work hard and kick butt.

Let me repeat, it is 90% hard work and about 10% intelligence in med school.

Oh and strategy and logic will help a lot too...

Well i got into ross and saba for september 08 and i chose ross. so it's not all about ur mcat or ur gpa. there are some things that might have happened in a person's life that made them have a certain score or gpa and caribbean schools are more forgiving.

Look like I was a bit off.

CONGRATS!

Now get ready to work hard and kick butt.

Let me repeat, it is 90% hard work and about 10% intelligence in med school.

Oh and strategy and logic will help a lot too...

Well thanks McGill. Hell ya am gonna kick butt. Ross here i come.

Man u screwd the MCAT big time. Retake it and try to atleast score a 25

I was just wondering if I could get some of the similar advice that's been given so far.

I go to Loyola Chicago and am a Biology Major/Neuro Minor

I've got a 2.8 Overall w/ a 2.6 Science (i think).

I still have to take the MCAT so im shooting for something above a 30.

I've done Volunteering and Research (soon to be published) and am involved with an on campus job.

I just want to know what my chances are and if I should go to the Carib. or stay here an extra year and try to do things to boost my resume or w/e. Im just very scared about my future and will listen to any advice given to me.

I was just wondering if I could get some of the similar advice that's been given so far.

I go to Loyola Chicago and am a Biology Major/Neuro Minor

I've got a 2.8 Overall w/ a 2.6 Science (i think).

I still have to take the MCAT so im shooting for something above a 30.

I've done Volunteering and Research (soon to be published) and am involved with an on campus job.

I just want to know what my chances are and if I should go to the Carib. or stay here an extra year and try to do things to boost my resume or w/e. Im just very scared about my future and will listen to any advice given to me.

SGU a big Maybe

AUC probably

ROSS probably but they love to offer MERP ( premed)

SABA yes I think so

I would apply to all 4 a 2.8 is not that bad its low though

As far as the ones to tell you 2.6 can make it, Not at these schools,

There are other schools that take 2.6................

MCAT you only need a 26 or better so you just do your best.

SGU a big Maybe

AUC probably

ROSS probably but they love to offer MERP ( premed)

SABA yes I think so

I would apply to all 4 a 2.8 is not that bad its low though

As far as the ones to tell you 2.6 can make it, Not at these schools,

There are other schools that take 2.6................

MCAT you only need a 26 or better so you just do your best.

Well I realize that my GPA is kinda low which is the reason why I want to have a higher than average MCAT to show that my basic sciences are intact even though my GPA doesn't show it. I want to go to SGU ideally becuase so far they seem like that's my best option in terms of being able to get a residency back in the states.

Do you think I should avoid going to the Carib altogether and stay in the states and do other things to try to get into the state schools?

Well I realize that my GPA is kinda low which is the reason why I want to have a higher than average MCAT to show that my basic sciences are intact even though my GPA doesn't show it. I want to go to SGU ideally becuase so far they seem like that's my best option in terms of being able to get a residency back in the states.

Do you think I should avoid going to the Carib altogether and stay in the states and do other things to try to get into the state schools?

yes i think you should do everything you can to get into a US school before applying to the carib or any other foreign school. foreign schools should be your last resort.

yes i think you should do everything you can to get into a US school before applying to the carib or any other foreign school. foreign schools should be your last resort.

Any idea's on what I need to do to make my application better in one year? I understand that my weakest point on my resume is that I have a Low GPA, but other than trying to take some classes what more can I do? What programs are out there or where can I go to find them?

take a post bac program? a masters? win the nobel prize? your gpa is very very low for US schools. so i really don't know what you can do to improve your chances but as a rule of thumb you should exhaust your chances with the US schools before applying to foriegn schools. in your case there might not be that much you can do however. I know that even most phd programs require at least a 3.0.

take the mcat get well above 30 and then you'll see if you have to just improve your gpa or both gpa and mcat. If you get below 30 on the mcat i don't think you can do anything to imporve your shot at getting into a US school unless your parents are friends with someone on the admissions board or you can donate a new library or anatomy lab or something, another words buy yourself a spot in a medical school.

good luck.

Hi all,

I'm a UofT grad, like the O/P, but my cGPA is 3.7 and I have an MCAT of 32T. What are my chances of getting in top 4? I don't have good ref letters though :( but I have tonnes of volunteer experience. Please advise. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm a UofT grad, like the O/P, but my cGPA is 2.7 and I have an MCAT of 28T. What are my chances of getting in top 4? I don't have good ref letters though :( but I have tonnes of volunteer experience. Please advise. Thanks

Not 4 but three now (SABA= no loans)

I would apply to AUC and ROSS, SGU maybe

You need the LOR letters though, why do not have them?

Non traditional applicant 35y, RN, 3.1 overall GPA, 3.5 BCPM 27P mcat my chances in the big 4 in the islands

Everybody is talking having a 30+ MCAT to get into US MD schools. I was looking at some stats for 2008-2009 US MD schools and these schools in Puerto Rico have terrible MCAT stats. do not for get as well Howard University and Meharry. Look at this stats.

www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advising/gpamcat.pdf

Everybody is talking having a 30+ MCAT to get into US MD schools. I was looking at some stats for 2008-2009 US MD schools and these schools in Puerto Rico have terrible MCAT stats. do not for get as well Howard University and Meharry. Look at this stats.

www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advising/gpamcat.pdf

If you can speak Spanish, Puerto Rican schools are good alternatives. If you are an URM or disadvantaged, maybe that will explain some of the lower stats. Some states also have STRONG preferences for instate students even with lower stats.

Sorry , dont speak spanish but i am an URM . I will take the mcat again and I will aim for 30+