What are my chances/how many programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty_derp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, typical MS4 fear questions.

I go to a top 40 NIH funding allopathic medical school, and I'm an MS4 applying to PM&R this year. I took a year off after MS1 due to failing a few classes in first year, have not failed anything since.

Performance in preclinical years: poor but it's over :/ hope this won't keep me out of residency.
Performance clinical years: honors in 2 PM&R sub I's, high/honors grades in all required clerkships, lots of positive feedback

USMLE step 1: 204
USMLE step 2 ck: 242
CS: passed

1 IM letter
2 PM&R letters

I have 22 PM&R programs of middle range (3 upper tier) and 8 TY picked out in ERAS. Do I need to push myself into the next price bracket or am I good here? Would love to hear thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, typical MS4 fear questions.

I go to a top 40 NIH funding allopathic medical school, and I'm an MS4 applying to PM&R this year. I took a year off after MS1 due to failing a few classes in first year, have not failed anything since.

Performance in preclinical years: poor but it's over :/ hope this won't keep me out of residency.
Performance clinical years: honors in 2 PM&R sub I's, high/honors grades in all required clerkships, lots of positive feedback

USMLE step 1: 204
USMLE step 2 ck: 242
CS: passed

1 IM letter
2 PM&R letters

I have 22 PM&R programs of middle range (3 upper tier) and 8 TY picked out in ERAS. Do I need to push myself into the next price bracket or am I good here? Would love to hear thoughts.

If I were you, I would apply to more programs of both. PMR has gotten significantly more competitive over the past 3 or so years, and given that there are few spots and many more applicants than spots, programs have much more ability to pick and choose who they want unlike before. If I were you, I would double both your PMR and TY numbers and apply to prelims as well. TY's are very competitive, because you are competing against people going into derm, rad onc, ophtho, etc so applying to just 8 with numerous failed classes I think is a bit optimistic. I would apply to far more TYs and apply to prelim IM as well.

I'd apply to at least 30 prelim/TY programs. I'd apply to 40 PM&R programs, with your stats.
I'd also try to rotate at a few of the less sexy places so they know you and you've got a foot in the door, so to speak.

Now, you might not need all those programs, but it's better to err on the side of caution. Borrow extra money if you have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree on applying to at least 30 PM&R programs. It's always easier to apply to too many up front and turn down interviews. Your Step 2 and PM&R grades are great, as well as your 3rd year clinical grades, but that step 1 could hurt you and it's far better to be safe than sorry. As others have mentioned, PM&R has gotten more competitive (though we do say that every year...)

8 TY interviews is not enough unless they've very uncompetitive TY's, which is rare. Most TY programs are extremely competitive and tough to get into--typically they match derm, rad onc, rads, etc. residents. Chances are if it's in a desirable place to live, it's going to be very difficult to get an interview. TY programs out in the boonies tend to be a little less competitive, so you might have a better shot with them. If you see PM&R residents in a TY, it's a sign that the program is a little less competitive. Plus, it's the same cost to apply to 10 TYs as 8 TYs, so why only apply to 8?

I'd recommend applying to a minimum of 10 TYs if you're interested in them, and 10 prelim-IM programs. It might be worth applying to most or even every single TY and prelim IM program within short driving distance. Might as well apply to prelims that will be cheap to interview at and potentially save the hassle of a big move (or maybe a move at all).

Like I said--it's far easier to turn down interviews. It costs more money up front, but you'll feel much less nervous and increase your odds of matching into a prelim year and PM&R if you apply to more program. I would personally recommend aiming for at least 10 PM&R interviews (I personally don't see any reason to interview at more than 15, but I've heard of people interviewing at more) and maybe 8-10 prelim/TY programs. You may match into your top 2 choices for each, but you could potentially go further down the list. The most programs you interview at and rank, the better chance you have of matching into PM&R, and of not having to scramble for a prelim year position.

Remember--this past year PM&R was completely filled through the match, so you can't count on scrambling into it if you fail to match. If PM&R is the only specialty you see yourself in, go a little overboard with the applications, and then narrow things down if you do get too many interviews.

Thanks for the solid advice all around, greatly appreciate it. Definitely going to add programs to the roster in TYs and PM&R, ideally would like a categorical but would rather match than not match at all.

How do you guys know which programs are pre-lims and TY's on ERAS? It seems every program on there says "Transitional Year (Preliminary)"

The prelim programs are under Internal Medicine. They are not stand alone programs. If you look under IM programs, it will tell you whether those programs are categorical only or include prelim positions.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me on my competitiveness for PM&R (which programs, number of program I should apply to, gaps in my application).

Bio:
MS3 at a state MD school in the south without a home PM&R program
Step 1 - 243
Preclinical grades - All A's and B's
Clinical years - very little elective time in M3
Research - I'm working on an MSK based education study
My wife and I would love to stay in the south, but if I had the chance to train at a place like RIC or Mayo, we would certainly go there for the opportunities they present

Thank you all for any insight. I have learned a lot reading this forum, and I hope I can give back one day.