Dental What are my chances for Texas schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am applying to dental school this cycle. I'm excited! I am a Texas resident and would like to know my chances to be accepted into a Texas school. I am planning on applying to all of them (and ones in surrounding states such as oklahoma and louisiana). My goal school is the UTHealth Dental school in Houston.

My stats:
-3.76 GPA based off of school calculations, 3.72 based off of TMDSAS calculations (still have this semester before applying, however. I am taking 16 credit hours and things are looking well so far!)
-24 DAT AA/28 PAT (breakdown QR:30/RC:24/BIO:21/GC:21/OC:23/TS:22)
-100 shadowing hours of pediatric dentist, multiple general dentists, oral surgeon, periodontist
-200+ hours of community service hours volunteering with various organizations/church/school organizations, ongoing commitments
-382 hours worked as a medical scribe
-Biology major, Public Health minor and some fine arts courses (drawing, painting) taken also.

My grades show an upward trend (I recieved mostly B's my freshman/semester 1 of sophomore year). I have a semester that I did withdraw from classes due to poor health. However, during this semester I did take the time to actually switch to a pre-dental track from a pre-medical track, study for my DAT and shadow dentists.

Any advice would help, or any recommendations for potential schools to apply to! Thank you!
Metrics-wise, you better get interviewed in Texas. Learn about the matching process with TMDSAS. Network with students at the schools within Texas to get an idea of the different cultures at each school and what type of support you'd get. I'm going to presume hand skills won't be a big problem? Yeah, I'd say Oklahoma and LSU would be good backups, but add some privates to your list.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! I will do that. And I’m hoping hand skills won’t be an issue! I‘ve been drawing all my life! Haha. If you don‘t mind me asking, what is the benefit of applying to private schools? I’m not all too familiar with the logistics.
They'd be considered as "safeties" so to say, just in case things don't work out the way you hope with the TX schools. A way to still be a dentist this cycle and not waste a year reapplying. Think of them as back ups, but I'm sure you'll get interviews with the TX schools based on your app - from there it depends on your interview performance to turn those into acceptances. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.