This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosegold21

Reaction score
I know there's so many questions like this out there already, but I've been seriously stressing and I'm hopng this tread will either ease my anxieties or point me in a realistic right direction so that I'm not just worrying aimlessly.
Currently have a pretty crappy GPA at a 3.24 and I screwed up my science courses this semester. However, classes are showing an upward trend and I intend to keep it that way (I'm going to be a junior in august and I have 2 years of basically entirely science courses left--I'm a neuroscience major). I basically decided that I wanted to be a doctor last semester and that I wanted to major in neuroscience the summer before sophomore year so I jam packed my schedule and took bio, chem, and physics, all together (I know, I know). I got a C+ in physics I, and B- to B+ for the rest of the courses, with my second semester GPA being better (a 2.9 to a 3.4) These are my first science courses of college as well, with my first year being all humanities/gen eds. Also, my first 3 semesters of college I worked 30+ hours a week (stupid, I know). And during my sophomore year I commuted over an hour away. So here's where I'm at now-- Aiming for 4.0 the rest of my semesters (including orgo and biochem...pray for me). I also am behind on ECs. I'm going to be starting a volunteer position doing research in a lab with a great mentor who is really going to try to help me get published and truly understand and enjoy research, I'm going to start volunteering at the nearby hospital as well, which I plan on doing for the next 2 years. I'm going to be a Resident Assistant for hopefully the next two years on my campus. I'm gonna work A LOT less, and I'm thinking about trading my current job (working at a reception desk) for a tutoring job either within or outside my school (not working isn't an option for me, even if it's only 5 hours a week), and I'm hoping to shadow either this winter break or next winter break. I'm hoping and preparing to do amazingly on my MCAT to offset my lowered GPA (hopefully I can make my GPA at least a 3.5), and while my ECs are important, I know not to sacrifice grades for them. Now that I've finally decided on a career path I'm super serious about it and trying to be as realistic as possible, but I know I probably have no shot at top-tier MD schools unless I do a masters program or post bacc program, which I would love to avoid (as these are very expensive) or do phenomenally on my MCAT. However, if I manage to accomplish everything else, what are my chances at a mid-tier MD school? I'm also gonna apply DO but i'm trying to avoid the caribbean. also, if it helps, i'm URM and I go to what I call a lower end top-tier school, if that makes sense. Also, I'm gonna take a gap-year 100%, if that helps as well. I know there's so many of these questions out there, but everyone's story is super specific so thanksssss :)

Members don't see this ad.

Lol relaaaaaaaax. Now, take a deep breath. It sounds like you’re jam packing your schedule tight. It’s ok to not graduate in 4 years. I know that’s something you may not want to hear. But graduating in 5/6 years with a 4.0 science and cumulative GPA looks way better than graduating in 4 years with a buttload of C’s. You’re also planning on doing a lot of volunteering it seems like (and working?), my advise is to make sure you take between 12-14 credits a semester and ace those classes. Being a URM will help you in this process, but not by as much as you may think. I’m glad that you’re planning on taking a gap year, because it sounds like you need it. Going into medical school stressed out from college is like a death sentence on your mental psyche.

Reactions: 1 user