Do NYC radiology programs have the same malignancy problems other NYC residencies do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
IM and surgery programs in NYC are renowned for being brutal, but do these toxic cultures extend to the rads programs there (NYU, Columbia, Cornell, SInai, Montefiore)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did not interview at Columbia or Cornell. NYU, Monte, both Sinais and Northwell/LIJ all seemed friendly with decent work-life balance, caseload/exposure and collegiality among residents, faculty and staff. The residents seemed happy and satisfied with their programs even when I spoke to a few of them over the phone individually outside of the interview or happy hours.

A few unique considerations to keep in mind though:
1) Be wary of travel between multiple sites, especially when you may have to take evening call at a different location.
2) Moonlighting opportunities and pay varied widely
3) Availability of ultrasound technologists during call were not the same across programs or different hospitals
4) Cost of "subsidized" housing, parking, and other fringe benefits varied widely

Reactions: 3 users
Lived in NYC my whole life and went to med school there too. Did a lot of research about most programs. Matched at a program in a different city but wouldn't have minded if I matched to any of the NYC programs I applied to.

I would say none of them are malignant at all. Cornell, Sinai, and NYU are known to be crazy chill. Almost too chill, but still great programs.

The nice thing about radiology is that theres not much scut besides answering the phones (idk if you would even count that as scut). Even in notorious hospitals (Downstate, Maimonides, Jacobi), everyone was friendly and residents enjoyed a very nice lifestyle.

The only program I saw that may have been brutal was Westchester MC, it seemed like a full resident ran program. This can be good though, as it can properly set you up for the lifestyle of a private practice radiologist. Residents and the program director were also pretty gung ho about the program. I ranked this program pretty high too.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 3 users