What Are My Chances? High sGPA, Low cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dividebyzero9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’ve been lurking on this forum for quite awhile, but this is my first post. I’m currently deciding between preparing for physician assistant or nurse practitioner/CRNA program applications. However, a part of me really wishes I had gone into the healthcare field sooner, and I regret not looking into medical school when I was in college. My cGPA is low (3.1), but my sGPA is high (4.0). I am a non-URM. I originally went to school for a non-science bachelor’s and am now in a second degree nursing program where my GPA is a 3.8. I haven’t seen anyone with stats quite like mine, and I didn’t want to make a decision to devote my time to the MCAT if even a high score can not redeem me, if that makes sense?
At the time I applied to college, my father was in jail due to alcoholism and opioid addiction. During college, I spent a lot of time coming home to care for him or visit him at rehabilitation clinics. This isn’t a “woe is me” story. I should have taken time off, but in the moment I was thinking, “I’m passing with B’s, it’s fine.” I wasn’t thinking about the future or potential graduate schools.
If I continue to take upper level science courses and maintain a 4.0 sGPA, would a solid MCAT score even give me a shot? I graduate from nursing school very soon and planned on taking classes/exam prep while working. I also work as a PCT on an oncology floor while in school.
I really appreciate honest opinions and insight!

Members don't see this ad.

As long is your MCAT is 500 or higher you should be able to receive interviews at some DO schools. Post your MCAT score here when available and you may be able to apply to MD schools also.