This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lazy Surgeon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have just gotten my MCAT scores and I feel a bit ambiguous.
I am a third year INTERNATIONAL student at Queen's University, Canada.
MCAT: Chem/Phys 130, CARS 127, Bio/Bchm 131, Psyc/Soc 129, 517, overall.
cGPA: 3.87, scienceGPA: 3.96, Dean's list with Distinction

Please, tell me do I have any chances to get an interview at Harvard if I apply early enough?
Also in my dream list: Yale, Duke, Boston, Columbia University, Stanford, Geisel, Rosalind Franklin, Mayo

Some other facts for your consideration:
WORK:
2016-2018, Summer: around 1800 hours of the summer internship at Neurosurgery Department of the Azerbaijan Medical University over three consecutive summers, including:
- 200 hours as a research assistant
- 100 hours as a TS
- 800 hours of the Surgery Nurse Assistant, e. g. participating in real surgical procedures (is that even allowed in the US?)
- 200 hours of volunteering as a caregiver for the disabled and post-op patients (feeding, gymnastics)
-500 hours as the Physician Assistant (paperwork, changing bandages, shadowing the Doctor and doing what instructed, developing a Surgeon's website)
-2017-2018: Anatomy TA at Queen's, 2 hours/week
RESEARCH:
2014: INTEL ISEF finalist, IR absorption by coated semiconductors due to Franz-Keldysh effect
2014-2015: in Azerbaijan, Effect of vitamin D on pancreatic cancer 5-year survival rates (review).
2016-2017: High viscosity vertebroplasty application in the compressed vertebra. (part of the internship)
2017-2018: fMRI standardization methods.
2017-2018: Phage antibacterial therapy, applications of CRISPR.
2017: presentation: STI and risk of ectopic pregnancy
2014: Patent on development of Counter-current multiplier loop for cryogenic energy storage systems
VOLUNTEERING:
2014-2015: 1000 hours, GI Physician, Volunteer in a local clinic, Baku
2016-2017: about 40 hours, Queen's English Department English language tutor for exchange students
2017-2018: Kingston General Hospital, Geriatric Oncology, volunteer (2 hours/ week)
2013: Food-bank volunteer in Arizona (as part of Youth Leadership Program with US Department of State)
2017-2018: 3 hours/week, Cooking at the Dining Hall of 44' Science Co-op for the students
OTHER EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:
2017 Baku Formula 1 Grand-Prix, First Aider
2016-2018: Queen's University Science Research Journal Managing Editor, 1 hour/week (depends on the time of year)
2017-2018: Journal of Young Investigators Copy Editor 1hour/week
2014-currently: Honored Delegate of European Youth Parliament
2017: Neuroscience Conference Logistics Manager, 1 hour/week
AWARDS:
Principal's Award 8000$
Azerbaijan Government Scholarship, 50000$/year
Dean's List with Distinction
Azerbaijan Medical University 1st grade award for achievements in Research
LANGUAGES:
English, Russian, Azerbaijani, Turkish, French, German
HOBBIES:
Film criticism, Guitar, and Piano (was playing in the band)
SPORTS:
First year: Intramural indoor soccer
Second year: Intramural soccer
2014: Volunteered at the Charity Competition of UEFA for poor children (have no proof)

References from:
-Genetics Professor, Queen's
-Anatomy Professor, Queen's
-Neuroscientist, Queen's
-Neurosurgeon at Azerbaijan Medical University, MD, PhD
-Director of Azerbaijan Medical University Therapeutic Hospital, MD
-International Affairs Dean of Azerbaijan Medical University, MD
-Physics Professor, Queen's
-Master of Anatomical Sciences, Queen's
-KGH Volunteer Services Director, Kingston General
-English Department International Coordinator, Queen's

I would deeply appreciate any ideas. Please, leave under any suggestions.
Please, @Goro @LizzyM @efle , I beg for your opinion. Do you think I have chances at Harvard, or should I retake MCAT to boost my cars?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So help me, if you retake that wonderful MCAT score, I will reach through the electrons and smack you so hard upside the head that your eyeballs will reach escape velocity!!!

Reactions: 3 users
So help me, if you retake that wonderful MCAT score, I will reach through the electrons and smack you so hard upside the head that your eyeballs will reach escape velocity!!!
Dear @Goro , who I revere so much for the endless hints on the vast lands of SDN kingdom,
my CARS is a bit low, I really need to decide whether to retake. And do I actually have chances at Harvard, as an international student? Thank you so much for your response!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
it's extremely possible for your c/p and especially b/b to decrease and counteract any gains on cars. you'd probably want to crack 520 for it to be remotely worth the retake too

it's extremely possible for your c/p and especially b/b to decrease and counteract any gains on cars. you'd probably want to crack 520 for it to be remotely worth the retake too
But, overall, are my stats good enough to dream about the top 20, assuming that I am an international?

But, overall, are my stats good enough to dream about the top 20, assuming that I am an international?
IDK about international students, I'm in the same preapplicant stage you are. I guess?

Dear @Goro , who I revere so much for the endless hints on the vast lands of SDN kingdom,
my CARS is a bit low, I really need to decide whether to retake. And do I actually have chances at Harvard, as an international student? Thank you so much for your response!

CARS is the one category hat gets cut some slack. I simply can't recommend a retake.
As an international, you can't focus solely on the Top Schools. Target those schools that accept more than a handful of internationals.

Your CARS is low but you also speak 6 languages so you might be cut some slack in that regard. If the research angle makes your application attractive enough, then Harvard and other top 20 schools might want to interview you but it can be hit or miss because you are an international applicant. Buy the MSAR, apply knowing which schools take Internationals.

Reactions: 1 users

CARS is the one category hat gets cut some slack. I simply can't recommend a retake.
As an international, you can't focus solely on the Top Schools. Target those schools that accept more than a handful of internationals.

Your CARS is low but you also speak 6 languages so you might be cut some slack in that regard. If the research angle makes your application attractive enough, then Harvard and other top 20 schools might want to interview you but it can be hit or miss because you are an international applicant. Buy the MSAR, apply knowing which schools take Internationals.

MCAT: Chem/Phys 130, CARS 127, Bio/Bchm 131, Psyc/Soc 129, 517, overall.

A 127 CARS is low? This is news to me.

Relative to the other sections... It isn't bad but its the lower than any I saw IRL this week. :eek:
Thanks for your response! So, I might have to retake it?

Also, is it recommended to apply as early as possible in June of 2018?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
But you're up in the stratosphere!
Also, would a decent recommendation from an English literature professor back the cars score up?

Use Wedge Dawg's system to identify schools you are a match for. Then cross reference with the MSAR to scratch from the list those schools that won't be friendly toward internationals.

I don't believe you need to retake. You are one point from the general rule of >125 in every section and >129 in at least 3 sections.

A LOR from an English professor would be fine as a non-science letter. It might not be something seen as making up for a low-ish CARS score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Use Wedge Dawg's system to identify schools you are a match for. Then cross reference with the MSAR to scratch from the list those schools that won't be friendly toward internationals.

I don't believe you need to retake. You are one point from the general rule of >125 in every section and >129 in at least 3 sections.

A LOR from an English professor would be fine as a non-science letter. It might not be something seen as making up for a low-ish CARS score.

Dear @LizzyM , I have gotten 95 on WARS score. What do you think?

Sorry for another question. In terms of research experiences, is a publication in JYI, 2 summers of the neurosurgery research back in Azerbaijan (300-400), around 120 hours of research in phage therapy with a paper at Queen's, an undergraduate thesis (800 hours) in neuroimaging, INTEL ISEF finalist, 3 reviews, 5 presentations and 2 years of editing the papers in two undergraduate journals good enough?

Sorry for another question. In terms of research experiences, is a publication in JYI, 2 summers of the neurosurgery research back in Azerbaijan (300-400), around 120 hours of research in phage therapy with a paper at Queen's, an undergraduate thesis (800 hours) in neuroimaging, INTEL ISEF finalist, 3 reviews, 5 presentations and 2 years of editing the papers in two undergraduate journals good enough?

Good enough for what? You've checked the box. The publication in JYI won't impress anyone, frankly. INTEL ISEF finalist might not be worth adding because it is during HS, right? Not sure the research back in Azerbaijan will hold much weight. Where was the paper you wrote at Queen's University published? Undergrad thesis is good. Editing undergrad journals is an okay EC.

Good enough for what? You've checked the box. The publication in JYI won't impress anyone, frankly. INTEL ISEF finalist might not be worth adding because it is during HS, right? Not sure the research back in Azerbaijan will hold much weight. Where was the paper you wrote at Queen's University published? Undergrad thesis is good. Editing undergrad journals is an okay EC.
The bacteriophage paper is not going published until the next september, because I am still working on it and the Thesis will be done in the 4th year of undergrad, should I add them to my resume as expected research experiences? Thank you very much!

Dear @Goro ,

I apologize for asking too many questions. I really appreciate your attention. I would like to ask you, in your opinion, what is the main reason why most international students are turned down before the interview stage?
Also, do you recommend to submit the application to AMCAS on the 1st of June, does this make the application favorable?
I am more than thankful for your comments. They tell me I am on the right track, but should work even harder.

Best regards!

This post goes to show that even for international applicants that need Harvard/Stanford level stats and ECs to be accepted to US MD schools, retaking a 517 is almost always a bad idea. Even if you do the improbable and earn a perfect score, you will still be seen as somewhat of a neurotic perfectionist.

Gunning for top 20s?

Do not retake a 517. No matter how much you think you can improve, it's almost certainly a horrible idea.

Reactions: 2 users
Dear @Goro ,

I apologize for asking too many questions. I really appreciate your attention. I would like to ask you, in your opinion, what is the main reason why most international students are turned down before the interview stage?
Also, do you recommend to submit the application to AMCAS on the 1st of June, does this make the application favorable?
I am more than thankful for your comments. They tell me I am on the right track, but should work even harder.

Best regards!
Because internationals need to secure private funding, and even show the ability to pay tuition up front because they can't apply for Federal loans.
Second, to put it bluntly, we favor our own.

Because internationals need to secure private funding, and even show the ability to pay tuition up front because they can't apply for Federal loans.
Second, to put it bluntly, we favor our own.
Dear @Goro ,
That is reasonable. However, I was wondering not why international students cannot get placements in MedSchools, but what differs accepted internationals from all others?

Thank you very much! :D

Dear @Goro ,
That is reasonable. However, I was wondering not why international students cannot get placements in MedSchools, but what differs accepted internationals from all others?

Thank you very much! :D
Our friend gyngyn mentions that such successful students often go to the UG school of the med school