This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im currently a 4th year at a UC. My Science GPA is a 2.88. My overall GPA is a 3.06. I really made a mess of my 3rd year academically and my GPA dropped significantly. Also my GPA has a downward trend. I have yet to take my MCAT but plan on doing so during the summer. My question is now, I not quite sure what to do cause I'm unable to take any classes with a C or better. As I am do I have a chance at getting into any Pod schools with such a low GPA? EC activities wise. I am a D1 Student Athlete, member of a student run clinic for an underserved community, have had a hospital internship in an ICU, have shadowed multiple podiatrists, tutor at risk high school students at a local high school, have been nominated and attending multiple leadership retreats for athletics, coach local volleyball teams, and am a board member for an upcoming conference my school is hosting.
Also what would you see as other options for me to pursue career wise?

Reactions: 1 user
Im currently a 4th year at a UC. My Science GPA is a 2.88. My overall GPA is a 3.06. I really made a mess of my 3rd year academically and my GPA dropped significantly. Also my GPA has a downward trend. I have yet to take my MCAT but plan on doing so during the summer. My question is now, I not quite sure what to do cause I'm unable to take any classes with a C or better. As I am do I have a chance at getting into any Pod schools with such a low GPA? EC activities wise. I am a D1 Student Athlete, member of a student run clinic for an underserved community, have had a hospital internship in an ICU, have shadowed multiple podiatrists, tutor at risk high school students at a local high school, have been nominated and attending multiple leadership retreats for athletics, coach local volleyball teams, and am a board member for an upcoming conference my school is hosting.
I think you have a fair chance as long as you finish your senior year strong (afaik, UCs are on quarter system, right? so you have two terms' worth of grades to bring up your sGPA a bit), do well on the MCAT, and apply early. Your ECs sound great!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a fair chance as long as you finish your senior year strong (afaik, UCs are on quarter system, right? so you have two terms' worth of grades to bring up your sGPA a bit), do well on the MCAT, and apply early. Your ECs sound great!
Agree.

Apply to the podiatry internships. It shows you are motivated about the field of podiatry. Also, if accepted to the internship it is a way to prove yourself to the school, kind of like a pre-interview I guess. This is just from my experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!

Here are my stats: What do you think my chances are of getting in if I apply soon?

sGPA: 2.73
cGPA: 3.05
MCAT: 23/496/pending
1 year undergrad research
40 hours of shadowing

Will be applying to all 9 schools

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Here are my stats: What do you think my chances are of getting in if I apply soon?

40 hours of shadowing

I think you can get in somewhere but you don't have the luxury of being picky. Are you applying to all 9 schools?

Oh, and a heads up - There's a thread for "what are my chances?" which I feel your question falls under. But not really a big deal. Maybe a mod will move it for you

Hi everyone!

40 hours of shadowing

i'd apply to all nine and do it soon as possible. i think you'll get in somewhere to a larger school. similar stats to mine, but a little lower GPA.

Thank you! I think I will apply to all 9 schools.. actually, maybe not AZpod, Temple, DMU due to high cut offs?

Thank you! I think I will apply to all 9 schools.. actually, maybe not AZpod, Temple, DMU due to high cut offs?
Just apply to all of them. You never know what could happen. Receiving a no is much better than never trying.

I have already been accepted to my top choices (Temple and Western), so here are my stats for those who are loosing hope.

Applied to all schools except for DMU and Scholl (Chicago)
2. cGPA: 3.26 / sGPA: 3.25
3. MCAT: 495
4. Podiatry Experience: 16 hours of shadowing (2 days)
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience: Pharmacy technician for 5 years in a geriatric/long-term care pharmacy
6. Volunteering:
  • Research assistant in a developmental biology lab for 2 years. I only presented at a symposium once.
  • Teaching assistant for a foreign language course for 2 years.
  • Volunteered at a hospital. I only volunteered about ~70 hours
I attended a California State University, so I don't have any prestige points unlike those who attended UC schools (UCLA, Berkeley). I applied early (had my apps completed and sent by the end of September). My grades have an upward trend. My cGPA in my freshman year was a 1.9 but eventually increased to a 3.26 by the time I graduated. Yes, there's an F in my transcript along with a few W's. I also think my personal statement really helped me get interviews.

All 7 schools I applied to offered me interviews. I attended only 3 of them (NYCPM, Temple, & Western). I was accepted to all 3 schools. Once I got accepted to Temple and Western, I cancelled all other interviews I scheduled.

Hi guys!

Just graduated last month! Just wondering what my chances are for this cycle. I will be taking orgo II, A&P I, and probably nutrition in spring 2017 at a community college to bring up my grades a bit (in order to apply aug 2017).

Stats
sGPA 2.61/ cGPA 2.76 (grades calculated according to AACPM)
496 MCAT - 123 C/P , 125 CARS , 124 B/B , 124 P/S
40 hours of pod shadowing. Obtained my rec letter as well.
1 year of undergrad research
Bachelor of science from a ranked 50-60 university
Philly resident

Questions
1) If I apply now, what are my chances for NYpod, Temple? What about the other schools?
2) After spring 2017, assuming I can pull A and/or A-, my sGPA should be around 2.74-76 and cGPA should be around 2.84-87
3) Should I retake my MCAT too?
4) If I apply as soon as application cycle opens in Aug, are my chances high?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello at all!!! Hoping everyone's new year is off to a wonderful start!!

I'm a non-trad URM.

BS in Psych with minor in chemistry. Particularly interested in Scholls and Kent, though will apply to other schools as well.

Cgpa: 3.77
Sgpa: 3.65
most recent mcat: 491

Having a great deal of shadowing experiences
100+ hours (primary and cardio)

Lot of volunteer services: community services etc.

supervised research assistant in undergraduate

Tutor in chemistry/biology
Supplemental Instructor for Introductory Psychology Course.

Caregiver for 7/8 years.
Going back taking Biochemistry this Spring,
I started shadowing podiatrist early last year, will do more shadowing this year.

I would like to know what are my chances. Please and Thank You!!

Stats
Philly resident

Questions
1) If I apply now, what are my chances for NYpod, Temple? What about the other schools?
2) After spring 2017, assuming I can pull A and/or A-, my sGPA should be around 2.74-76 and cGPA should be around 2.84-87

Full disclosure: I'm still a pre-pod so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

1) I'll be honest, I don't think your chances this cycle are good. The CIB publishes matriculant GPA/MCAT statistics for all the schools, and your current numbers are very close to the bottom end of the ranges published for NYCPM & Temple. I think it would be a better idea to apply early next year.
2) Yeah try to do as well as you can spring 2017.
3) Personally, I think it would be a good idea to retake your MCAT because a higher MCAT might be able to balance out your low GPA a bit. For reference, Temple's range on the new MCAT is a 495-510, with a mean of 501 (source: CIB). I know numbers are just numbers and will vary depending on the year, but a higher score will definitely increase your chances.
4) Not high but better. Hopefully, a more qualified poster can chime in on this though...

I understand the desire to not take a gap year, but I think it could really help in your situation. Work hard on your last semester, retake the MCAT, and maybe even consider doing a postbacc/master's to show you really want this. From one underdog to another, I'm rooting for you!

Hello at all!!! Hoping everyone's new year is off to a wonderful start!!

I'm a non-trad URM.

BS in Psych with minor in chemistry. Particularly interested in Scholls and Kent, though will apply to other schools as well.

Cgpa: 3.77
Sgpa: 3.65
most recent mcat: 491

Having a great deal of shadowing experiences
100+ hours (primary and cardio)

Lot of volunteer services: community services etc.

supervised research assistant in undergraduate

Tutor in chemistry/biology
Supplemental Instructor for Introductory Psychology Course.

Caregiver for 7/8 years.
Going back taking Biochemistry this Spring,
I started shadowing podiatrist early last year, will do more shadowing this year.

I would like to know what are my chances. Please and Thank You!!

GPAs are perfectly fine.

Any chance on an MCAT retake? You'd probably get in but a 500 you'd be looking at scholarships.

Get that rec letter and get your app in early. Invites galore.

Hi guys!

Just graduated last month! Just wondering what my chances are for this cycle. I will be taking orgo II, A&P I, and probably nutrition in spring 2017 at a community college to bring up my grades a bit (in order to apply aug 2017).

Stats
Philly resident

Questions

MCAT is fine but GPAs are a bit worrying.

Even with cGPA you might be auto screened out at some schools.

Any chance you could retake science courses you did C in and get A at local CC? Applying early next cycle would be much better if you got sGPA 3.0 and above.

Hi guys!

Stats
Philly resident

Questions

Your MCAT is a decent score. I wouldn't retake the MCAT again, unless you are certain you will get 500+ However, your GPA is low and will cause you problems. In terms of chances, it will really depend on the school. I've seen some people in this thread that got in with GPA <3.0, but that might be rare. Maybe you can call admissions and get their input.

GPAs are perfectly fine.

Any chance on an MCAT retake? You'd probably get in but a 500 you'd be looking at scholarships.

Get that rec letter and get your app in early. Invites galore.

it's possible that I may retake mcat, though I've taken the mcat more than I would like. Is it possible to get invites with my standing stats at either Kent or Scholl?

MCAT is fine but GPAs are a bit worrying.

Even with cGPA you might be auto screened out at some schools.

Any chance you could retake science courses you did C in and get A at local CC? Applying early next cycle would be much better if you got sGPA 3.0 and above.

if I can score above a 500 on the next MCAT will it help to offset the low sGPA?
Even if I retake my science courses, it probably won't make a dent because all grades are factored in...

I was really stupid and immature during my undergrad and ended up pulling 3 F and 2 D (all basic sciences...) I didnt know I could withdraw from a class till my junior year...

For now I should just focus on my spring 2017 and study for a higher MCAT?

Your MCAT is a decent score. I wouldn't retake the MCAT again, unless you are certain you will get 500+ However, your GPA is low and will cause you problems. In terms of chances, it will really depend on the school. I've seen some people in this thread that got in with GPA <3.0, but that might be rare. Maybe you can call admissions and get their input.

I am fairly confident I can score higher. My practice tests before the MCAT indicated 506, so probably a nerve thing and lack of practice.

My grades followed an upward trend after my fresh and sophomore year :(

Full disclosure: I'm still a pre-pod so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

1) I'll be honest, I don't think your chances this cycle are good. The CIB publishes matriculant GPA/MCAT statistics for all the schools, and your current numbers are very close to the bottom end of the ranges published for NYCPM & Temple. I think it would be a better idea to apply early next year.
2) Yeah try to do as well as you can spring 2017.
3) Personally, I think it would be a good idea to retake your MCAT because a higher MCAT might be able to balance out your low GPA a bit. For reference, Temple's range on the new MCAT is a 495-510, with a mean of 501 (source: CIB). I know numbers are just numbers and will vary depending on the year, but a higher score will definitely increase your chances.
4) Not high but better. Hopefully, a more qualified poster can chime in on this though...

I understand the desire to not take a gap year, but I think it could really help in your situation. Work hard on your last semester, retake the MCAT, and maybe even consider doing a postbacc/master's to show you really want this. From one underdog to another, I'm rooting for you!

Don't think I will attempt a postbacc/master... way too expensive.
My transcript reflects an upward trend after my first two years of immaturity.

My freshmen and sophomore year I literally did nothing and pulled multiple F in the same science class (bioi because i didnt go to class and such) and D for the other basic sciences, which I took during latter semesters and got B and B+ grades...

if I can score above a 500 on the next MCAT will it help to offset the low sGPA?
Even if I retake my science courses, it probably won't make a dent because all grades are factored in...

I was really stupid and immature during my undergrad and ended up pulling 3 F and 2 D (all basic sciences...) I didnt know I could withdraw from a class till my junior year...

For now I should just focus on my spring 2017 and study for a higher MCAT?

If you want to go that route that's fine too.

Shoot for highest you can get.

Only worried for you because I don't want you to get auto-screened out. That's all.

it's possible that I may retake mcat, though I've taken the mcat more than I would like. Is it possible to get invites with my standing stats at either Kent or Scholl?

I'd say yes.

And don't worry, we all have haha.

491 should get you invites to the bigger schools. Best of luck!

Hi guys!

Stats
Philly resident

Questions

I applied to only NYCPM and Temple last minute in early May after DO school fell through and got an interview and acceptance in early June. Our class ended up being 86 instead of the usual 109 due to lower admissions my cycle last year so if youre really desperate to try and get in this cycle I would at the very least apply to NYCPM and hope there are a lot of seats open. We had one guy literally accepted a couple weeks before class started. Temple is more competitive and believe puts the most emphasis on GPA in an application so I wouldnt even bother trying in your case.

I applied to only NYCPM and Temple last minute in early May after DO school fell through and got an interview and acceptance in early June. Our class ended up being 86 instead of the usual 109 due to lower admissions my cycle last year so if youre really desperate to try and get in this cycle I would at the very least apply to NYCPM and hope there are a lot of seats open. We had one guy literally accepted a couple weeks before class started. Temple is more competitive and believe puts the most emphasis on GPA in an application so I wouldnt even bother trying in your case.
Damn, 86 instead of 109? Temple started with the full 100. I would think that most of the people who applied to NYCPM also applied to Temple since they're only a few hours apart. That's crazy. At least one other school that I heard of also didn't fill their capacity (forgot which one, but it wasn't NYCPM), but maybe more also didn't.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Damn, 86 instead of 109? Temple started with the full 100. I would think that most of the people who applied to NYCPM also applied to Temple since they're only a few hours apart. That's crazy. At least one other school that I heard of also didn't fill their capacity (forgot which one, but it wasn't NYCPM), but maybe more also didn't.

Yeah at out orientation they told us that admissions were down 25% for our school but 35% down overall for pod. But they rather had pick selectively than fill the full size with some lesser candidates. Apparently tho NYCPM lost a lot of candidates to you guys bc your facilities are newer/more modern because our admin and especially president are cheap as hell and dont think its necessary. Personally i didnt get the chance to interview at Temple and was really left with only one choice due to the last minute nature, and Im grateful, but from what i heard on here and from classmates who interviewed at Temple, Temple is the way better overall package. NYCPM also rolls the dice more and takes chances on people who like OP screwed around in early undergrad and got their act together later but that also leads to the higher attrition rate. School starts again at 9am but from what I heard we alrdy lost at least 5 students due to failing too many classes.

Is that a worry for the future of the profession? I wonder if its because more and more dental and DO schools are opening up, making admissions into those schools less competitive (not saying they arent competitive just that more schools make them less).

Is that a worry for the future of the profession? I wonder if its because more and more dental and DO schools are opening up, making admissions into those schools less competitive (not saying they arent competitive just that more schools make them less).
That's hard to say. Podiatry schools used to graduate more than 700 students per year. And in recent years that's down to under 600 per year. Though that's largely due to capping admissions at each school after switch to the three year residency model to make sure there are enough three year residencies to go around.

Podiatry applications have always been low compared to other fields. The overall acceptance rate is around 67% (matriculants to applicants). For reference, MD school acceptance rate is around 43% and OD acceptance rate is around 70%. So, we're still in the ballpark and there are enough applicants to fill every seat, but it makes it harder to be selective. NYCPM didn't fill their seats because they were trying to be selective this cycle, not because there were too few applicants, they could've filled those seats had they been less selective.

Also, it sounds like the DO application service may have just ceased grade replacement, which may shunt more students in the direction of podiatry school in upcoming cycles, but who knows.

That's hard to say. Podiatry schools used to graduate more than 700 students per year. And in recent years that's down to under 600 per year. Though that's largely due to capping admissions at each school after switch to the three year residency model to make sure there are enough three year residencies to go around.

Podiatry applications have always been low compared to other fields. The overall acceptance rate is around 67% (matriculants to applicants). For reference, MD school acceptance rate is around 43% and OD acceptance rate is around 70%. So, we're still in the ballpark and there are enough applicants to fill every seat, but it makes it harder to be selective. NYCPM didn't fill their seats because they were trying to be selective this cycle, not because there were too few applicants, they could've filled those seats had they been less selective.

Also, it sounds like the DO application service may have just ceased grade replacement, which may shunt more students in the direction of podiatry school in upcoming cycles, but who knows.

Didn't know grade replacement was going away for DO.

Dang

Didn't know grade replacement was going away for DO.

Dang
They're talking about it now over on the osteopathic forums and I believe there's a petition starting on Reddit to ask them to keep grade replacement.

I just looked into it after reading your post and wow... it's actually starting in the '17/'18 cycle.

But think of what this means for the big picture:

-How many kids went into D.O. because of the grade replacement as opposed to being genuinely interested in the osteopathic approach?

They're talking about it now over on the osteopathic forums and I believe there's a petition starting on Reddit to ask them to keep grade replacement.

All the bashing podiatry gets and look how people are freaking out that grade replacement is getting taken away.

I think it was you that once pointed out, if not for the whole grade replacement thing, D.O. schools would have similar stats to podiatry. Keep in mind the D.O. numbers are around about 3.4 - 3.6 and that is with replacement.

But since they're so big on this parity with M.D. what will they set as the gpa cutoff now that there's no replacement? I'm thinking 3.6+ ?

In an effort to increase transparency, the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) has approved the following change regarding the AACOMAS Repeat Coursework Policy:

Effective May 1, 2017, AACOMAS will include all course attempts in the GPA calculation. This change applies to students matriculating into the 2018-2019 academic year. In the event of multiple attempts of the same course, AACOMAS will no longer drop initial course attempts from the GPA calculation.

Osteopathic medical schools may continue recalculating and weighing applicant GPAs per their established admissions practices. The scope of this policy change is limited to the AACOMAS verified GPA calculation.

The current AACOMAS Repeat Coursework Policy drops the initial course attempts from the GPA calculation. In the upcoming 2017-2018 AACOMAS application cycle, applicants will continue to identify repeated courses during coursework entry, but they will no longer enter 0.00 credit hours for initial attempts. Credit hours for all attempts will be entered as they appear on the official transcript and all grades will be averaged. The AACOMAS application instructions will be updated in advance of the 2017-2018 application cycle to reflect this change in policy.

If more students turn to Podiatry due to this change in the DO field, then it's plausible that the admissions criteria for Pod school will also be more competitive in the coming years.

If more students turn to Podiatry due to this change in the DO field, then it's plausible that the admissions criteria for Pod school will also be more competitive in the coming years.

That's what's anticipated to happen.

That's what's anticipated to happen.

Should pre-pods applying the '17-'18 cycle make note of this and attempt to increase their stats to be safe? I don't think admission standards for pod schools would increase that quickly and drastically. But who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

...who knows.
Exactly. Who knows.

But if it were me applying next cycle, I probably would try to step up my game as much as possible in the time between now and then. I'd rather be overprepared than potentially get left behind and have to wait yet another year to improve my app.

Stats are already going up.

DO altering grade replacement policies will probably have minimal effects if any on matriculating stats.

Stats are already going up.

DO altering grade replacement policies will probably have minimal effects if any on matriculating stats.
I could see potential for it though. Usually there are fewer than 1,000 people applying to podiatry schools whereas there are over 20,000 applying to DO schools. If even a small percentage of them were shunted towards podiatry that could make a big difference. Their GPAs would probably be comparable, though their MCATs are certainly noticeably higher on average.

And on top of that theres the whole merger between DO and MD residencies. DO schools used to have residency slots reserved specifically for them and now they will all fall under one umbrella for anyone to apply. I wonder if less DOs will match because of it? It seems a lot is changing in health care. The good thing witb pod is the residencies. It allows better control over saturation. Thats one big negative with dentistry. No residency means lack of control over how many graduate each year and how many new private schools open up, which may end up resulting in a big oversupply of qualified dentists with high debts.

Already posted here previously in my last sem, but have updated stats.

1. Biology Major
2. Asian, female
3. cGPA : 3.263, sGPA : ~2.9?
4. Junior, planning to apply in 2017 cycle
5. MCAT: Tbd, taking in august
Extracurriculars:
1. Volunteer hours: over 250
2. MD/DO: shadowing: 200+ hours
3. Pod shadowing: 50 hours
4. ANCOP member (volunteers /fundraising to provide education for underprivileged children in the Philippines)
5. volunteer for local physician assoc.
6. chapter head for intl. youth organization
7. productions head for an intl. event
8. tutor : science/math for local school district
9. undergrad researcher for uni's advanced polymer laboratory (materials science, int he device synthesis dept.) for over 1 year
10. volunteered in local clinics to help underprivileged children in the Philippines
11. languages: minimal Spanish, fluent in Tagalog and English. Can read Korean (Hangul)

Already posted here previously in my last sem, but have updated stats.

1. Biology Major
2. Asian, female
3. cGPA : 3.263, sGPA : ~2.9?
4. Junior, planning to apply in 2017 cycle
5. MCAT: Tbd, taking in august
Extracurriculars:
1. Volunteer hours: over 250
2. MD/DO: shadowing: 200+ hours
3. Pod shadowing: 50 hours
4. ANCOP member (volunteers /fundraising to provide education for underprivileged children in the Philippines)
5. volunteer for local physician assoc.
6. chapter head for intl. youth organization
7. productions head for an intl. event
8. tutor : science/math for local school district
9. undergrad researcher for uni's advanced polymer laboratory (materials science, int he device synthesis dept.) for over 1 year
10. volunteered in local clinics to help underprivileged children in the Philippines
11. languages: minimal Spanish, fluent in Tagalog and English. Can read Korean (Hangul)

Should be fine.

Chances will increase with MCAT 496+

Nail it and you'll get interview invites. Also get a rec letter from a pod.

1. Biology Major, Graduated Dec 2016
2. Asian, male
3. cGPA : 3.12, sGPA : 2.92
4. planning to apply in 2017 cycle for 2018
5. MCAT: Tbd, taking in March
Extracurriculars:
1. Volunteer hours: over 120 Hours
2. MD: shadowing: 150+ Hours
3. Pod shadowing: None
4. 1 Year of ALZ research, 1 Publication, 1 Presentation
5. Freelance Photographer
6. Videographer for News Paper
7. Tennis Club Officer
8. volunteered in local health Fairs focusing on hepatitis B
Any Suggestions Welcome
Thanks!

2. Asian, male
Extracurriculars:
7. Tennis Club Officer
Any Suggestions Welcome
Thanks!
I'll state the obvious and let others handle everything else. You need to shadow a podiatrist, that should be item #1 on your list, IMO. If you have trouble finding someone to shadow, sign up on the AACPM website and see if there is someone nearby that can be your "mentor."

I'll state the obvious and let others handle everything else. You need to shadow a podiatrist, that should be item #1 on your list, IMO. If you have trouble finding someone to shadow, sign up on the AACPM website and see if there is someone nearby that can be your "mentor."
Thanks for the feedback!
Im in contact with a couple potential podiatrists and should rack up hours before I apply!

2. Asian, male
Extracurriculars:
7. Tennis Club Officer
Any Suggestions Welcome
Thanks!
Just crush the MCAT, that is all.

1. Des Moines, Kent, NY, Temple and Rosalind
2. cGPA: 3.67/sGPA: 3.49
3. MCAT Score: 487 (took it in 05/2016)
4. Just started shadowing one and should be able to get some hours and a letter before applying.
5. Worked as a scribe and have over 500 hours of clinical experience in 5 different specialties. Now working as a lab technician.
6. Total of 100 hours from hospital (both in the floor and ER) and hours from food and blood bank.

I know my MCAT scores are really low and its been really stressing me. I plan on applying 2017 cycle. Do I have any chances with that MCAT score or should I just retake it while there is some time.

Last edited:
1. Des Moines, Kent, NY, Temple and Rosalind
2. cGPA: 3.67/sGPA: 3.59
3. MCAT Score: 487 (took it in 05/2016)
4. Just started shadowing one and should be able to get some hours and a letter before applying.
5. Worked as a scribe and have over 500 hours of clinical experience in 5 different specialties. Now working as a lab technician.
6. Total of 100 hours from hospital (both in the floor and ER) and hours from food and blood bank.

I know my MCAT scores are really low and its been really stressing me. I plan on applying 2017 cycle. Do I have any chances with that MCAT score or should I just retake it while there is some time.

GPA's are excellent. I would retake the MCAT though, it is below the average accepted, however it doesn't hurt to apply with it. Especially with the larger schools like Kent. Your good GPA could balance. Make sure you get enough hours of shadowing though, if anything it will pull the weight even more in your favour in the interview giving you an even better chance