Retaking 511 MCAT/International Applicant/3.99 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangoes8787

Reaction score
Hello!

Tested and got a 511 (127/127/129/128). I was wondering if it is worth applying this cycle as an international student with this score or retaking and applying next cycle?

cGPA: 3.99, sGPA: 4.0

Major: Biochem

Clinical: ~200 as PCT (more over the summer) and ~250 from volunteering at clinics for underserved/uninsured populations (was uninsured myself for the longest time due to immigration status, big motivation for my reason to go into medicine)

Non-clinical ~ 250 (shelter for homeless refugees, other homeless shelters, teaching english etc)

Research ~ 400 in a biochemistry lab (received best presentation award at a conference) and ~ 800 in oncology research lab that I will continue over the summer and upcoming academic year

Shadowing ~ 90 hours from 2 specialties

Leadership: Community service chair for multiple student orgs- this led to one of the orgs receiving an award from the university for the service done throughout the year. Biking across country next summer to fundraise money and awareness for cancer research, peer mentor, and other healthcare related orgs.

First-gen student, immigrant, low-income, ORM

I know 511 is the national matriculant average but I have heard that for international applicants the matriculant average is around 514. Currently scheduled for a retake in June but I do not feel ready at all so I probably will not end up doing it. My options are to either go ahead w my primary app for this cycle with a 511 and if I have to reapply retake MCAT later or study over the summer and retake in the beginning of fall. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your current immigration status and state residency?
Applied for a visa but haven’t been granted it yet bc of annual caps. Can get a green card few years after getting the visa but the entire thing could take around 5 years. Received SSN and employment authorization as we wait for the review of our application. TX resident, went to HS here and currently at college here as well

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to schools like SLU, Georgetown (I know one intl here who got in with a 510), TCU (I know 2 intls who got in here with a 505 and 506), West Virginia University, LMU-DCOM, UIC. Add these to your list for sure as they are high yield for intls as far as I know

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to schools like SLU, Georgetown (I know one intl here who got in with a 510), TCU (I know 2 intls who got in here with a 505 and 506), West Virginia University, LMU-DCOM, UIC. Add these to your list for sure as they are high yield for intls as far as I know
Thank you! I think Georgetown no longer accepts internationals, so that sucks. So do you think it’s worth giving it a shot this cycle?

Thank you! I think Georgetown no longer accepts internationals, so that sucks. So do you think it’s worth giving it a shot this cycle?
Oh crap really? I am taking it off my list then and suggest you do the same. It really sucks because I have like 2 friends in there already. Well, there goes that pipe dream