MD & DO What are my chances for DO school after reinvention?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

egu09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope all is well and greatly appreciate your time and feedback for my situation. I'm writing in regards of my pre-medical experience, and was wondering if I could get your input on the chance I may have for MD or DO schools. I'm a 22 year old Hispanic female, and have lived all my life in Texas.

I have a cgpa of 2.8 and sgpa of 2.5 (4.0 as I begin retaking classes, and 2.6 before graduating with my BS in biology in 2015). Moreover, I have more than 200 hrs of shadowing a surgeon and podiatrist combined and 300 of community service (both health and non-health related). I have several professors who have seen my growth and can speak very well on my behalf (biology and technical writing), and got invited to take part in cancer-related research with a TA who noticed great performance in a vertebrate lab course. Should I be able to retake all courses I got a C or lower in (which, unfortunately, is almost all science courses), I see myself with a 3.5 cgpa and 3.4 sgpa in the next 2 years. I am trying to build up confidence to take the MCAT and score well after adequate performance on retakes.

Every time I feel like giving up, I am reminded of the patients I saw during shadowing, and how all thanked and supported me for being part of their experience with the physicians. Moreover, I am reminded of the contribution I provide to low income families in a clinic I volunteer in. I currently work as a substitute teacher for K-12 grades to fund classes, and get excited whenever I have the opportunity to mentor hopeful "pre" pre-med students.

I'm curious to know if this may be competitive for a post bacc or SMP for DO schools, or if I should finally part with an 8 year journey that is just undergoing reinvention.

I appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Do what you say you'll do and score well on the MCAT and you'll be just fine for DO. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
The C's you got in science courses should be an indication you may not be well suited for medical school. You have helped others in the past, and you were not a doctor. You don't have to be a doctor to help. Go into an accelerated BS RN, and see if you can do that. If not, Med school would crush you. If yes, be a nurse for a while and then go think about med school.

I appreciate your input, everyone! I understand it's not justifiable, but I was very young when I received the C's. I attended counseling after a rough time, academically and personally, and began seeing a new outcome on my grades, though it was much later in my degree. I've kept nursing as a backup plan for some time as well.

Is Kaplan recommend as a general guide, or does it help better in certain sections? I heard from a friend it offers short selections in verbal in comparison to the actual test.

If you can get your GPAs up to those numbers and do decently well on MCAT, any DO school in the country is yours.

Hello,

I hope all is well and greatly appreciate your time and feedback for my situation. I'm writing in regards of my pre-medical experience, and was wondering if I could get your input on the chance I may have for MD or DO schools. I'm a 22 year old Hispanic female, and have lived all my life in Texas.

I have a cgpa of 2.8 and sgpa of 2.5 (4.0 as I begin retaking classes, and 2.6 before graduating with my BS in biology in 2015). Moreover, I have more than 200 hrs of shadowing a surgeon and podiatrist combined and 300 of community service (both health and non-health related). I have several professors who have seen my growth and can speak very well on my behalf (biology and technical writing), and got invited to take part in cancer-related research with a TA who noticed great performance in a vertebrate lab course. Should I be able to retake all courses I got a C or lower in (which, unfortunately, is almost all science courses), I see myself with a 3.5 cgpa and 3.4 sgpa in the next 2 years. I am trying to build up confidence to take the MCAT and score well after adequate performance on retakes.

Every time I feel like giving up, I am reminded of the patients I saw during shadowing, and how all thanked and supported me for being part of their experience with the physicians. Moreover, I am reminded of the contribution I provide to low income families in a clinic I volunteer in. I currently work as a substitute teacher for K-12 grades to fund classes, and get excited whenever I have the opportunity to mentor hopeful "pre" pre-med students.

I'm curious to know if this may be competitive for a post bacc or SMP for DO schools, or if I should finally part with an 8 year journey that is just undergoing reinvention.

I appreciate the help!

Reactions: 1 users